Why become a member? ×

aguilar db750

fuzzylogic

hiya fellow bass chatters.

i have just bought an aguilar db750 and an epifani ul410 rated 4ohms ( coupled by a klotz speakon lead of around 2 feet ) .i gigged it last night but was surprised that i had to turn the gain up to half and the master to just over half to get the required volume for the band i am playing in.we sometimes play a fair bit louder than last night and i didn't expect to turn the amp master to over half considering its 750 watts @ 4ohms rating. the bass dial was set at 12, mids at between 2 and 3 and treble at 3. also when the bass, middle and treble are all turned fully anti clockwise there is no volume.is all what i have descibed normal or am i worrying too much.i would be grateful for any advice on the operating characteristics of this wonderful sounding amp to put my mind at ease there is no fault.

loving this amp :)

thanks

daz

Edited by fuzzylogic

wouldn't worry about it at all...you aren't going to outrun this amp unless the band is deaf..and therefore the punters will be deafened as well.

The gain might be a tad low but these are all teething issues but if you are only half-way on both and this is tone heaven then no problems as far as I can see.

You'll only need 2 cabs and a lot of master on BIG sound stages, IMO

[quote name='JTUK' post='865105' date='Jun 12 2010, 12:28 PM']wouldn't worry about it at all...you aren't going to outrun this amp unless the band is deaf..and therefore the punters will be deafened as well.

The gain might be a tad low but these are all teething issues but if you are only half-way on both and this is tone heaven then no problems as far as I can see.

You'll only need 2 cabs and a lot of master on BIG sound stages, IMO[/quote]

thanks. sound was absolutely fantastic.didn't think i would exceed the amps cabability, but thought at 750 watts into an epifani cab at rated at 1000 watts 4ohms i wouldn't need to even turn up to half.

[quote name='fuzzylogic' post='865241' date='Jun 12 2010, 02:52 PM']thanks. sound was absolutely fantastic.didn't think i would exceed the amps cabability, but thought at 750 watts into an epifani cab at rated at 1000 watts 4ohms i wouldn't need to even turn up to half.[/quote]
Most amps are like this these days, my 90's 200 watt Trace Elliot was really loud at under half volume, but there probably wasn't much gain left in it. My EA amps...iamp800 and iamp Micro don't start to work till they are over half volume. I was worried when I first got the iamp800 because of this characteristic. I use a Tecamp Puma 1000 into an Epi Ul410 and it runs about 10 o'clock with a loud big band. You will probably find 750 gets much louder at about 2 o'clock on the master.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='865286' date='Jun 12 2010, 03:45 PM']Most amps are like this these days, my 90's 200 watt Trace Elliot was really loud at under half volume, but there probably wasn't much gain left in it. My EA amps...iamp800 and iamp Micro don't start to work till they are over half volume. I was worried when I first got the iamp800 because of this characteristic. I use a Tecamp Puma 1000 into an Epi Ul410 and it runs about 10 o'clock with a loud big band. You will probably find 750 gets much louder at about 2 o'clock on the master.[/quote]
I had the same with my old AH300 MK6 - massive volume at first , and then probably nothing else more .

I've said something on here similar before about amps . I think it's a gimmick frankly . Go to buy it in the shop , and it's a "look how loud it is sir , and it's only on 2" . My telly and hifi volumes go up in a proper way , and this is how it should be .

I know that EA set their gain and volume like this , as does my Eden (how it sounds to me) , and probably , as described do Aguilar . Guitar amps are far worse for this nonsense - the guitarist I play with has a Cornford that he can't get much beyond 3 , making any volume adjustment very tricky due to the fact that simply brushing past the gain will turn it right down .
I have no idea why any manufacturer would design an amp like this .
Seems like the OP has nothing to worry about , just an amp working as it should .

[quote name='fuzzylogic' post='865241' date='Jun 12 2010, 02:52 PM']thanks. sound was absolutely fantastic.didn't think i would exceed the amps cabability, but thought at 750 watts into an epifani cab at rated at 1000 watts 4ohms i wouldn't need to even turn up to half.[/quote]
I have the same Epi 410 , and also a 610 , and was thinking about the DB750 with these cabs , but this pairing doesn't get much favour over on Talkbass .

Do you get enough of a 'chest kick' sound out of this pairing , or is it pillowy .

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='865286' date='Jun 12 2010, 03:45 PM']Most amps are like this these days, my 90's 200 watt Trace Elliot was really loud at under half volume, but there probably wasn't much gain left in it. My EA amps...iamp800 and iamp Micro don't start to work till they are over half volume. I was worried when I first got the iamp800 because of this characteristic. I use a Tecamp Puma 1000 into an Epi Ul410 and it runs about 10 o'clock with a loud big band. You will probably find 750 gets much louder at about 2 o'clock on the master.[/quote]

thanks, i thought this might be the case.did gig last night and noticed pretty much instant increase in volume without much further movement of dial.i do have a trace elliot gp12smx and your right, big volume, then it drops off after half.i take it when you say a loud big band, you mean a band that can make your ears ring when volume has gone a bit over the top.

[quote name='E sharp' post='865444' date='Jun 12 2010, 06:55 PM']I had the same with my old AH300 MK6 - massive volume at first , and then probably nothing else more .

I've said something on here similar before about amps . I think it's a gimmick frankly . Go to buy it in the shop , and it's a "look how loud it is sir , and it's only on 2" . My telly and hifi volumes go up in a proper way , and this is how it should be .

