Why become a member? ×

fleas bass in 1984-1988

pimpmyjam@hotmail.com

I think the benefit of doubt needs to be given until proven otherwise. Besides which we have at least one other member who is dyslexic that I know of and we should be tolerant. If you don't like reading the posts its possible to use the forums ignore function. Feel free to PM me if you need some help on how to find it.

Can we get this thread back on topic please? :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='93994' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:17 PM']I think the benefit of doubt needs to be given until proven otherwise. Besides which we have at least one other member who is dyslexic that I know of and we should be tolerant. If you don't like reading the posts its possible to use the forums ignore function. Feel free to PM me if you need some help on how to find it.

Can we get this thread back on topic please? :)[/quote]

wot eva u elderly man :huh:

My old boss is very dyslexic and from what she used to say text speak is nearly impossible for her to understand as what you get are a jumble of letters that don't make sense in the first place. I smell BS and it's not from me living in Gloucestershire either!

Could it be that this constant use of 'txtspk' is having an effect on our youth, in that they they become accustomed to using 'jst' instead of 'just' that they no longer know [u]how[/u] it is spelt longhand?

Frightening :)

Edited by bassman2790

The point I was making before (maybe not very well) is that the recognition of Dyslexia as a genuine condition is comparatively recent. Before that Dyslexics were labelled as lazy or stupid at an early age and struggled to overcome a very genuine handicap

I don't believe for one minute that this guy is Dyslexic. It's just a convenient excuse for laziness or ignorance and if I was genuinely Dyslexic I would be really angry about someone devaluing the condition like that.

Edited by PaulMartin

lol

For a moment there I did take you seriously. :)

I'm no language expert but I'd imagine that textspeak requires a fairly high level of skill in order to translate one form into the other on the fly. In any case, if the guy bugs you then use the ignore function. He'll have to learn to use a spell checker if he wants to be taken seriously.

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:)

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='94130' date='Nov 25 2007, 02:34 PM']aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:)

c[/quote]

That was surprisingly easy to read!

Nice avatar, elderly man.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='94164' date='Nov 25 2007, 04:31 PM']flea never used stingray's on his recordings unless its a five stringer track. BSSM was a spector as far as I know.[/quote]

Ive heard that flea used a wal on the blood sugar sex magic album, Ive also heard he doesnt like the sound of a stingray used for recording but likes the sound of them live?

From Wikipedia....

Flea's main basses have almost always been ones with active electronics. His signature live bass up until Californication was the Music Man StingRay, which he also used to record the albums The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Freaky Styley. In the studios for The Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk Flea used a Spector bass. Blood Sugar Sex Magik was recorded with a Wal Mach II, Stingray 5 string and One Hot Minute with an Alembic Epic. From Californication onwards, he received a signature model from Modulus Guitars, which is based on the StingRay. For Stadium Arcadium, he used a '61 Fender Jazz bass. The Jazz Bass was initially used during the subsequent Stadium Arcadium tour, but Flea later decided that he wasn't cutting through enough, and went back to using his Modulus Signature. Flea can be heard using several different effects pedals throughout his career; current pedals listed below.

This was pretty much my understanding also before reading this after various threads on the subject on talkbass.

Steve

[quote name='paul, the' post='94084' date='Nov 25 2007, 12:03 PM']I wish someone would call me an elderly man.

I think I spoke in 'txt speak' right up until about fifteen because of Messenger. A good Literature teacher will straighten anyone out.[/quote]

I got that "Your old" look from some teenager the other day.

[quote name='birdy' post='94169' date='Nov 25 2007, 04:41 PM']From Wikipedia....

Flea's main basses have almost always been ones with active electronics. His signature live bass up until Californication was the Music Man StingRay, which he also used to record the albums The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Freaky Styley. In the studios for The Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk Flea used a Spector bass. Blood Sugar Sex Magik was recorded with a Wal Mach II, Stingray 5 string and One Hot Minute with an Alembic Epic. From Californication onwards, he received a signature model from Modulus Guitars, which is based on the StingRay. For Stadium Arcadium, he used a '61 Fender Jazz bass. The Jazz Bass was initially used during the subsequent Stadium Arcadium tour, but Flea later decided that he wasn't cutting through enough, and went back to using his Modulus Signature. Flea can be heard using several different effects pedals throughout his career; current pedals listed below.

This was pretty much my understanding also before reading this after various threads on the subject on talkbass.

Steve[/quote]

This is more or less correct. I believe the bass he used on RHCP and Freaky Styley was, in fact, a Musicman Cutlass (basically a Stingray with a Modulus Graphite neck - this is the bass the Flea Bass was based on). Other than that, yep, it's all pretty much right, apart from the fact that Stadium Arcadium is roughly half-and-half the '61 Jazz and the Modulus. The '61 J was strung with flats and sounds very different to the Modulus Flea - you can seriously hear the difference between the two basses on the album tracks.

[quote name='metaltime' post='93999' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:30 PM']Im dyslexic. Not severely (is that right) but it does make things more difficult.[/quote]
If you use Firefox, you can load an English dictionary that will spell-check as you type into a text box (like on a web forum, for example...). Handy for me as I'm dystypic. Note: for some reason, Mozilla think that Americans speak English while the English speak English (British), which, even as a not-very-nationalistic Anglo-Irish cross, I find rather thoughtless of them. Don't know if there's a similar facility in IE (spit), I avoid using it.