Why become a member? ×

D'Addario EPS170 Prosteel strings review

funkypenguin

Hey everyone

This is my first time using Prosteel strings, since ive used nickel coated more or less since i started playing so i thought i'd pop a review on here in case anyone is thinking of experimenting with/changing their strings. Many thanks to my bass teacher for sourcing these at a cheaper price!

Im using a 6 string Set with gauges .130 B, .100 E, .80 A, .65 D, .45 G, .30 C#

Right

Anyone whos used D'Addario before will know about the quality but if not, you can buy their strings in the knowledge that you're buying a quality product. Out of all the major string manufacturers ive tried (EB, Rotosound, Elite, Warwick and D'Addario) i would say they're certainly among the best (in my humble opinion). Ive never had a 'dead' string out of the box and they dont seem to fade as fast as some other makes of string.

Sound wise i love them. They seem to work very well with my double coil pickups to give a naturally bright, punchy sound but they maintain clarity and depth at the same time. It certainly makes a difference moving into the basses upper register. Nothing feels weak or strangled and they have an even tone right across the range. Depends on personal taste but they are quite a 'pingy' type of string. Their sound is ideal for metal, rock, funk and slap playing but they will fit in with anything if you tweak you EQ

These are the brightest strings in the D'Addario range and are availlable in the standard range of guages so you're bound to find a set to suit you if you like the sound of them. just a word of warning, these strings can be quite hard on the fingers if you really hammer your bass when you play. So take it easy :)

All the Best!

[quote name='notable9' post='98814' date='Dec 4 2007, 01:44 PM']Hi
R they smooth or coarse? Im looking for a nice set of rounds which feel nice on the fingers.
Note[/quote]

When the strings are brand new on the bass they do feel quite coarse on the fingers but once theyve been broken in a little they feel fine. And the sound amazing!
my advice is go for them and see what you make of them!
Hope this helps!
Ben

If I may, I'd like to add my review of D'Addario EXL170TP, Nickel Round Rounds, that I just got. I replaced Ernie Ball Super Slinkys of the same gauge with them. .045, .065, .080, .100. I got a "twin pack" for a couple dollars more than a pack of the Ernie Balls. The Slinkys have been a good set of strings, but the "e" string goes dead after a week or so. I play every day, for about 2 hours.

The D'Addarios are a lil more stiff than the Ernie Balls, but the tone more than makes up for that. What I noticed the most is the "evenness" of the strings. They all have the same power or output, and the "a" string really cuts through now. A fuller, richer tone is noticed with these new strings as compared to the slinkys. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as if you are a slapper, I'd go for the Slinkys...they have a "tinny" tone to them. But if you want a full, rich, cutting tone, (and what bassist doesn't) then get the D'Addarios.

As for the smooth or coarse issue, my fingers are so calloused, I could not tell the difference.

EDIT...I looked up my purchase date of the Ernies, and I had them on for about 1 month. So in reality, the "E" string did indeed last longer than one week.

Edited by jammie17

[quote name='d-basser' post='103017' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:16 AM']where did you buy them from , sound like what i might need for my 6er[/quote]

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL170TP-Twin-Pack-Bass-Guitar-Strings?sku=100156"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAd...ings?sku=100156[/url]

Hope this helps you.

Jim

Got to update you here. I am already on my second set of these strings. The "e" string went dead after about 5 days and the rest have followed. D'Addario have an online Return Authorization form to fill out, so I have. I have put on my second set of strings and will await their reply. I only rehearse at home, a couple hours a day, and these strings did not fair well at all. They did sound wonderful for a couple days, but I am disappointed. I used the blue steels(different manufacturer) for years and never had a problem, but as I am not performing right now, can't see the expense. Will let you guys know if D'Addario replace these strings.

Edited by jammie17

• 2 weeks later...

My second set have gone dead...."e" string especially.....I have sent them back to D'addario, and am awaiting their decision for replacement. They have a returns dept. for their strings!!?? I'm going back to the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. They may be a bit lighter in sound, but they lasted longer, and were easier to bend.

And as I am playing for a couple hours every day, I believe that I am noticing the "e" string starting to loose its twang much quicker than before. A, D, & G strings seem to be doing ok...but they still did not last as long as the Slinkys did. So, I'm running off to get a set of Slinkys today.

EDIT;

Slinkys back on. Will let the neck set for a few hours befor I adjust it. Action is a tad high for me, as the D'addarios pull a bit more than the Slinkys do. I sent off the Dadarrios, and will let you know what's up with their customer service. I have just never had strings go dead so quick on me, not even back in the 80's 90's heyday of partying and playing and sweating all over my basses and strings......ewwww....sorry..... :)

Edited by jammie17