Why become a member? ×

Ampeg and Aguilar (Ampuilar?)

Tee

Hello. I'm looking for some advice. On the not too distant horizon, i quite fancy getting a new bass rig, made up of a SS head and very likely, a 4x10 cab.

I currently gig with an Ampeg BA500 combo, which is essentially an SVT350H combined with a 2x10. At rehearsals however, i use a 4x10 cab and i much prefer the output. To be specific, its an Ampeg B2RE head and i think, a Bseries 4x10.
I like the Ampeg sound and vibe. I play Fenders and Gibsons and i like the tone through Ampegs. My dream rig would be a SVT Classic head with an 8x10, which i once used at a gig (hired rig). I could fork out for this set up, however the logistics put it out of the question: weight, size and too pro for my non-pro band, at this point in time.

So, my thoughts are an Ampeg head, most likely solid state and because i like the vintage vibe/look, possibly an Aguilar DB410 cab. I love the silver face/grille you see. Looks-wise, it's more interesting to me, than matching it up with a b-series or SVT cab.

I like simplicity, so the less knobs, switches and channels, the better. I'm not a fan of graphic equalisers either. 3 dial rotary eqs are just fine with me.
So, my example would be an Ampeg B1RE (300 watts @ 4 ohms) and an Aguilar DB410 (700 watts @ 4 ohms). What jumps out at me however, is the difference in wattage. Could it be too great?
Does anyone have any experience with mixing the two brands or indeed have any other combination suggestions. I'm reasonably flexible. The key is simple, loud and classic/retro essentially.

As ever, those in the know, please dispense your knowledge forthwith. :) Ta.

Hey there Tee,
I have an 'Ampuilar' rig, consisting of and Aguilar Ag500sc and an Ampeg classic 2x10 and 1x15. even tho the aguilar is 'only' 500 watts there's more than enough power there for my needs. The sound is a great marriage of sheer power from the Aggie and ampeg beef from the cabs. The Aguilar is tonally verstaile but it mainly excels in getting the sound of your bass to the speakers without changing it's fundamental character.
I'd recommend it!
craig

I'd be tempted to get the Ampeg SVP-CL, which has the preamp section of the Classic SVT head with a full compliment of preamp valves. Plug that into a power amp (eg. QSC RMX 850) and go out of that into an Aguilar DB410.

In mono bridged mode, the QSC would give you the kind of power you'd want for the Aguilar cab and the Ampeg preamp would give you that Ampeg sound. I think the Aguilar cab would give you just that bit more definition and clarity than the Ampeg equivalents.

The end result should be the classic Ampeg sound (or near enough) with lots of power, clarity and definition - and much more portable than an 8x10 (EDIT: especially if you get two Aguilar DB210s instead of one DB410)!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='96123' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:15 PM']I'd be tempted to get the Ampeg SVP-CL, which has the preamp section of the Classic SVT head with a full compliment of preamp valves. Plug that into a power amp (eg. QSC RMX 850) and go out of that into an Aguilar DB410.

In mono bridged mode, the QSC would give you the kind of power you'd want for the Aguilar cab and the Ampeg preamp would give you that Ampeg sound. I think the Aguilar cab would give you just that bit more definition and clarity than the Ampeg equivalents.

The end result should be the classic Ampeg sound (or near enough) with lots of power, clarity and definition - and much more portable than an 8x10![/quote]

I think the SVP-CL might be a single 12AX7 preamp. The one that's based on the old SVTs is the SVP Pro, with four 12AX7s and a 12AU7. I run one with a 500+500 power amp, two fifteens and two tens and it's almost as filthy as an old SVT.

[quote name='The Funk' post='96127' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:24 PM']You could well be right about me mixing up the CL and the Pro. Unfortunately the only Ampeg product I own is their valve DI, the SVT-DI. It's cool but I wish I'd got the CL or Pro preamp instead.[/quote]

actually you might be right - the CL has two 12AX7s and looks like a rationalised version of the SVT preamp. Both CL and Pro are discontinued anyway, which is a shame. Wonder if there's a market for a Behringeresque copy? After all, that's all the megabuck Alembic preamp is (a copy of an old Fender preamp)

edit: sorry, posted this before your last reply, we were both looking at the same site!

Edited by bremen

[quote name='The Funk' post='96137' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:53 PM']The now discontinued Warwick Quadruplet preamp is (I am told) a clone of the old Fender Champ circuit.[/quote]

very similar to the Alembic F2-B.
[quote]I can't understand why all these companies have discontinued their valve preamps.[/quote]

I'm building a preamp based on the Alembic/Fender. 2 channels; one for the neck pup one for the bridge. Want one?

[quote name='bremen' post='96131' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:34 PM']Both CL and Pro are discontinued anyway,[/quote]

Are you sure? I am prepared to be corrected, but I can't see why Ampeg would discontinue the newest preamp (CL) and their best selling preamp (SVP) - unless of course something new and great is on its way...

Would love to see what was better than the preamp sections of the Classic SVT and SVT2-Pro heads, from Ampeg!

p.s. I am running the new style SVP-Pro in my rack with a 1u poweramp. Saaaaweeeeeet!

[quote name='dood' post='96151' date='Nov 29 2007, 02:34 PM']Are you sure? I am prepared to be corrected, but I can't see why Ampeg would discontinue the newest preamp (CL) and their best selling preamp (SVP) - unless of course something new and great is on its way...

Would love to see what was better than the preamp sections of the Classic SVT and SVT2-Pro heads, from Ampeg!

p.s. I am running the new style SVP-Pro in my rack with a 1u poweramp. Saaaaweeeeeet![/quote]

They're still on the Ampeg website but googling for them always brings up 'not available' or 'discontinued' from retailers.

[quote name='bremen' post='96162' date='Nov 29 2007, 02:49 PM']They're still on the Ampeg website but googling for them always brings up 'not available' or 'discontinued' from retailers.[/quote]

oooh crickey!

Well, the advantage of a preamp/power amp set-up is that you can get the tone you want with all the power you're after for your cabs. And your question was about the power difference between the 300W head and the 700W cab.

I can understand you not wanting to bother with a preamp/power amp set-up though! The look of a rack case doesn't really fit with the vintage vibe you're after. Although Ampeg do make rack cases which look like this:

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I'd go for the Aguilar DB728 power amp, the matching DB680 preamp AND the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp. All this through an Ampeg SVT810HP cabinet. The Aguilars and the cabinet are discontinued, but they're out there.

Edited by Amokoma

[quote name='The Funk' post='96128' date='Nov 29 2007, 01:28 PM'][url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svpcl/index.html"]<a href="http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svpcl/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svpcl/index.html[/url]</a>

The CL has 2 x 12AX7s and 2 x 12AU7s.

The DI I have has 1 valve in it - can't remember if it's a 12AX7 or a 12AU7.[/quote]

[i][b]The SVP-CL all-tube preamp is based on the preamp section of the ’70s era SVT tube head. The signal path through the (2)12AX7 and (2)12AU7 tubes accurately replicates the original 12DW7 tube design. The 5-position Ultra Low control allows you to fine-tune your tone in the range from 600Hz down, as shown below.
[/b][/i]

From the Ampeg site.

Edited by jammie17