Why become a member? ×

Wizard Jazz pups

Mr Fudge

I modded my Jap Jazz about 18 months back with 84's and love em. I now want to mod my old US 97 Jazz and I am considering some Hammers?

I like a bit of dark growl, but will it be too dark? I play rock, pop, indie, phychodelic country, middle of the road gumph covers band. everything really.

I'm leaning on getting some Hammers at the moment just for a bit of variety.

It all goes through my MarkBass SA450 and 2x12 Bergs.

Any thoughts appreciated as always.

Cheers Mr F.

Edited by Mr Fudge

I phoned him and asked him when modding by P-bass. He was really helpful. Personally I'd argue that a Jazz bass has a bit of a growl anyway and try his 64's but that's probably based on my own tastes and just reading the few lines you've typed. Give him a call, I'm sure he'll steer you in the right direction. When I get a Jazz eventually I'll no doubt use Wizard.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='857043' date='Jun 4 2010, 11:50 AM']I modded my Jap Jazz about 18 months back with 84's and love em. I now want to mod my old US 97 Jazz and I am considering some Hammers?

I like a bit of dark growl, but will it be too dark? I play rock, pop, indie, phychodelic country, middle of the road gumph covers band. everything really.

I'm leaning on getting some Hammers at the moment just for a bit of variety.

It all goes through my MarkBass SA450 and 2x12 Bergs.

Any thoughts appreciated as always.

Cheers Mr F.[/quote]

I have 64's and 84's in my jazzers, the scatterwounds, I prefer the sound of the 64's the 84's are too deep for me. But the 84's get used, both are amazing pickups. I think the 64's and an Audere preamp are an amazing combination

Some valuable thoughts. Might go 84's again. I get a lot of oomphff from my Jap Jazz with them. This Jazz also has a chunky gotoh bridge and maple board which I think adds to the oomphff.

I thought Hammers because my US jazz I want to mod is through strung (which I don't want to mess with) and rosewood board, which I always feel a bit deader sounding. I want to mod it essentially so I can play both basses on a regular basis.

[quote name='Toddy' post='858124' date='Jun 5 2010, 01:19 PM']Dude,,,, long shot,, but Ive a 97 USA Jazz with active EMG fitted,,,, if you wanna try it out see what you think and your in the area etc...offers there.. :)[/quote]

Very kind offer and many thanks. Never really in the area though.

I've tried active with John East stuff and Sadowsky in a Marcus sig. I just couldn't get on with them. For good or bad I've always rolled all the pots up and dug in with my fingers.

The wizards have been fantastic and just really suit my playing.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='858246' date='Jun 5 2010, 03:24 PM']I've never understood what "Dark sounding" actually means :)[/quote]

Ive never been sure but i think i understand it. I've always assumed its voiced a bit lower. Could be wrong though.

Timely thread as im after some Wizards for my new CV Jazz. The 84's sound like they might be more what im looking for other than i dont want too much dark and not really dirty.

Ive emailed Andy to explain (or try to) what im after but i expect ill go with the 64's, hopefully next week.

Wel i have some wizards (hammers) in my mex jazz and did some samples so you can here them, they are very rough samples as i just plugged my bass into my laptop and recorded them but its better than nothing! In my opinion they are plenty bright enough for the rock band i'm in! I have some labella flats on it just so you know.
[attachment=51883:fender_labella.wma]
[attachment=51884:fender__...a_random.wma]

Edited by philbillbass

[quote name='philbillbass' post='864308' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:29 PM']Wel i have some wizards in my mex jazz and did some samples so you can here them, they are very rough samples as i just plugged my bass into my laptop and recorded them but its better than nothing! In my opinion they are plenty bright enough for the rock band i'm in! I have some labella flats on it just so you know.
[attachment=51883:fender_labella.wma]
[attachment=51884:fender__...a_random.wma][/quote]

Cheers for posting those. what model do you have?