Why become a member? ×

Tab Sites

slemm

Has anyone noticed that most tab sites are removing tabs. I know it's because of copy right law's, but isn't it a little petty as most tabs are one persons interpretation of a song, more often than not nothing like the original.

Yes, it's pathetic. What next, sueing people for singing in the shower?

In any case, probably one of the best places left is Ultimate Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/). They've lifted a Russian finger to the American aggressors. The place is littered with popups when you use it, but you can't have everything.

Yes it is isn't Waldo, but some people arn't always up to date.

It's widly known that in shop sales are flagging for cd's as online sales have taken up some of the market, but in what's an oligopoly of world wide music by a few large lables, with the RIAA as their puppet organisation, and a concern for sales, they're attacking the very core of the music industry -> The musicans's themselves.

Most new guitarists/bassists will use tabs at the very least as a learning guide and to help do covers, it's ironic that they're basically attacking resources for the next generation of musicians which'll be providing their profits.

+1 - I get really wound up by the lack of tabs these days, however it has done me a favour in the sense that it makes me use my ear and this has meant that my overall ear for a bassline has improved.

Record labels make me sick - rather than take a proactive approach they decide to simply attack the very musos who provide thier profits in the first place.

They close these tab sites as they deem it to be taking money away from the original performer - but I am yet to see a comprehensive "official" tab book for sale with the tabs I need.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='9249' date='May 30 2007, 03:04 PM']+1 - I get really wound up by the lack of tabs these days, however it has done me a favour in the sense that it makes me use my ear and this has meant that my overall ear for a bassline has improved.

Record labels make me sick - rather than take a proactive approach they decide to simply attack the very musos who provide thier profits in the first place.

They close these tab sites as they deem it to be taking money away from the original performer - but I am yet to see a comprehensive "official" tab book for sale with the tabs I need.[/quote]

That's a void I'm attempting to fill with the transcription books I publish through Bassline Publishing. Luke - if you or anyone else can suggest books you'd like to see, I'll look into doing them. The whole idea of my company is to publish books that would be considered too 'niche-market' for the big publishers, but which would still be of interest to bassists.

Incidentally, I am currently going through the possibilities of the Bernard Edwards book that was suggested, and will let you all know soon whether it's a goer or not.

Cheers
Stuart

The problem I've found with some tab books is that they contain mistakes, which is unacceptable quite frankly. If the music industry wants people to buy tab books rather than downloading them off a site, they better damn well make sure that they're correct!

[quote name='slemm' post='8601' date='May 29 2007, 02:08 PM']most tabs are one persons interpretation of a song, more often than not nothing like the original.[/quote]

Thats what I've found, which is why I've stopped using internet tab sites.

[quote name='Waldo' post='9811' date='May 31 2007, 12:12 PM']The problem I've found with some tab books is that they contain mistakes, which is unacceptable quite frankly. If the music industry wants people to buy tab books rather than downloading them off a site, they better damn well make sure that they're correct![/quote]

I tell you what, my books are always painstakingly accurate. I know, many tab books that are on sale are rubbish (some of the Jaco ones spring to mind), but I take pride in getting the transcriptions absolutely spot on.

Stu

Stuart - I have every faith in your books mate, the ones ive had before are spot on and I would not hesitate buying a transcriptions book from you.

Simon Merrick's Jamiroquai books are also bang on - not found a mistake there at all.

The fact is that its plain petty to kill off the tab sites - most of the time the tabs are a mere guide to the music, and are often incorrect. Either way, you end up using your ear for elements of a song, so its not all bad to not have the tab, but it can sometimes help with tricky parts.

The best bit is that the tabs in question on these sites arn't made by the record company, so therefore they havn't lost any money as they've not made them in the first place.

I can see where they can claim damages for items like bootleg cd's, as they've outlaid money to record the tracks, produce them in a cd format, and get them sold on, but tabs arn't actually costing them money.