Why become a member? ×

Wanted: Headphone amp, and headphone amp only

Guest BassKS

Guest BassKS

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if there is such a contraption. In the same way that the DIY for Guitarists book has it. I have seen one called Ogre Bass amp but do not know anything about them. I need something that is very light and no effects like pandora, simple bass in mp3 player in and headphones.
Would appreciate your input.

Fatos

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='870572' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:31 AM']Should really have remembered this as I use one myself:

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ha-400/69204"]Behringer HA400[/url]

Bomb proof IME and cheap as chips!![/quote]

I'm always dubious about Behringer kit, but even they cant get this too wrong - can they??

[quote name='51m0n' post='870576' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:40 AM']I'm always dubious about Behringer kit, but even they cant get this too wrong - can they??[/quote]

That's [b]precisely[/b] the attitude I had when I ordered mine!! :)

I'm happy to say that, nearly a year later, I can report it has always performed perfectly.

I thought it was worth a punt at that price and I'm happy to say that it seems I was right. :rolleyes:

Guest BassKS

Thanks chaps,

SFX, Earwig, Vox Bass miniheeadphone amp, I have never tried these and was hoping for anyone to shed some light. the Behringer one though looks good.
I had a Bass pod XT live which I sold and, to be fair, its not the portable sort that you take if you travel abroad or are away with work and want to play in the hotel room. I just need something sturdy, decent and cheap. Probably difficult to meet all thre criteria.
Will look at the Behringer.

Thanks again

Fatos

[quote name='BassKS' post='870731' date='Jun 18 2010, 12:59 PM']Thanks chaps,

SFX, Earwig, Vox Bass miniheeadphone amp, I have never tried these and was hoping for anyone to shed some light. the Behringer one though looks good.
I had a Bass pod XT live which I sold and, to be fair, its not the portable sort that you take if you travel abroad or are away with work and want to play in the hotel room. I just need something sturdy, decent and cheap. Probably difficult to meet all thre criteria.
Will look at the Behringer.

Thanks again

Fatos[/quote]

I would certainly say that, from the experience I have had of it, the Behringer [i][b]does[/b][/i] indeed, meet each of your three requirements.

It's never given me any problem at all. :)

[quote name='philbillbass' post='873490' date='Jun 21 2010, 02:09 PM']would a small mini mixer not work the same way?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-8-Channel-Mixer-/280522563831?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item415072a0f7"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Eurorack-U...=item415072a0f7[/url][/quote]

I suspect it would indeed, but the HA400 can be had for just over twenty quid brand new!! :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='873468' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:48 PM']Quote from OP:

[b]"I need something that is very light and no effects like pandora"[/b]

:lol: :)[/quote]
OK, I'll rephrase.

Korg Pandora is worth a punt if you pick one up cheap [b]and switch the FX off[/b]. I use mine a lot.
:rolleyes: :lol:

Guest BassKS

Hey lads, I did have a pandora 4XB. Everytime I would use it with my IpoD it would hiss, was picking up the radiation from the display. I was using hmbuckers and a very good bass so it wasnt the lectrics. I did have fun with the old pandora but I just want a simple thing. SFX is a bit expensive to be honest. After all its only a headphone amp. Ive seen stuff in Altoids boxes for 40 dollars, and are hand made with decent components.

I think I will go with the OGRE Bass headphone amp. 25 quid....

That Behringer HA400 is more of a headphone distribution amp for powering 4 sets of headphones from one headphone output. The MA400 is a better choice, although you'll a DI to feed into the XLR input. It can mix an ipod or any line source in with your bass signal too. The Vox one is not bad for the money, but is cheap and plasticky and pretty hissy. I have both of these, but I would go for the [sfx] H1 if I was to start again.

EDIT: That Ogre looks pretty good to, never seen that one before:

[url="http://www.playawayguitars.com/play_away_guitars_shop.php?itemID=520"]http://www.playawayguitars.com/play_away_g....php?itemID=520[/url]

Maybe Dave would knock something up though, I'm sure it would be great quality and resonably priced too.

Edited by dannybuoy