Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR900

E_MaN

[quote name='E_MaN' post='95885' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:13 PM']I'm thinking of looking at trying out an Ibanez SR900. For those of you that have one or have tried one out what do you think of it? What were the Pro's and con's for you? And if you do own one any problems down the line?[/quote]

The necks are excellent (unless you need a fat precision feel).

The p/ups and eq are pretty good, the bridges are average...

The build quality is very good too, being Made in Korea ;-)

Best thing really is the 5pc neck through design, feels great.

If you can get the SR1000, the 4 string is £690 inc. hardcase.

The SR900 is £540 with no 'case. Unless you can find one s/h.

Anyway, basically it's a great instrument, IMHO of course!

Well, I got SR1005.

Sound's good, a lot of variety, Bartie's ok here.
Neck's good too.
Eq's no good - when i'm switching Treble, sound's gone sometimes( very weak signal, and it comes back to normal after while), and it's about Prestige model.. So, I dunno, what to even think here.

All in all, you shouldn't loose, if you'd take, but I'd recommend to think about SR1000 Prestige.

I'd also consider a Cort Artisan A4 which I believe is made in the same factory to an almost identical spec. When I bought mine I played both the SR900 and the A4. They were virtually identical but the A4 simply felt better in my hands. It was also £100 cheaper!

[quote name='tempo' post='96025' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:46 AM']It is a great bass, I would choose one over a US fender everytime, on build quality and ease of play. I do however prefer the SR500 range, which have the same hardware & 'tronics, but with a bolt-on wenge bubinga neck, mmm...[/quote]

+1. The SR500 is amazingly good value for money. I prefer the bubinga neck (I think the SR900 has maple), and you still get the barts. You won't get a better bass for the money. The only reason I don't play one is that I prefer a fatter Precision neck profile - the SR necks are very thin.

[quote name='tempo' post='96025' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:46 AM']It is a great bass, I would choose one over a US fender everytime, on build quality and ease of play. I do however prefer the SR500 range, which have the same hardware & 'tronics, but with a bolt-on wenge bubinga neck, mmm...[/quote]

yeah, i prefer the SR500. i love the wenge bubinga neck and mahogany body, which just seems more right to me. i think they look better, as well. you can see mine in my avatar

I have an SR900. after trying out as many bass' as possible in one day i came to conclusiuon that this was the best bass. Why?

The eq means you can get so many different bass sounds with just one bass.

Awesome build quality and the thru-neck feels sooo good!

well worth the money!

what colour were yo thinking of getting?
I chose black

When i bought mine the Andertons Techs said that Ibanez were pulling the 900 from the range at the end of the year. Dunno if thats just a rumor though.

I have an SR900 which I use regularly in my covers band. I too found that it naturally lacks a bit of low end, but the onboard EQ is very versatile and it only takes a little tweak to get it on par with my Warwick. The bass is as light as anything and very comfortable for when I have to play for a couple of hours in an evening. To compensate the light body the through-neck and through-body-stringing means that it will sustain for days. External build quality is very good, with features that you'd expect on a bass at least twice the price. The internal wiring and soldering isn't the neatest i've seen, but the electronics haven't failed yet thankfully.

I think I paid something like £550-560 for mine from PMT in Romford. Haven't regretted it as it makes a great workhorse bass and it's close to earning it's keep :)

[quote name='E_MaN' post='97666' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:29 PM']thats for the opinions guys!!! The lack of low end might be a bit of a worry....I'll definetly have to give it a go, its between this or a Jazz or a Warwick with a little more saving so we'll see![/quote]

I would strongly recommend trying the Corvette $$ if you're considering a Warwick. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay at the moment. You'll certainly have no problem with lack of low end - the sound is huge.

NOT A JAZZ!!! a jazz (a standard fender, anyway) isn't in the same league as the warwicks or the ibanez. the sound on the corvette $$ is huge, as Simon1964 said, but i find its not so good for slap bass as the pickups get in the way. i haven't played a fender active jazz, but it cant be any better (i cant imagine it being as good) than either the ibanez or the warwick.

also jazz basses just get boring... get something different!

• 1 month later...

I couldn't resist adding to tghis thread! I have a SR900 in an amber finish. I totally love it! It's a really well balanced bass and the curved profile at the back is really comfortable. It's a great versatile bass, superb feel smooth fast neck, great attention to detail and really, really well made. 100% satisfied,! I've owned Status, MusicMan Stingray, an aray of Fenders, but this is my best yet! :) J

[quote name='sifi2112' post='126506' date='Jan 23 2008, 10:39 PM']Have a look a Ibanez DWB3... same sort of specs...[/quote]

Theres a DWB on the Bay - Item number: 200193293189

It's got no bids, starting at £200 inc. case.

I have one, it's an amazing bass :)

Edited by David Nimrod