Why become a member? ×

Guest jonnyj

[quote name='jonnyj' post='872248' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:03 PM']I know lightweight and valve dont go together. But I want to know what is the lightest valve amp going.

At the moment I am looking at the ORANGE TERROR BASS 500. What seperates this from regular valve amps, and can somebody comment on their sound.

I am just looking for a list of amps names really, however any info/advice is welcome.

Cheers.[/quote]

The Terror Bass 500 is hybrid amp. Valve pre-amp but a digital solid-state power stage so that is why it's light.

There have been several reviews here and an excellent video demo.

The Search function will help you find them.

The lightest all valve amp is probably the Ashdown Little Bastard, or maybe the Orange Tiny Terror (guitar version, but can also be used for bass). They are both low wattage though, having more power requires bigger transformers, more tubes etc and that's when it starts to get heavy! I have a Terror Bass but haven't A/B-ed it against any real valve amps so I can't really say much apart from the fact that is sounds good. I really want to try out the Ashdown LB and may end up doing a swap for one at some point if I like them.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='872268' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:19 PM']Most people don't class amps without a valve power stage as valve amps. I think it is misleading to call hybrids valve amps. Are you looking for an amp with a valve in the preamp, or an amp with a valve power stage?[/quote]

That's right, there are plenty of lightweight amps with a valve in the pre-amp section. To get that true valve driven punch you need a valve power section which = heavy..............

[quote name='jonnyj' post='872248' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:03 PM']What do you consider to be the best valve head?[/quote]

Really? You're asking that question to a load of musicians? It's akin to asking "Which is better, precision or jazz bass?", any answers you get from a question with that wide a scope are going to be entirely subjective.

I expect some people will say Trace V4/V6/V8's, others Marshall VBA's, perhaps some will say Orange AD200's, a couple might say DHA.....

Get my jist?

Really you need to start asking about specific things you want such as tone, ease of overdrive, construction quality, power outputs, weight etc if you want relevent answers.

The biggest difference IMO are the levels of input gain and the tweakabiilty of the eq. Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ for me all the way as it was clean, flexible and very powerful. I wouldn't mind having another.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='872373' date='Jun 20 2010, 02:57 AM']The biggest difference IMO are the levels of input gain and the tweakabiilty of the eq. Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ for me all the way as it was clean, flexible and very powerful. I wouldn't mind having another.[/quote]

I agree regarding headroom and ultra clean high volume gigging situations. I had a 1974 SVT which was wonderful but got 'gritty' at relatively low volume to the Boogie. For out and out tone I really like Hiwatt's but these never cut it at gig volumes for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='872340' date='Jun 20 2010, 12:58 AM']My experience was that the modern SVTs sound dull, and are far too heavy. The AD200b does it for me.[/quote]

+1
I will get one those, one day. My vote goes towards the ad200b.

As a comparison (to my orange ad140, the guitar version of the bass amp) the terror bass does lack the same warmth as a real tube output stage. And it's overdrive sound isn't as gritty as I'd like, it doesn't react to the input volume to as well as an all tube amp. However the tube pre gives enough warmth for me and a great transparant amplification of the bass. You can hear the tonal differences between basses and the way they are played. It also take pedals very well.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='872373' date='Jun 20 2010, 02:57 AM']Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ for me all the way as it was clean, flexible and very powerful.[/quote]

This is why I have a 400+. If I wanted a grittier sound I would be getting an Orange.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='872273' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:23 PM']The lightest all valve amp is probably the Ashdown Little Bastard, or maybe the Orange Tiny Terror (guitar version, but can also be used for bass). They are both low wattage though, having more power requires bigger transformers, more tubes etc and that's when it starts to get heavy! I have a Terror Bass but haven't A/B-ed it against any real valve amps so I can't really say much apart from the fact that is sounds good. I really want to try out the Ashdown LB and may end up doing a swap for one at some point if I like them.[/quote]

valve junior is lighter than those!

my favorite valve amp is probably the simms ap200 just because of the looks and how loud it is.

[quote name='pete.young' post='872893' date='Jun 20 2010, 07:24 PM']Burman. Next![/quote]

They are very very nice, especially if you use them with the original valves. They were built with the same no expenses barred approach as hiwatts - great stuff.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='872442' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:35 AM']I agree regarding headroom and ultra clean high volume gigging situations. I had a 1974 SVT which was wonderful but got 'gritty' at relatively low volume to the Boogie.[/quote]

Most of these SVT's are running ecc83's in the pre amp and it sounds like yours was too, with the correct 12dw7's in there they go a lot further without breaking up.