I know that EA set their gain and volume like this , as does my Eden (how it sounds to me) , and probably , as described do Aguilar . Guitar amps are far worse for this nonsense - the guitarist I play with has a Cornford that he can't get much beyond 3 , making any volume adjustment very tricky due to the fact that simply brushing past the gain will turn it right down .
I have no idea why any manufacturer would design an amp like this .
Seems like the OP has nothing to worry about , just an amp working as it should .[/quote]

interesting bit of info there. i will tell my brother who has a cornford. could it really be a sales gimmick.i'm new to this amp and there is no doubt it sounds great, maybe was expecting same characteristics in volume setting.

[quote name='E sharp' post='865447' date='Jun 12 2010, 07:07 PM']I have the same Epi 410 , and also a 610 , and was thinking about the DB750 with these cabs , but this pairing doesn't get much favour over on Talkbass .

Do you get enough of a 'chest kick' sound out of this pairing , or is it pillowy .[/quote]

i have gigged it twice now. so from my experience i can tell you that it definately shifts air even at just over half volume as i have described and i set the bass dial at 12. i was pleased with the tone across the range and found that i could feel the bass without it seeming loose. i don't like fluffy sounding bass myself, so i can only say it isn't pillowy ( i think some people also say wooly ) it linked nicely with the drummers kick drum that was amplified through a p.a. b.t.w. check lightweight cab discussion. it seems 6x10 are recommended

No..would not confuse pillowy and wooly myself regarding Epifani.

Wooly is fluffy and indistinct..whereas pillowy has the sound descend into a soft tone and is heard from a distance like that.
Altho most cabs would do this to some degree, Epi are reknown for it... and not always in a good way, depending on your POV.
I think it goes too far...but that is only my opinion.

[quote name='fuzzylogic' post='866591' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:11 PM']thanks, i thought this might be the case.did gig last night and noticed pretty much instant increase in volume without much further movement of dial.i do have a trace elliot gp12smx and your right, big volume, then it drops off after half.i take it when you say a loud big band, you mean a band that can make your ears ring when volume has gone a bit over the top.[/quote]
Well the car sounds nice and quiet on the way home from a gig, so threshold shift has occurred!!! :)

[quote name='fuzzylogic' post='865061' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:53 AM']hiya fellow bass chatters.

i have just bought an aguilar db750 and an epifani ul410 rated 4ohms ( coupled by a klotz speakon lead of around 2 feet ) .i gigged it last night but was surprised that i had to turn the gain up to half and the master to just over half to get the required volume for the band i am playing in.we sometimes play a fair bit louder than last night and i didn't expect to turn the amp master to over half considering its 750 watts @ 4ohms rating. the bass dial was set at 12, mids at between 2 and 3 and treble at 3. also when the bass, middle and treble are all turned fully anti clockwise there is no volume.is all what i have descibed normal or am i worrying too much.i would be grateful for any advice on the operating characteristics of this wonderful sounding amp to put my mind at ease there is no fault.

loving this amp :rolleyes:

thanks

daz[/quote]

Just to add my experience...

I put my DB750 through either an 8 ohm Aggie 4x10 or both the 4x10 and an 8 ohm Aggie 1x15 depending on venue. I play in a 6-piece band with a full sound from keys, guitar, drums and 2 vocalists to compete against.

With an active bass, even just using the 4x10 I set the gain at 10.30 (!!) and the master volume just past 9 o'clock and have no volume problems. I leave the amp's bass, mid and treble flat (i.e. 12 o'clock) and flick on the bass boost switch if I'm using the 4x10 on its own.

Maybe you're just in a VERY loud band!! :)

CB

[quote name='Toasted' post='866800' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:27 AM']The Aguilar EQ is passive - so yes it's right that you don't get sound when all the knobs are zero'd.

Where did you have the bass and treble boost switches set?[/quote]

for most of the gig the boost switchs were off ( to the left i think ). only used the treble boost occasionally.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='866902' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:03 PM']Well the car sounds nice and quiet on the way home from a gig, so threshold shift has occurred!!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

oh yeh. lol. yes, i've had that surreal quiet drive home.listened to some music and heard sounds in there i'd never heard before.best stop now, started to sound like a hippy :)

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='866976' date='Jun 14 2010, 01:01 PM']Just to add my experience...

I put my DB750 through either an 8 ohm Aggie 4x10 or both the 4x10 and an 8 ohm Aggie 1x15 depending on venue. I play in a 6-piece band with a full sound from keys, guitar, drums and 2 vocalists to compete against.

With an active bass, even just using the 4x10 I set the gain at 10.30 (!!) and the master volume just past 9 o'clock and have no volume problems. I leave the amp's bass, mid and treble flat (i.e. 12 o'clock) and flick on the bass boost switch if I'm using the 4x10 on its own.

Maybe you're just in a VERY loud band!! :)

CB[/quote]

what does the db750 sound like run through the aggie 4x10 cab ( is that a gs410 ). does the cab reproduce sound without colouring it too much. does it have a tight bottom end.

yes the band is very loud. the drummer is always wincing anyway.i think the guy who does the vocals and sets up the p.a. ( in other words frontman etc etc etc ) is a bit deaf ! infact being pissed doesn't help either lol.

[quote name='fuzzylogic' post='867101' date='Jun 14 2010, 03:23 PM']what does the db750 sound like run through the aggie 4x10 cab ( is that a gs410 ). does the cab reproduce sound without colouring it too much. does it have a tight bottom end.

yes the band is very loud. the drummer is always wincing anyway.i think the guy who does the vocals and sets up the p.a. ( in other words frontman etc etc etc ) is a bit deaf ! infact being pissed doesn't help either lol.[/quote]

Both my cabs are GS series. I've never considered the DB's sound coloured through these cabs at all. Just very clear, defined and yes - a tight bottom end!

Through the GS410 on its own I flick the bass boost switch and maybe crank the master a tad but I don't need to touch the EQ at all. Like most 4x10's the sound does seem more focussed and 'directional'.

• 2 weeks later...