Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic 50s Precision Bass

Lozz196

Fender Classic 50s Precision Bass, Made In Mexico, in Honey Blonde, gold anodised pickguard, maple neck. The pickup is the same one as Fender put in their US models - on another bass forum an e-mail from one of Fenders guys was displayed, showing this.

I bought this bass after GASSING for one for ages. Had decided to sell my Classic 70s Jazz bass to fund it, but, after having contacted many suppliers, who all seemed to be out of these, and not able to get any more from Fender for a while, decided to get it now, and still sell the Jazz later on.

Bought it unseen from GAK, and, like many other reviewers of this particular model, found it to be perfectly set up out of the box. I always change the strings to Rotosound Heavy Gauge, 50 - 100, and afterwards checked the intonation and it was still spot on.

The increased width of the neck wasn`t too difficult to get used to (I am a Precision Man, after all), indeed, after having it for just over a week now, it feels very comfortable. The vintage sized frets make sliding up and down the neck an easy task.

Soundwise, the best word I can use is smooth. It has a lovely sound, almost as if it has decided that as honey is its colour, the sound should be as smooth as honey. I used it at a band practice, and was very pleased with the results (usually use my US P-Bass with the band) - had a good presence in the mix.

I bought this bass purely for my (meagre) collection at home, and will still keep with my US P-Bass for live work. Overall, this 50s bass is just fantastic, and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

• 4 months later...

I've just looked at two of these in my local shop. I can't help thinking that the two colours on offer are hideous! Personal taste I know but still!

Lozz, I know you are a big P bass fan, have you seen, tried the Roger Waters Artist? It has a thick neck apparantly, but I like the look of it. I'd imagine these are not routinely stocked and should I be keen I'd probably have to buy one without trying it.

LC

• 3 weeks later...

Not seen the Roger Waters P in the flesh so to speak. Love black/black/maple P-Basses - I have one - but not too keen on the black hardware. The thick neck can`t be any bigger than the Classic 50s, and I certainly didn`t find this too big. If you can get on with the Classic, you should be fine with the Roger Waters.

Do agree, the black and gold is cool. Mine was the Honey-Blonde, which I`ve now sold, due to needing the funds. Was very upsetting, but a fellow Basschatter has her, and assured me he would look after her.

• 2 months later...

My Classic 50s weighed 9.4 lbs, and didn`t have any neck-dive issues. Interestingly, both of my Mex made Ps have weighed 9.4, whereas my US Ps weigh 8.8. I`d prefer my USs to weigh 9.4 as well, I just prefer the stability of the heavier body to neck.

[quote name='funkassassin' post='1107821' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:36 AM']are the mexican 50's neck heavy? i bought a cij p-bass and the body felt like it was made of polysytrene it was so light i had to sell it on.. was jus wandering wether they are the same weight as say a us standard p-bass[/quote]
I've been using one since I started playing and it's perfectly balanced. Mine is a 1989 MIJ. I've played a few and they have always been of a reasonable weight without being heavy

edit - I know mine isn't MIM but it's the same model and I'm very familar with the MIM ones :)

Edited by BurritoBass

I bought a classic 50s P on here a while ago, it is reasonably light but I have had no issues with neck dive at all. I have CIJ 50s reissue and thats virtualy the same weight.

I think the mex 50s are really good basses and Im well pleased with mine.

• 1 year later...

I just want to add that I'm in love with my 50s MIM P. I have the black/gold/maple version and the neck is to die for! I went back to playing my Jazz at the weekend, just to give the old girl a night out, and found it 'stiff' to play in comparison.
It's the best feeling and sounding P I've played. The vintage frets are a big plus.
I've just fitted a Hipshot D tuner to it so I don't have to swap basses mid-gig any longer.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Images

1/299

All user reviews for the Fender Classic '50s Precision Bass

BUY USED
PRICE ENGINE
CLASSIFIED ADS
FORUMS
label-ad-fr.svg

WRITE A USER REVIEW
FILTER
Keywords
OUR MEMBERS ALSO LIKED:
Average Score:

( 4.8/5 based on 12 reviews )
11 reviews

92 %
1 user review

8 %
Write a user review
Audience: AnyoneValue For Money : Excellent
USERS REVIEWS
                                 most recent                                 most useful                             

An excellent and accurate reissue of a groundbreaking instrument

Publié le 12/01/20 à 05:17

I had always liked the look of 50 s basses and acquired used over two years ago a mint 2008 Fender Mexico Classic 50s Precision Bass in Fiesta Red, ‘gold’ anodised pick guard and maple neck and a non-Fender ‘tweed’ hard case for a very good price. It’s previous owner had included bridge and pickup chrome covers.
Before lockdown I was using it regularly on gigs and playing it through a SansAmp bass driver into a GK MB-210 combo.
I have played several varieties of Fender .P-Basses and would like to share with you my experience of the 50s Classic MIM model. 
1. The bass looks stunning with its very distinctive livery, is just under 4kg weight.
2.The neck has serious heft- but so had P-Basses built in the 1950s. I like the playing feel and the guitar begs you to ‘dig in’ and play hard! There are no dead spots. The gloss finish on neck may not be to everyone’s taste but I like it. I quite like the ‘reverse’ style machine heads.
3. The FR paintwork feels thick but it’s durable and I am not prepared to interfere with it as it looks so good on the bass. Yes, it may strangle the bass’ sound a little but this is nothing that cannot be adjusted on the amplifier.....that’s what all those knobs and buttons are for! On a good amp you can easily dial in the sound you want. The signal source, this bass, is a very good one indeed.
4. The bass sounds like, well, a good Precision should with a distinct tendency towards bright . Deep, well- grained notes  drive a band. The volume and tone controls have a progressive ‘sweep’ and the bass is surprisingly versatile. The pickup, pots and capacitor are, I believe, the same ones that used to be fitted to the American Standard basses.  It shares its bridge (threaded saddles), 'reverse' tuners and knobs with the US 'Original /  AVRI models. This bass came to me used with the period-correct thumbrest and strap button at headstock rear fitted by its previous owner.
To conclude, this bass is of largely similar quality to US models. I cannot fault it on build quality, playing feel or sound and it also  succeeds in delivering a 50s vibe  at a very good price. As a modern rendition of a bass built in 1957/8 this formula works very well.
I believe the new Vintera 50s Precision which recently replaced the Classic 50s  is largely the same instrument with a couple of tiny tweaks and different colours.

• Like 1