Why become a member? ×

Another Evah Pirazzi question

guyl

Thought I'd take the plunge and try a set of Evah's.

Currently using Corelli 370's. Bob Gollihurs "favourite string". The light gauge/lower tension has been a holiday for my left hand, but I think the payoff is a lack of depth and volume.

Many of you guys have made good comments on here about the Evah's. Loud, big sound, good pizz and arco. Has anyone compared the weichs with the regulars though? Are they very different?

Thanks for your advice.

Yes I've used both Evah regulars and weichs. The weichs didn't suit me - great sound and easy (almost TOO easy) to play. But I found them a little rubbery. Not enough resistance for me.
The regulars I absolutely love and have them now on both my basses. Great for orch playing and equally good for jazz. But they are noticeably thicker under the fingers and this takes a little while to get used to.

With the bow, they are very strong and responsive, and evenly so at all registers.
They have a nice sustain when played pizz - ideal for jazz.

I would recommend them.

The Major

I've been using Evah Pirazzis (regs) for about 18 months.
I haven't tried the weichs yet but they are supposed to be a bit easier on the hands which would be good for playing jazz. The regular Evah's are great with the bow and pizz on my bass though I will admit they are a little hard work. I replaced the G more recently with an Oliv which is a good solution to scratchy top string (besides working on my technique!) as well as a great way of mellowing out the tone of the whole bass. The Oliv blends wonderfully with the Evahs, the sound is very round and warm but still articulate and very responsive to right hand skips and the like. I will probably try Evah Weichs next time but the regulars come highly recommended.
It really depends on your bass I would hasten to add, obviously its difficult to try them all out without some considerable expense but if you want more tension then the Evahs will perhaps suit you (not that they are incredibly high tension, that's something of a misconception, though they are rather thick strings)