Why become a member? ×

BASSIST ASSEMBLE!!!

Basska

[quote name='Basska' post='873545' date='Jun 21 2010, 03:17 PM']Hey everybody! I've been on tour for 6 days now and I'm suffering from some cramp. I've been doing stretches, warm up/warm exercises, but they don't seem to be helping. I think maybe I'm not stretching properly? Any thoughts?

Chris[/quote]
Is this cramp in your hands or something more general? If you're drinking more alcohol than normal (not unusual during tours) this could contribute. Also, if it's cramp in your hands, are you playing more forcefully/harder than normal (not unusual in gig situations where monitoring is poor)? The added exertion could also result in cramp. Again, if it is cramp in your hands, can you change (carefully) your technique to reduce longer stretches? It may be worth experimenting with different positions across rather than along the board? Good luck!

[quote name='lozbass' post='873564' date='Jun 21 2010, 03:32 PM']Is this cramp in your hands or something more general? If you're drinking more alcohol than normal (not unusual during tours) this could contribute. Also, if it's cramp in your hands, are you playing more forcefully/harder than normal (not unusual in gig situations where monitoring is poor)? The added exertion could also result in cramp. Again, if it is cramp in your hands, can you change (carefully) your technique to reduce longer stretches? It may be worth experimenting with different positions across rather than along the board? Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for that! It's in my hands and I believe I am being too forceful! School boy error on my part haha. Thanks again

Chris

I didn't play for about a year and when I returned to playing I started getting cramps in my hand too. I got one of those springy hand strengthener things sports shops sell and that (plus extra practice) did the trick. Alternatively a squeezy rubber ball would do the same thing.

I have had the same problem in the past, my hand would actually seize up to the point where the rest of the band are looking at me wondering what I'm doing because I'd stopped playing. Before warming up you would need to address the cause of your cramp first... no point warming up only to get cramp again. Usually it's a lack of sodium, you could try supplements to help you overcome this. Drinking at gigs should also be avoided, one of my major downfalls in the past but something I no longer do.

Then stretch. Scales and arpeggios help, break them up, starting mid-way up the neck, for example on a C major scale on the 8th fret of your E string (if you were to start lower down the neck then you'd be stretching your hand too far to begin with, it's better not to stretch so far too quickly). Mundane and perhaps a little boring but it works well for me. You need to get both your hands working. Progress and work all the way round the neck, it will vastly improve your dexterity during gigs as well. Set aside at least 20 minutes before you go on stage to do this

I would say adjust your strap if you wear it too low as well. It might look more rock and roll but I've always found this to be bad practice, it places unnecessary strain on the wrists. I don't claim to be an expert but this sort of stuff has helped me overcome cramp in the past.

Also a slab bodied bass can cut off circulation to the hand, which will make it go numb, because of the edge of the body pressing on your forearm/wrist over the length of a long gig. I've had that before and the only way to solve it is to #1 lower your strap for that Sid Vicious look or #2 use another bass.

Edited by gjones

• 7 months later...

I'm glad this has been mentioned as I am suffering greatly with this too. I thought it was down to playing a 4 string when I have always played 5 strings. I also thought it was because my left forearm muscle was severed when I got stabbed in '09, which was just before I started playing again after a break of roughly 5 years....