Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Combos

onehappybunny

In latest fit of GAS...oh, please nooooo!!.... thinking about going for a combo for the rehearsals and smallish gigs that we play

I have read about MB combos and would seem to be good bet (sound / weight / size etc.)

Just wondered:

1. is it possible to use the XLR input as line in for an ipod to practice along with (major selling point - I think I read this on Harmon Central). If not, do you know any other combos or heads that offer this (EA etc.)

2. whether 280W through the combo would be enough for gigs of up to c.100-150 people with drummer and two guitarists. (If not, then better off sticking with head / cab option)

3. is it possible to switch off or attenuate the tweeter

If it helps I like a fairly old school Motown / Stax sort of sound.

Thanks folks

Stu

I'm sure the XLR could be put to this use.
You cannot mess with the tweeter, but the VLE filter lets you get that sound anyway, so no issue there. Or get the Jeff Berlin sig combo, which doesn't have one, plus it's a 15", so is likely more the sound you're looking for anyway.
It's certainly loud enough!

Used my CMD121H for quite a while now. Wouldn't ever go anywhere else for my amps. And of course, they weigh next to nothing. The CMD121H is 40lbs, 6.5 of which is the amp head, and 4 of which is a 400W RMS speaker! Amazing!

I have a CMD 102P combo and would throughly recommend it.

Question1: Never tried this so can't comment

Question 2: I've never had the master volume past 2 at any gig indoor or out. It's very loud with plenty of punch. I'll never cart a stack around again.

Question 3:Even without using the VLE filter and with the controls all flat, ie midway there is plenty of low end with my Jazz bass. Dial in a bit of bottom say 1-2 o'clock and it's a real thumper. Judicious use of VLE (not too much) plus a Precision should get just the sound you describe.

I find that the filters are good especially slapping with a bit of VLF but more often than not just set the tone controls midway and adjust things on my bass with a combination of pickup blend, tone control hand position and fingers or pick technique.

Try one you'll love it

Not owning a combo but i do have a LMII so ill answer no.1 with a probably but you can also use the effects return as a line in. probably be easier as you wont have to mess with the input level on the amp or XLR adaptors.
The effects loop runs in parallel to the main signal so you can use it as an input.
Other than that i echo what's been said about how good the MB amps are. I have played big, 500+ rooms with my LMII and UL115 and not had to go over 4 on the master and no PA support. Never had to fill the room with low end but not had any trouble getting the sound out.

I have GAS for one of these as well, so a really useful thread. I tried the Jeff Berlin at a local shop at the weekend and was hugely impressed. The VLE filter was fantastic, and with a passive Jazz it was easy to dial up pretty much any sound - including the sound you describe in the first post. And I couldn't believe how light it was.

My only reservation is whether it really is loud enough for small to medium gigs, as I couldn't really crank it up in the shop. From the posts here, it seems there's no worries on that count, so it looks like I'll be dusting off the credit card!

I've got the 121P. I dallied for ages in the shop, trying to decide whether something so small and light could really be loud enough, and also whether I had the guts to stand in front of soemthing that comes up to my knees.

Well, I just can't get the volume past 1/3. I've tried it, and there's no distortion (as long as the input gain is set properly), but there's just no need at even a medium sized venue. For rehearsals, I have trouble getting it quiet enough!

I laugh at people now who hump around massive cabs - there's just no point anymore. If I ever need more grunt, I'll just another cab for it.

It is louder than my 300W Trace Combo and it sounds better.

And of course, I can lift it WITH ONE FINGER and carry all my gear at once.

Using a 121P, won't likely ever use anything else. Must admit, I DI into the PA, but only so we can keep stage volumes down for the benefit of overall FOH sound quality. The combo doesn't need the help, there is masses of volume to spare.

not a combo, bui i use a lmii and usually a sinle trv 102p cab, so essentially like the two by ten combo. loads of depth, punch and clarity. any sound available, and 300 into 8ohm igie a vey loud sound.

i was thinking about trying a 12 but not sure i will bother.

one thing is that you should be very happy with this gear.

I took the plunge and bought the Jeff Berlin model this morning (essentially the 1x15 combo without the tweeter). First impressions are very very good. And it sounds fantastic - very nice tight sound, especially for a 1x15.

Much loader than my 300 watt Ashdown, sounds better, but half the weight!

[quote name='simon1964' post='97216' date='Dec 1 2007, 01:44 PM']I took the plunge and bought the Jeff Berlin model this morning (essentially the 1x15 combo without the tweeter). First impressions are very very good. And it sounds fantastic - very nice tight sound, especially for a 1x15.

