Why become a member? ×

Re-covering my cabinet

Grassie

Hi guys,

I'm planning on re-covering my Hartke 4x10 cabinet, as the carpet covering that is on there at the moment is looking a little worse for wear, and I'm also sick and tired of trying to remove dog hairs from it. The cabinet seems to have magnetic properties when it comes to my German Shepherd!
First of all, I need some tips on how to remove the existing covering as cleanly and as hassle free as possible. Secondly, I have managed to find a supplier of coloured Tolex, but would appreciate any advice / handy hints on how to apply the new covering.

Many thanks

Grant

You've probably guessed that getting the old stuff off is the tricky bit. I'd just use a scraper and some judicious heat as the adhesive will just clog up sandpaper.

I use white PVA adhesive to stick the vinyl on. Sticking it on the flat surfaces is easy and you can use a seam roller to remove air bubbles if you have to. Getting it to fold round the edges is much trickier; I use the adhesive on both surfaces and let it almost dry. then I heat the vinyl/tolex with a hot air stripper (take care) which makes it quite floppy and then I smooth it over whatever the problem bit is.
If the PVA dries on both surfaces it can be melted with an iron and your tolex becomes iron on but be careful as a hot as opposed to warm iron will melt your covering.

Where did you get the coloured tolex from? It is hard to track down.

[quote name='Grant' post='866030' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:20 PM']Hi guys,

I'm planning on re-covering my Hartke 4x10 cabinet, as the carpet covering that is on there at the moment is looking a little worse for wear, and I'm also sick and tired of trying to remove dog hairs from it. The cabinet seems to have magnetic properties when it comes to my German Shepherd!
First of all, I need some tips on how to remove the existing covering as cleanly and as hassle free as possible. Secondly, I have managed to find a supplier of coloured Tolex, but would appreciate any advice / handy hints on how to apply the new covering.

Many thanks

Grant[/quote]
The cabinet seems to have magnetic properties when it comes to my German Shepherd!

Get shot of the dog! :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='866089' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:03 PM']You've probably guessed that getting the old stuff off is the tricky bit. I'd just use a scraper and some judicious heat as the adhesive will just clog up sandpaper.

I use white PVA adhesive to stick the vinyl on. Sticking it on the flat surfaces is easy and you can use a seam roller to remove air bubbles if you have to. Getting it to fold round the edges is much trickier; I use the adhesive on both surfaces and let it almost dry. then I heat the vinyl/tolex with a hot air stripper (take care) which makes it quite floppy and then I smooth it over whatever the problem bit is.
If the PVA dries on both surfaces it can be melted with an iron and your tolex becomes iron on but be careful as a hot as opposed to warm iron will melt your covering.

Where did you get the coloured tolex from? It is hard to track down.[/quote]

Where did I get the coloured tolex from?
www.ampcomponents.co.uk - not a massive variety of colours to choose from, but something a little different than standard black... :)