Why become a member? ×

33 scale basses

Faithless

So, I'm thinking of going 33' scale, cuz 34 seems just too big for me..

Not that I have tiny hands (it's more like vice versa..), the fingerboard is just too big me, and it feels uncomfortable after some time spent playing.. Also, I'm using E-C tuning on my bass, and C doesn't sound as good on 34 scale instrument..

The fact is, I don't know many brands, that make 33 scale basses..

One is Fodera, but it's quite expensive for me.. I've seen M.Garrisson model, but it was going for 4000 euros secondhand, way too much for me..

I'd be either after mid-range price (up to 1500euros) instrument or even budget instrument..

Anyway, please, tell me, who makes 33' basses, certain models are also welcome..

Cheers
Faith

Edited by Faithless

I've had three 33" basses, still got two of them, a Shuker 6 string and an ACG 5 string.
I can't recommend the slightly shorter scale enough!

As far as I'm aware, there's no non-custom 33" basses currently available, but as Rich stated, Shuker do them, as do ACG, obviously.
I'd guess that most luthiers will be willing do a 33", although some will charge for it.

I recommend you fire Alan ([b]Skelf[/b] on here) of ACG fame or Jon Shuker an email if you're interested in a custom 33" bass.

If you have any other questions, you know where I am :)

Eude

[quote name='sk8' post='867782' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:31 AM']you may be surprised[/quote]
Forget being surprised. You'll be placing an order before you've thought about it. :rolleyes:

I'll personally vouch for the brilliance of my 33" ACG Skelf... as will the seemingly endless hordes of Basschatters who had their hands on it before I bought it. :) I've barely picked up another bass since I got it a month ago (and when I do I put it down again and go straight back to the Skelf). In fact, my field of vision has looked pretty much like my avatar for the last month.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='867789' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:50 AM']Forget being surprised. You'll be placing an order before you've thought about it. :rolleyes:

I'll personally vouch for the brilliance of my 33" ACG Skelf... as will the seemingly endless hordes of Basschatters who had their hands on it before I bought it. :) I've barely picked up another bass since I got it a month ago (and when I do I put it down again and go straight back to the Skelf). In fact, my field of vision has looked pretty much like my avatar for the last month.[/quote]

Lucky bugger :lol:

Loving my 33" ACG too, it pretty much plays itself, which is lucky...

Eude

Birdsong do a 31" 5 string (presumably a 5 is what you're after with an E-C tuning) which works out at just a bit over £1500 with the current exchange rate, although it's a bit more if you have to pay in Euros. [url="http://www.birdsongguitars.com/instruments.htm"]Birdsong Guitars[/url]

As it happens I'm working on some alternative scale necks as we speak (!), I think allot of makers and players are just a bit too conservative when it comes to trying out different scale lengths and there are too many assumptions made about them (the 'sustain' issue is the big one). Unfortunately, mine are all based around a Fender neck pocket :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='867798' date='Jun 15 2010, 10:04 AM']Ah, you like Grolsch Blond too? :rolleyes:[/quote]

To be honest, I like all the beers...
Bar Draft Guinness, after a 3 day stag do in Cork, can't really face proper creamy stout anymore :)

Eude

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='867791' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:53 AM']And not forgetting our very own [url="http://www.prosebass.com/"]http://www.prosebass.com/[/url] - worth getting a quote for 33" I'd have thought.[/quote]

Dammit... beat me to it!!! :)

We have talked about 33' thingies with Eude (thanks, bro :) ), so, going custom may be possible for me..

Now, another questie..

If I'd put capo at the 1st fret on my current bass (34 scale), and tune to E again, how would that adjust scale lenght (it would probably become less like 33', right..) and sound issues..?

Just curious about that..

[quote name='Faithless' post='867851' date='Jun 15 2010, 11:09 AM']If I'd put capo at the 1st fret on my current bass (34 scale), and tune to E again, how would that adjust scale lenght (it would probably become less like 33', right..) and sound issues..?

Just curious about that..[/quote]
On 34" scale, the first fret is 1.9" from the nut, so you're actually creating a 32.1"-scale bass. Fret 2 is 3.7" from the nut, so capoing there gives you a 30.3"-scale bass. Quite a useful little experiment to see how you feel at medium and short scales, especially in terms of fret spacing, but it doesn't give the whole story of the feel of a purpose-built shorter neck, and the string feel (in terms of compliance/flexibility) will be quite different.

[quote name='Faithless' post='867851' date='Jun 15 2010, 11:09 AM']We have talked about 33' thingies with Eude (thanks, bro :) ), so, going custom may be possible for me..

Now, another questie..

If I'd put capo at the 1st fret on my current bass (34 scale), and tune to E again, how would that adjust scale lenght (it would probably become less like 33', right..) and sound issues..?

Just curious about that..[/quote]

That'll give you a 33" scale, near enough anyway, but all your markers and muscle memory will be in the wrong place :rolleyes:
It'll give you a feel for it though, but bear in mind though, your bass isn't built for that scale, so in custom 33" bass, stiffer woods can be chosen to make sure that the tension in the strings stays good.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='867855' date='Jun 15 2010, 11:16 AM']On 34" scale, the first fret is 1.9" from the nut, so you're actually creating a 32.1"-scale bass. Fret 2 is 3.7" from the nut, so capoing there gives you a 30.3"-scale bass. Quite a useful little experiment to see how you feel at medium and short scales, especially in terms of fret spacing, but it doesn't give the whole story of the feel of a purpose-built shorter neck, and the string feel (in terms of compliance/flexibility) will be quite different.[/quote]

Beat me to it bud :)

Rickenbacker's 'standard' scale length is 33.25" (4003 etc). I have Fenders and a Ric and the difference is very noticeable over long periods of '3-semitone' stretches. Although there are not a lot of fivers kicking around, a standard 4 string can be modded to 5 without any problems to the existing neck. Not sure if the string spacing would be to your liking though (pick or fingers?).

In fact here's one:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4003-s-5-STRING-JETGLO-BASS-GUITAR-W-CASE-/370390933595?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item563d05205b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4003-s-...=item563d05205b[/url]

Probably a bit pricey, but it is a 4003s model which is rare these days (not manufactured anymore). If a standard production model comes up as fiver it would be cheaper.

Edited by Starless

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='867786' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:46 AM']Fodera. :)[/quote]

Indeed! Although it's interesting to see that Richard Bona recently sold one of his Fodera signature basses that was 33" scale and is having another made with the exact same specs but in 34" scale...so it obviously makes a lot of difference to some people!