Why become a member? ×

Avoiding Rip Offs

merello

Hi Leesbrushes and welcome :)

Many members here are happy with paypal; others aren't. Some like bank transfers; others don't. Some are only happy with cash and a face to face handover (but that's not really an option for you, I suppose!)

What I'm saying is that payment preferences vary from person to person. I find the best approach is to PM the seller indicating an interest in the item and asking how they'd like to be paid. If you're happy with the method they propose then that's great. If you're not happy with their suggestion you can always propose an alternative and see how the buyer feels about it.

In any event, most people here would sympathize with concerns surrounding sending money out one's country of residence. As for the recent BassChat moderators 'health warnings' about Paypal, well, I think they're a [i]little [/i]bit overblown. If someone wants to scam someone else they'll usually find a way whatever the payment method. As long as you use the 'payment for goods' Paypal option rather than 'gift paypal' you're about as safe as you ever can be when trading at a distance.

For further reassurance try searching the seller's forum username in the 'Feedback' sub-forum [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/23-feedback/"]here[/url]. It's a good indication if they've already got some positive comments about them.

Best wishes for a happy conclusion to your trade :)

Edited by skankdelvar

thank you mr. purveyor
over the years I have gathered very useful info on both here and talkbass.
and all questions or info have needed could be found with no need to actually ask.
I only needed to look around.
it took a need to respond to an add to sign up and im glad I did
I simply did not want to offend anyone or look like the newbie bitting off more than he could chew..
stepping in and offering a pay pal payment when it seemed there were problems with it there.
I personally have done a lot of bis with it with no problems.
thanks again..
I may be a newbie but over the years of info on here from people like yourself..I don't feel that way

• 1 month later...

Just had this one as a reply to a Gumtree Ad.
I reported it instantly and Gumtree confirmed it was a scam as I suspected.

Just letting you peeps know. BEWARE

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Arial][size=2][b]"[/b][i]From: Bauer Franz <[email protected]>
To: Me
Sent: Saturday, 28 February 2015, 7:30
Subject: Guitar[/i][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][i]I am buying it internationally to canada for my client. Don't worry about the pick up,my shipping agent will be coming to pick it up. I'll like you to send me your address so that my shipping agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary things. i would pay you through PayPal as it is the fastest & easiest way for me to make payment at this moment, do not worry about paypal charges. Transport agent to come to your home directly for the pickup. If you accept this transaction you should send me a PayPal money request if you don’t already have one, so that i can proceed with the transfer and then we can arrange for my transport agent to come for the pick up, after you receive your money. I will need your home address too for the pick up to be arranged. [/i]

[i]PayPal Name :[/i]
[i]PayPal Email :[/i]
[i]Mobile Number:[/i]
[i]Total Amount: [/i]

[i]I expect your reply.[/i]
[i]Best Regards. :)"[/i][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Jazzneck

• 1 month later...

LOL...

I had to look up JANI/II/III. I see now....I own a Warwick Streamer Stage II that I bought in 1989. It has the adjustable brass nut of course, but it wasn't called that back then. Glad I know now...just in case I ever want to sell it!!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Tony40' timestamp='1429625668' post='2753369']
LOL...

I had to look up JANI/II/III. I see now....I own a Warwick Streamer Stage II that I bought in 1989. It has the adjustable brass nut of course, but it wasn't called that back then. Glad I know now...just in case I ever want to sell it!!
[/quote]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='albinokiller' timestamp='1447008012' post='2904133']
Hi...please help...how secure is escrow transaction through [url="https://www.transpact.com/"]https://www.transpact.com/[/url]

Thx
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know this too.