Why become a member? ×

Guest jonnyj

I've posted this up before but this kind of says it all about the "need" for more power [url="http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html"]1000w Valve Amp[/url]

As it is, my 100watt Marshall is plenty loud enough for most gigs that don't have a PA beefy enough to handle a bass DI'd. I s'pose if all you want is really heavy output stage distortion you might as well buy the smallest valve amp you can find and mike it up to a massively powerful digital power amp (preferably the venue's). If volume is what you want you're probably better off investing your hard earned in a few decent cabs.

So, 100watt Marshall Superbass is my choice and way lighter/cheaper to fix/better sounding IMO than an SVT or 400+

I liked the MesaB 400 and would favour that over an Ampeg...but maybe it was the cab that made the difference.
The MesaBoogie 1516..I think..was great whereas I can't recall the last time I tried an 8x10 Ampeg that didn't sound shot.
Maybe these hire amps had just been worked way too hard but that is the way it was.

My amp repair guy..who knows his onions, deffo has nothing good at all to say about the internals of Mesa Boogie these days so although I liked the sound, I wouldn't have one.

[quote name='SS73' post='875104' date='Jun 23 2010, 08:35 AM']Most of these SVT's are running ecc83's in the pre amp and it sounds like yours was too, with the correct 12dw7's in there they go a lot further without breaking up.[/quote]
do you mean 12bh7? lowering the preamp gain isn't gonna make it do more watts, just change the tone and make it break up later on the dial

[quote name='umph' post='875254' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:01 PM']do you mean 12bh7? lowering the preamp gain isn't gonna make it do more watts, just change the tone and make it break up later on the dial[/quote]

70's SVT , v1,3 & 4 =12dw7. v2 12ax7(ecc83). A 12dw7 is an ecc83 on anode 1 and an ecc82 on anode 2, but because they are not heard of over here ( even though Mullard made mine ), people just put ecc83's in the pre's on the svt. So like i said, most breakup earlier.

12bh7's are in the power stage.

Max Weber (located in Germany, [url="http://www.weber-amps.de/en/index.html"]Weber Amps[/url]) has cloned the Hiwatt DR201s and added some useful changes (DI out, per tube adjustable bias, etc.). As old Hiwatts in good shape are hardly available or very expensive I think they are a more reliable and affordable alternative if you are after the sound of the old Hiwatts (as I am). I am playing the MYWATT 200 (200 Watt, 4*KT88) since 3 years and highly recommend this amp. It has the classic Hiwatt sound with tons of clear headroom at less weight (the MYWATT 200 weights 22kg).

[quote name='SS73' post='875303' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:45 PM']70's SVT , v1,3 & 4 =12dw7. v2 12ax7(ecc83). A 12dw7 is an ecc83 on anode 1 and an ecc82 on anode 2, but because they are not heard of over here ( even though Mullard made mine ), people just put ecc83's in the pre's on the svt. So like i said, most breakup earlier.

12bh7's are in the power stage.[/quote]
yes 12bh7s provide more drive and have more headroom than 82s and 83s so you might actually get a lil more power before clipping. You are right svt preamps do have far to much gain with 83s throughout.