Much loader than my 300 watt Ashdown, sounds better, but half the weight![/quote]

Brilliant I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially in the lower back lumbar region.
We should all form a Markbass user group!

Being a bit strapped for cash at the moment, and tempted by a Markbass CMD 121P or H, I wondered if any of the shops involved in [url="http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/index.php"]the Arts Council's "take it away" scheme[/url] were stockists of Markbass - I did try hunting through the West and East Midlands shops but couldn't find one, but there's no list of Markbass dealers that I can find. Does anyone happen to know? Where did you all get your Markbasses from? And just how annoying is it that Guitar Center in the US is selling the CMD 121P for $850?

Not many places in the Midlands I'm afraid. Fairdeal Music in Birmingham had several combos in stock when I was there last week. I got mine from Music Scene in Mansfield, at a very good price, but their stock is small so it would be worth checking before making a trip. Otherwise, your best bet is probably Electro Music in Doncaster - a bit of a trek if you're in the Midlands, but they hold a decent stock, and are a very helpful bunch.

I used mine with my band at a rehearsal last night for the first time, and was hugely impressed. With a loud drummer (aren't they all!) and two guitarists, I never went above 10 o'clock on the master volume. And I got a great tone from my Stingray - something my Ashdown never really nailed.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='98648' date='Dec 4 2007, 11:28 AM']Not many places in the Midlands I'm afraid. Fairdeal Music in Birmingham had several combos in stock when I was there last week. I got mine from Music Scene in Mansfield, at a very good price, but their stock is small so it would be worth checking before making a trip. Otherwise, your best bet is probably Electro Music in Doncaster - a bit of a trek if you're in the Midlands, but they hold a decent stock, and are a very helpful bunch.

I used mine with my band at a rehearsal last night for the first time, and was hugely impressed. With a loud drummer (aren't they all!) and two guitarists, I never went above 10 o'clock on the master volume. And I got a great tone from my Stingray - something my Ashdown never really nailed.[/quote]

I got mine from Electro. I usually shop at Promenade Music in Morecambe. They will do a very good price if you're just buying, but if you want to try it otu first you'll probably want to go somewhere closer.

[quote name='simon1964' post='98648' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:28 AM']Not many places in the Midlands I'm afraid. Fairdeal Music in Birmingham had several combos in stock when I was there last week. I got mine from Music Scene in Mansfield, at a very good price, but their stock is small so it would be worth checking before making a trip. Otherwise, your best bet is probably Electro Music in Doncaster - a bit of a trek if you're in the Midlands, but they hold a decent stock, and are a very helpful bunch.[/quote]
Turns out that Flightcase Warehouse (a few miles from me) are now running an amps and effects business too, and are stocking Markbass, so I shall see if there's one to try out when I take the hardcaseless Tsai up there to check for size with one of their £40 hard cases (probably £35 over the counter if my experience with rack cases and keyboard bags from them is anything to go by).

Their price is £620 (inc VAT and delivery so I could probably get a few bob off for collecting it myself) - I see somewhere in Bedford has them at £609 but that's a lot more travelling, how does £620 seem in relation to other places?

• 1 month later...

Just had a serious bout of post Christmas GAS and got a CMD 12 P - absolutely fantastic!! Slight noise from the fan but only noticeable when practicing at home. Very load in studio for rehearsal against lead guitarist's Mesa Boogie and rhythm's line 6. Very happy with it so far and sooooo light for an old man with a back problem!!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bassace' post='146760' date='Feb 25 2008, 05:24 PM']Has anyone tried a small Markbass combo with Double Bass?[/quote]
not tried one, but heard a guy on the same bill as me in the Isle of White.
he had a decent carved german bass around 100 yrs old, good tone, and a realist pick-up it sounded absolutely awesome, very warm and woody, loads of balls, very good representation up to a high volume.
I find most DB rigs are great up to a certain volume then they mostly turn to sh*t.
Jake

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='146146' date='Feb 24 2008, 07:37 PM']Well, eventually took the plunge and got a the Jeff Berlin 151p combo ;)

First impressions are very, very good. Lightweight (obviously), loud, with a wonderful 'proper' rounded, deep but well defined bass sound.

Really, really pleased. One very happy bunny indeed :) :huh: ;)[/quote]

Glad to see you went for it!

I'm still really pleased with my Jeff Berlin. I know exactly what you mean about the deep but defined tone. I've added a 2x10 traveller extension cab, bought from Nottswarwick on here. The two combined give a fantastic sound.