Why become a member? ×

Playing a new bass.

No1skewenjack

I've just bought my first, what I would call expensive bass. A Fender 'P' Bass MIJ 1995. I used to have a 'Black' bass only cost £80 off the shelf and when I used to play about 10 years ago a Encore. So compared to my previous bass it is a major upgrade. I cant stop playing it. I finally know what people mean when they say a bass feels right.

Anyway Do most people get an extra amount of enthusiasm from obtaining a new bass? there again it might be becuase I've nearly nailed my first song this time around.

I could easily have kept any of the 70 odd basses I have owned in the past but I get a buzz from trying new basses that I've never had before. I've had some surprises with basses that should've been great but weren't and cheaper basses that were far better than I had expected.

And I totally agree about different basses that can make you play completely differently - the Epiphone EB-3 that I have just now is an example. Sits on a strap completely differently to most other basses I've owned so I approach playing it differently.

I was able to do some cracking riffs tonight that I'd either not been able to pull off on any other bass or something completely new that I hadn't thought about playing until tonight

I love the new bass feeling, I'm addicted to it, which is why I change my gear about so often.

I agree 100% with Delberthot, I've had some top end gear that really bored me to death, and some cheaper basses that have blown me away. It certainly doesn't have to cost the earth to be a great instrument. To illustrate the point, I used the Fleabass on a couple of songs at last nights gig, and everyone commented on how great it sounded.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='865649' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:30 AM']I've just bought my first, what I would call expensive bass. A Fender 'P' Bass MIJ 1995. I used to have a 'Black' bass only cost £80 off the shelf and when I used to play about 10 years ago a Encore. So compared to my previous bass it is a major upgrade. I cant stop playing it. I finally know what people mean when they say a bass feels right.

Anyway Do most people get an extra amount of enthusiasm from obtaining a new bass? there again it might be becuase I've nearly nailed my first song this time around.[/quote]

My 1st three maybe four purchases before it got silly were like that...So fresh and new you love the feel, the tone and jus wanna break it in, especially more expensive models.
Even more so when you buy one that just fits into your hands and you don't even realise its there.

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='865649' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:30 AM']Anyway Do most people get an extra amount of enthusiasm from obtaining a new bass?[/quote]
Yep, that's why there is so much trading on here.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='866504' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:43 PM']I love the initial 'new bass' feeling but it takes me a bit of playing before I properly fall in love with a bass. :)[/quote]
Yep. I also get a buzz [sic] out of doing something to a new [to me] bass - set-up, new pup, new strings, etc - makes it feel more [i]mine.[/i]

Know what you mean - got my new Fender Classic 50s P-Bass last week, and have been playing even more Bruce Foxton/Jam basslines than ever - if indeed that were possible.

Just something about the width of that neck, the smoothness of the pickup, and the fact that Bruce plays a `57 has kept me playing those lines with a silly grin on my face.

I just tried out the new Fender American standards last week and they feel 'right'. Nice fullness in the hand, the rolled edges of the neck urge you to hold on a little longer, its like the joy of being with a new lover who you just don't want to be apart from, you wanna try out new things, you wanna try old familiar things, you wanna do somehting totally wild and crazy.... *ahem* got a little carried a way there! Yeah so the new Am. Standard will be my next bass :)