Why become a member? ×

Warm greetings to all fellow pluckers and slappers

CountBassist

Hello,
It's nice to see so many members of this special, and traditionally solitary, breed of musician sharing information and enjoying each other's company.
I've played bass, since the age of 14 years, in all types of bands. Currently now working predominantly with Big Bands.
I've also been through the endless search for the 'right' bass, buying a Sadowsky from New York and Lakland products, to name but a few, but I'm a Fender man through and through and always end up back with my faithful 1978 precision.
Original gear was all Fender, with huge 4x12 cabs and valve amps. I used to lift these 'wardrobes' up and down fire-escapes. Couldn't, and wouldn't, do it now. I’ve recently bought some Mark Bass gear, absolutely wonderful all round.
Anyway, it’s good to be in the gang.
Cheers all,
CountBassist

[quote name='Telebass' post='873305' date='Jun 21 2010, 09:39 AM']Greetings, from another knackered oldie using Markbass gear! Has definitely helped my back to get no worse than it is![/quote]

Hi Telebass,

And thank you as well for your warm welcome.

I'm sure that it's related to lifting heavey bass gear for years, but since I passed the half centuary I've started to go stiff in all the wrong places.

Cheers mate,

CountBassist

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I love good "P" as well, but health issues mean that I can't really justify having everything I would like - though I may still treat myself to a Classic 50's P in Honey Blonde, a 51 RI in Butterscotch (if I see one when I have the money), or a CIJ/MIJ Jazz....or all three if Santa, The Easter Bunny and Cupid decide they want to be nice to me.

At least they will go to a good home when I eventually throw a six.....my kids are already arguing who is going to have what, and I'm not even 48 yet.

[quote name='arsenic' post='873375' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:16 AM']Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I love good "P" as well, but health issues mean that I can't really justify having everything I would like - though I may still treat myself to a Classic 50's P in Honey Blonde, a 51 RI in Butterscotch (if I see one when I have the money), or a CIJ/MIJ Jazz....or all three if Santa, The Easter Bunny and Cupid decide they want to be nice to me.

At least they will go to a good home when I eventually throw a six.....my kids are already arguing who is going to have what, and I'm not even 48 yet.[/quote]

Hi Terry,

A thanks to you as well my friend.

I'm finding my old precision a bit too heavey now. Unfortunately it was made when Fender were at their worst, i.e. the late 1970s. I bought it new, then working in a professional band. I also bought a used 'twin', but fitted with EMG's, and this is even heavier than my original bass but has much more in the way of umph! This one obviously had a hard life before I bought it and, by the looks of it, was used by the England Cricket Team for practice session. Still, it sounds good though.

Thanks agan Terry,

Adrian

[quote name='alanbass1' post='874638' date='Jun 22 2010, 04:49 PM']Welcome aboard from another PBass enthusiast[/quote]

Hi alanbass1,

Many thanks to you also.

I think the beauty of the P bass is its simplicity.

After years of buying, and playing many different models including 6 strings and fretless, I’ve had to ask myself the question, what is a bass?

My role now is acting as the link between the rhythm section and the rest of the band. With the sort of big band work I'm undertaking I really do need to 'felt' rather than 'heard'.

My old P bass fits this role well.

Cheers,

CountBassist

PS Colin Hodgkinson may have a different perspective

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='874910' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:33 PM']Welcome from another 'lifer'. I started playing quite young too. Still seems like a good idea eh ?

:)

T[/quote]

Hi essexbasscat,

Many thanks for your warm welcome.

I've never been a guitarist, always bass. I reckon we made the right decision.

Cheers mate,

CountBassist