Why become a member? ×

Anybody know of a particularly loud acoustic bass?

bumfrog

ow do

just a quickie. Starting to play a lot more acousticy stuff. Whilst I'm aware that an acoustic bass is never going to be particularly loud, I just wondered if anybody had come across any particular make/model that was noticably louder than others.

Reason being is I'm starting to play a lot of acoustic nights and I can't be arsed to lug down my bass and the little roland, so ideally would just like something I can whip out and play.

It's not too bad as I'm not playing against a guitar, it's actually a baritone uke and a madolin :)

ta in advance peeps.

None that will match a baritone uke and a mandolin sadly. As small as they may be, those high frequencies are just tough to get heard over - as an acoustic bass guitar simply doesn't have the body size to move the amount of air required to generate the volume you need. That's why an upright bass is the size it is. Apologies if that comes across as a smart a$$ answer. Believe me, I wish there was an answer that would work.

I bought a double bass and grew muscles for precisely this kind of scenario. And I still want more volume...

Acoustic bass guitars simply don't produce enough bass in my experience, they just sound like folk guitars tuned lower. Maybe a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarr%C3%B3n_mexicano"]guitarron[/url] might be worth a look! :)

I've got one of these for that reason:
[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/acoustic_basses.php#eabc"]http://www.deanguitars.com/acoustic_basses.php#eabc[/url]

I like the bridge shape!

It's fairly loud but like gareth hughes said it won't really be a match without an amp but it is serviceable for jamming [i]in an acoustic setting[/i] with others if you use a pick and dig in a bit.

Edited to add: [i]in an acoustic setting[/i]

Edited by HeavyJay

It's not been too bad acoustically as both the other players are quite quiet. I've definitely noticed a difference between the two acoustic basses we already have in the house, hence me asking if anybody knew of any particular model that was noted for being a bit louder.

I'll have to have a butchers at those dean basses - cheers heavy jay.

I'd love a guitarron though - would be awesome just to have people ask if I'm little or far away :rolleyes:

might have to get me a roadie to carry the roland then :)

I'll have to agree with everyone else. Acoustic bass guitars will always struggle next to a higher frequency
instrument. To get anywhere near the desirable volume,you really need an upright-a bass guitar body isn't
large enough to produce the volume at that frequency. The only one I've heard that was even half close to competing with an
acoustic guitar is the Taylor acoustic bass,and even then it was struggling.

[quote name='razze06' post='860992' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:58 PM']Ever thought of a resonator bass? There is one for sale in an edinburgh shop.
I played it some days ago, and it is quite loud, i suppose...[/quote]

I got one for something similar.
Not that much louder and very twangy.
great plugged in though :)

The one that does get mentioned as being louder than most is the [url="http://www.tacomaguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0381200721"]Tacoma Thunderchief[/url]. There was a cheaper version called an Olympia OB3CE - but that seems to not be available any more.

[quote name='razze06' post='860992' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:58 PM']Ever thought of a resonator bass? There is one for sale in an edinburgh shop.
I played it some days ago, and it is quite loud, i suppose...[/quote]

ooooooooooooooooo feeling gas coming on :)

[quote name='razze06' post='861029' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:31 PM']The shop is called scayles music, see [url="http://www.scayles.co.uk/resonator_guitars.html"]here for contact details[/url][/quote]

cheers, and I'll be up in edinburger soon as well...... arrghhhh bank account :)

I used to have a budget short scale acoustic that was louder than my Ibanez.
the downside was unneven tone and response when plugged in. It had a clanky acoustic sound that could cut through anything.
The best good tone/good volume acoustic bass that I've tried is an Eko:
www.nevadamusic.co.uk/.../sc1111.aspx
a natural finish version of the one on this page.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='860952' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:19 PM']It's not too bad as I'm not playing against a guitar[/quote]

In an ideal world, of course, one would play bass [b]with[/b] a guitar rather than [b]against[/b] it, but how often do things work out that way? :)

The old Ernie Ball Earthwood acoustic bass is a huge great monster of an instrument & is very loud.
I'd love to get my hands on one. The guy from The Violent Femmes uses one (his name escapes me for the moment but he's a great player).

[quote name='bumfrog' post='860952' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:19 PM']ow do

just a quickie. Starting to play a lot more acousticy stuff. Whilst I'm aware that an acoustic bass is never going to be particularly loud, I just wondered if anybody had come across any particular make/model that was noticably louder than others.

Reason being is I'm starting to play a lot of acoustic nights and I can't be arsed to lug down my bass and the little roland, so ideally would just like something I can whip out and play.

It's not too bad as I'm not playing against a guitar, it's actually a baritone uke and a madolin :)

ta in advance peeps.[/quote]
Regal Dobro Resonator Bass.....thats about as loud as it gets and it projects well....and could work well with the Mando & Uke.......
Im selling my Mando if yer player fancys a 55 Gibson A40 :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='861003' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:04 PM']I got one for something similar.
Not that much louder and very twangy.
great plugged in though :)[/quote]

Which one did you get OG - the Ozark I had when I had my shop was way louder than any of the others - extremely heavy though - wouldn't want to even try and play it standing up!