Why become a member? ×

DIY 1x10 Cab

Dubs

I decided I'd like an easily portable 1x10 cab that I can practise with and take to small jam sessions instead of my 4x10 TecAmp cab. In my usual DIY way I did a minimal amount of research before parting with cash for parts and taking a trip to B&Q. I originally planned to make it using plywood but I've ended up with MDF - cheaper and more rigid in thinner measurements (cheaper being the dictating factor), however, slightly heavier. I used 12mm MDF so I'll have to brace it slightly in some places.

I drew some sketches and worked out some dimensions and measurements, then I got the wood cut:

It will be ported with an internal volume of about 1.3cu.ft giving a nice resonant frequency of about 59hz. It should be able to kick out enough volume to be heard clearly with a drummer. I'll carpet it and finish it off properly.

Should be finished by early next week pending the arrival of parts...

Edited by Dubs

is this a dubs design ?

I do quite fancy building one of Bills I saw someone had done a jack but put a front on so it looks more like a conventional box. One in white or tolex would look quite cool

I fitted my deltalite into my ashdown C110 last week and lined the cab. Only usedit in the house so far. Those emminence neos are really nicely built

[quote name='bumnote' post='868747' date='Jun 16 2010, 09:06 AM']is this a dubs design ?[/quote]

© Dubs 2010 :) - Not sure there's much 'intellectual' property in it though! That remains to be seen...

Yeah those drivers do look really good. Hopefully it'll be the difference between a really average sounding cab and a pretty good sounding cab. Can't wait to get this finished off and see if it's got the legs for a full band practise!!

Uzzell - there's not a lot of know-how involved when making a simple cab. A lot of it is a rudimentary understanding of what you're trying to achieve and then most of the hard work is done for you via the 'Thiele and Small Parameters' that are supplied with the drivers. There's a lot of info out there, just give it a go.

Pro cab builders look away now...

I think it's coming on pretty well. Should end up weighing about 12kg (26.5lbs). I've got most of my parts so hopefully I'll have it finished before I go to Glastonbury on Wednesday morning.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='872066' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:47 PM']Awesome. I wonder how the triangle shaped port will affect things! Copyright that! :)[/quote]

Thanks! I can't take credit for the triangle port though - I've seen it being used on other cabs, [url="http://www.drbasscabs.com/images/drb_1580_web.jpg"]cough cough[/url]...

The shape of the port doesn't (shouldn't) really matter, it's all about the area and depth. I had to make mine quite long to get the response I wanted. I won't know how it sounds until it's all finished though!

Almost finished:

The corners and handle aren't screwed down in these pics as I didn't have time to finish that off tonight so it'll have to wait till next week. I'm hoping to put an Ampeg vintage silver style grill on it, pending being able to find some cloth at a 'reasonable' price :)

Cheers guys :)

algmusic - Yeah I'm planning on putting an Ampeg vintage style grill on it, kind of like this:

...or maybe tweed, depends what I can find nice and cheep :rolleyes: Any recommendations?

In total so far it's probably cost me about £70, and £35 of that was the driver - a 2nd hand (very good condition, hardly used, if at all by the looks of it) Eminence Deltalite 2510. I've not actually had a chance to properly test the finished thing yet with it fully sealed due to there being a big hole where I've not sealed and screwed the handle in yet, but I have high expectations as it's sounding good without being airtight! Hope I'm not too disappointed...

That looks great. I'm thinking of building something similar myself over the summer having seen this thread.

Did you get B&Q to cut the MDF on their big panel saw? I recently sold my bandsaw and I'm not convinced I can cut straight lines with a jigsaw! :)

[quote name='TDM' post='875794' date='Jun 23 2010, 08:01 PM']That looks great. I'm thinking of building something similar myself over the summer having seen this thread.

Did you get B&Q to cut the MDF on their big panel saw? I recently sold my bandsaw and I'm not convinced I can cut straight lines with a jigsaw! :)[/quote]

A hardpoint wood saw is much easier to get straight than an electric jigsaw, just a little more effort :rolleyes:

Edited by Protium

[quote name='TDM' post='875794' date='Jun 23 2010, 08:01 PM']That looks great. I'm thinking of building something similar myself over the summer having seen this thread.

Did you get B&Q to cut the MDF on their big panel saw? I recently sold my bandsaw and I'm not convinced I can cut straight lines with a jigsaw! :)[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply - been drinking in the sun in a field in Somerset for the last 6 days...

Yeah I got them to cut the MDF at B&Q as I would never have got anything like a straight line myself :rolleyes:

They're usually really good in there and are very accurate. I've got stuff cut to awkward measurements in a few different stores and they've all been able to cut it to the nearest half mm. Very handy for someone like me who is generally completely cack-handed with a saw/jigsaw!

[quote name='Dubs' post='884670' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:11 AM']Finished it all off now. I'll post some pics later on...[/quote]

This is great, nice one. Can't wait for the pics. I have a fantasy about building my own 1 x 12 cabs. Very interesting! :)

PS: Where did you get the handle, corners, carpet, etc? Thanks!

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='885022' date='Jul 3 2010, 07:35 PM']That`s really impressive looking! Like the idea of a self build cab. How did you get the carpet covering to fit so well?
Might have a go at one meself......

Jez[/quote]

Cheers mate :)

I bought some good carpet and some good carpet spray-on glue, and then watched a lot (a lot!) of youtube videos on carpeting speaker boxes etc. Basically I didn't do a perfect job but I spent the time to get it as good as possible and didn't rush. The whole process was a learning curve and to some extent a bit of trial and error. I've made a couple of carpeted pedalboards that also probably helped. Just give it a go - the worst that will happen is that you have to buy some more carpet if you really f*** it up :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' post='884678' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:29 AM']This is great, nice one. Can't wait for the pics. I have a fantasy about building my own 1 x 12 cabs. Very interesting! :rolleyes:

PS: Where did you get the handle, corners, carpet, etc? Thanks![/quote]

Thanks very much :)

I got pretty much everything through eBay. Everything except the carpet spray, the black spray paint, the Eminence driver and the wood came from eBay.

I used it today at band practise and I could hear the driver reaching its peak when I was really pushing it. At this level it was loud enough to use with a full band (drums and 4x12 Marshall stack) but I wouldn't run it that hot for longer than a few seconds. To get over this I'm going to add a hinged tilt-back system so I can point it straight at my ears so I can hear clearly what I'm playing. I may actually end up using this for some originals gigs as all I really need the backline for is on-stage monitoring. We'll see...

I'd encourage anyone to have a go at building a cab though. I've found it to be a really enjoyable experience. I might end up doing another one eventually.

• 2 weeks later...