Why become a member? ×

Avoiding Rip Offs

merello

I'm not sure what good sending the scan of an ID card might be (is it someone in the UK asking for that... doesn't sound like it), it isn't something that I'd ask for or find of benefit in ascertaining someone trustworthiness (unless it has your address, photo and can be backed up with relevant corresponding documents/images). Though conversely, I'd not take a blind bit of notice if someone offered me an ebay username as 'proof' that someone was honest, it can mean very little and is fairly flimsy proof of honesty. Unfortunately if it is an expensive item and you/the buyer are in different countries and can't reach an agreement, I'd just let it go and move on... unless the buyer has some super-duper credibility (a forum moderator etc) and you can trust them by sending the bass before payment. Have you considered using a '3rd party' to hold the bass/payment until you can both be satisfied?

Hello

Thank you for your answer.

In fact we are from different countries, thus the difficulty in reaching an agreemen (which I find totally understandable).

Nevertheless, I think we have reach an agreement and how can things be done. Now I just have to wait and see.

Regards from sinking Portugal

• 2 months later...

I've made a couple of trades on here both of which went fine. However there is a period of time where you feel pretty vulnerable. With the increase in BC'ers looking for trades, has anyone got any tips for a safe trade of you don't live close to each other?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking for some advice regarding a over seas swap.. UK to France

The I'm guy trading with is sound.
Although I have no doubt he's genuine what worries me is actually getting each-others basses.

Has anyone done it before and how have you gone about it?

What have you done about tax/duty etc!?

Edited by DanEly

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1370351754' post='2099511']

What have you done about tax/duty etc!?
[/quote]
No extra tax and duty between EU member states, if that's what you are worried about. (there can be on some things such as cars and in some cases buying from a storefront you may have to pay your local vat rate if it's applicable or higher) I've never had to pay anything on secondhand goods.

• 9 months later...

[color=#282828][size=4]
I got this reply to an ad for a Redsub combo that I have on Gumtree and North West Bands. Its also on here but you lads are too nice to try this one. Call me paranoid but I think this is a scam! If I'm wrong I will buy a hat and eat it. It was from a [email protected].

This is the reply I got -

Thank you for getting back to me. Am really satisfied in buying your AD.I'm ready to pay your asking price £275 including the PayPal transfer charges,How i wish i could come to inspect this item but currently i'm working away from the country... But the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract now so am presently on sea.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to[url="http://www.paypal.com/"]http://www.paypal.com[/url]. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me.I need your PayPal Full name and email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks

What would you think? [/size][/color]

A suggestion for all. If you see a rare bass for sale on here - do a google search and see if it was for sale elsewhere recently. You may find, as I did, that someone is selling a bass on here for at least £800 (!!) more than he bought it for just days ago....
I'd hate to see anyone fall into the trap...

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1396352712' post='2412529']
A suggestion for all. If you see a rare bass for sale on here - do a google search and see if it was for sale elsewhere recently. You may find, as I did, that someone is selling a bass on here for at least £800 (!!) more than he bought it for just days ago....
I'd hate to see anyone fall into the trap...
[/quote]

Is the bass worth £800 more?

There was a massive discussion - that got very heated - about a year ago that basically asked if it was acceptable to 'flip' basses for profit.

Essentially - a bass is worth whatever you want to pay for it. You only get ripped off if you get conned into paying more than it is worth to you. "Worth" is a tricky concept...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1396355514' post='2412586']
There was a massive discussion - that got very heated - about a year ago that basically asked if it was acceptable to 'flip' basses for profit.

Essentially - a bass is worth whatever you want to pay for it. You only get ripped off if you get conned into paying more than it is worth to you. "Worth" is a tricky concept...
[/quote]

Yeah that was my thought process.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1396355514' post='2412586']

[/quote]

To a certain degree I agree with you. Nothing wrong with making a bit of cash on your instrument. My issue is with folks who blatantly do it for 'big profit' and lie when asked for information.
I missed out on an Aria SB1000 on eBay at the tail end of last year. It went for £670 and I was kicking myself as it was a nice bass. Only a few days later I got a response to my "SB1000 Wanted" advert from the same guy who won the eBay auction for the bass I missed out on. He wanted £1450 for the very same bass he paid only £670 for!! ( I know it was the same bass as the serial numbers matched) When I quizzed him about it and asked why he was selling it so quickly after buying it he said that he was new to bass and it was wasted on him. Strange bass for a newbie? He also claimed he wasn't a "trader/seller/buyer" He has since over the last month got in contact with me again, via a different advert I have up, offering another SB1000 for a +£1K price and he also has 2 on eBay at the minute for prices around £1250. He's also had adverts on Gumtree for SB's around the Cardiff/Monmouth/Midlands area. And he claims and doesn't 'buy and sell"??
Like I say.....making a bit of cash is one thing but blatantly lying to squeeze every penny out of a punter?

[quote name='Ernie's ball' timestamp='1404146085' post='2489752']
Like I say.....making a bit of cash is one thing but blatantly lying to squeeze every penny out of a punter?
[/quote]

Indeed. Within the BC community flipping is a hot topic and understandably so. But buying stuff to move on [i]immediately[/i] (if this is the case) is about as close to trading as it gets; to claim in such circumstances that one is not a trader is therefore questionable. Better to be open about it, IMO.

At one time there was a BC-er who was buying stuff off ebay in the USA and advertising it here as the 'cream of his collection, gutted to see it go, etc., etc.' before the item had even arrived in the UK! He is no longer with us.

As he was also something of a disputatious poster some might consider this a good thing.

Edited by skankdelvar

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CH161' timestamp='1405442148' post='2501939']
I'm just wondering what thoughts are as to the best/safest way of making payments?
Good old cash on collection is best I think, but what about overseas?
[/quote]

Hello,

Having sold a couple of basses over BC I had to let others trust me... I know it´s tough, specially when you´re dealing with someone that you don´t know... I got paid by bank transfer and Paypal and both transactions went very well! If you´re buying overseas I guess you don´t have that many options.

Just make you sure you gather as many info as possible about the seller.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Alex

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1405457181' post='2502149']
Hello,

Having sold a couple of basses over BC I had to let others trust me... I know it´s tough, specially when you´re dealing with someone that you don´t know... I got paid by bank transfer and Paypal and both transactions went very well! If you´re buying overseas I guess you don´t have that many options.

Just make you sure you gather as many info as possible about the seller.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Alex
[/quote]

I agree Alex, it's a good thing to trust somebody as a buyer and it is certainly nice to be trusted as a seller.

I was just wondering if Paypal offered any real protection in an overseas transaction, Just in case of a problem?

• 5 months later...

first off ..
hello.
new here..
although I have read posts on here for some time as a guest.
I recently joined so that I could reply to a bass for sale.
a model that I have been interested in for a while now.
I have seen a lot of posts about the distrust with pay pal.
my wife buys alot on e bay and has had a pay pal account for some time and it seems to help protect her when buying things.
I guess my question is what method of payment is preferred in the uk.
I am in the us.
i don't want to offer a payment method that is not looked upon favorably there but I want to also feel safe sending money for what is pretty substantial.
forgive my ignorance but I rarely buy so far away...and never this large of a sum.
thanks to all
lee