Why become a member? ×

Do the basslines/players on these tunes have flats on?

NJE

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='875702' date='Jun 23 2010, 06:34 PM']As far as I'm aware, Bernard Edwards rarely changed his strings on both his Precision and Stingrays but all of which were strung with roundwound strings, never flats. P-bass/old roundwounds = Good Times tone... not a Stingray as commonly believed![/quote]

I recall reading that he used a Tokai on a lot of recordings.

[quote name='NJE' post='876125' date='Jun 24 2010, 08:52 AM'].....I think the first thing I am going to do is try some flats on my backup bass. The songs might not have been played on flats but I have never tried them before so as Beedster said I feel I owe it to myself to try some. If it does go some way to re-creating the sound then that is a bonus.[/quote]

OldGit's post above mentions D'addario Chromes; I find they get a good tone for this type of music also. Not as thumpy & more pronounced mids (to my ears) than La Bellas - almost like an old set of round wounds with a bit of punch. Take ages to play in though! :)

Edited by nick

• 3 months later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='876639' date='Jun 24 2010, 05:23 PM']Maybe you should chat with Drewie.
He plays soul and disco and funk on flats
Didario Chromes I think...

Paging Drewie![/quote]

If you're wanting to hear the difference between flats and rounds, I wouldn't recommend Chromes as the ones to buy. As has been said, they take a fair amount of wearing in before you lose the clankiness. New on, they sound more like old roundwounds than flatwounds. I'd go for something like Pyramid Golds or Labella Deeps.

Take a look in teh thread "thinking of giving flats a try" for tons of advice about flats.