Why become a member? ×

Peavey TNT115S Combo

radansey

Have just seen a S/H one for sale in a local shop (old trim so probably mid 90's vintage) for £120 (I maybe would make them an offer for around a ton cash).

Any experiences of them (apart from the fact that it's BLOODY heavy!!). I intend to go and try it out wiv me bass at the w/e - or will it be a wasted journey??

Visually looks OK (a few scuffs here and there) and has all the features that I desire but I don't want my heart to rule my head.

Any comments, good, bad or indifferent would be most gratefully received.

TIA,

Ross

I have one of these, I let my former band mates keep a hold of it since i've no room for it and they've no bass amp.

I always thought it was a great amp. I could get a variety of reasonably nice tones from it which betrayed the fact it had as much elegance as a tank.
Its pretty loud but its built like a bomb shelter...and yes, its heavy haha. I think Peavey make some great amps.

But do try your luck with working out a price. Its second hand so why not?

Can't go wrong.

I'm using a TNT150BW - different model, but still basically a 150w 1x15" Peavey combo: heavy, solid, plenty loud for rehearsal and gig use if you also DI into a PA.

As you'd expect, it's got less sparkle than a combo with smaller speakers, but I augment it with a TE BLX80 combo.

Go for it if it's functioning okay.

As it happens, I think I'll soon be trading mine in against a Tour 450 head & TVX410 cab.

Mark

I don't know if mine's a TNT one, it's old, but has a greeny/blue colour for all the printed stuff, so not as old as the one above (I think?). Anyway, it's a 150W 1 x 15" combo, 200W with extension cab, very loud, very useful EQ, and very useful (for me) crossover outputs. If you can get it for £100 it's way better value than anything else you can get for that price.

Well, I took me bass and went and auditioned it this morning.

A good range of tones/EQ available - good scope for lots of knob-twiddling (oo-err missus). All OK apart from a dirty pot, a few scuffs here and there - a brand new one would probably collect a few scuffs in a very short time anyway!!

Asked the 'cash' price, £110, but knocked them down to £100 (woo-hoo) then tried to lug it back to the car which was parked up a hill (nowhere else to park unfortunately). Will deffo need to fit casters and side-handles - else there will be serious back and 'nad trouble. I am hopefully going to use it tomorrow morning (I play in a church music group) then take it to work Monday and give the pots and switches a squirt of Servisol and a general tidy-up.

Many thanks for those who gave their advice.

Ross

[u]UPDATE[/u]

Didn't use it Sunday AM - I thought that it would be pushing it to use without a prolonged knob-twiddle session first (amps have that effect on me :) )

Emailed Peavey customer services in the US yesterday, they emailed a schematic pdf today. Now seriously looking at castors/wheels and inset handles. Any ideas for suppliers, Maplin are crap (no stock in local branches), Adam Hall, any other suggestions??

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

[u]UPDATE[/u]

Combo dismantled. Cleaned all the pots and switches with Servisol - no more crackly Master Vol pot. Bought a pair of side handles from Maplin (£4.99 ea) - now fitted after a bit of drill and jigsaw work. Also replaced dented rear corner plates with spares from my old Peavey Microbass - perfect fit, must be a standard Peavey pressing.

Looks and sounds great. I need to sort out the castors - not sure whether to screw directly into the bottom of the cab or make a 'skateboard' to wheel it around from A to B. Any suggestions/advice??

Ross

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='104571' date='Dec 15 2007, 01:31 AM']I remember back in the day when I worked in IKEA, they sold pretty heavy duty looking castor's. Individually IIRC, for a few quid each.

Might be worth a shot if you are near one.[/quote]
No No No. Get the proper stuff - theres probably loads on the interweb. Ikea ones will maybe last i gig.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='104658' date='Dec 15 2007, 02:26 PM']Get the proper stuff[/quote]

Its a castor, its not like someone buying diesel for a petrol car. Who wants to pay as much for the castors as they did for the amp?

Im not defending their products in anyways but they're made for filing cabinets and the like, I doubt they'd take the combined weight of newspaper to break.

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='104752' date='Dec 15 2007, 08:00 PM']Its a castor, its not like someone buying diesel for a petrol car. Who wants to pay as much for the castors as they did for the amp?

Im not defending their products in anyways but they're made for filing cabinets and the like, I doubt they'd take the combined weight of newspaper to break.[/quote]
Its about fitness for purpose. How often do filing cabinets get moved - are they pushad across car parks etc, or do you think people who put wheels on their gear only use them indoors?

[quote name='beerdragon' post='105026' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:46 PM']£120 would seem a good price if its the same as this one.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-TNT-115-S-bass-amp_W0QQitemZ290191623452QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-TNT-115-S-bas...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]
Yes, it is the same model - but no castors. I bought it for £100 - see my earllier post.

Incidently, used it in rehearsal yesterday afternoon - bloody brilliant :)

[quote name='radansey' post='104524' date='Dec 14 2007, 09:47 PM']Looks and sounds great. I need to sort out the castors - not sure whether to screw directly into the bottom of the cab or make a 'skateboard' to wheel it around from A to B. Any suggestions/advice??[/quote]
Yes, get a folding sack truck instead. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160189342261"]Like this.[/url] It has the advantage of forward compatibility with whatever heavyweight you get in the future, and your amp won't run away when you play on a sloping stage...

Why would you put castors on a bass amp?? Surely the cabinet needs to be on the floor so the bass frequencies vibrate through said floor? That's what I think, anyway :)

And reading through this thread, I agree that the TNT115 is a great amp. Bullet proof for the money, just very heavy. Played through them a lot over the years at jam sessions, etc.

Thanks all. I have decided that I shall make a skateboard-style 'dolly' to transport the amp - I have managed to 'acquire' four big, lockable castors.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='105610' date='Dec 17 2007, 10:14 PM']Why would you put castors on a bass amp?? Surely the cabinet needs to be on the floor so the bass frequencies vibrate through said floor? That's what I think, anyway :)[/quote]
Quite right. During rehearsal on Sunday the bottom end was noticeably good - putting wheels in the way would isolate it from the floor and lose some of this. Plus, I had the advantage of being able to ocassionally sit on the amp during the practice (something that may be a bit precarious with castors on-board) - this had the added bonus of foldback through the @r$e :huh:

Will post some pics later-on (probably new year)