Why become a member? ×

I threw up in the middle of tonight's gig...

wateroftyne

Hi all

I've been feeling a bit flaky all day, and things got progressively worse through the first set.

As we got to the end of one particular tune, it all got a bit much. I finished about four bars early, put my bass down, stepped off the stage, and...heeeuuuurrrgghhhh!!!

All over the floor and wall.

I did the second set with a bucket at my feet. *high five!*

I don't know why I'm sharing this... probably because it's 4.30am and I feel like crap.

If, by any chance, the staff of the Magnesia Bank read this, thank you for clearing up the mess. :)

Well done for carrying on regardless. God, how did you manage to hold on for so long? I played a gig with a raging bout of 'flu once, real 'flu not this silly man-flu cold nonsense. Got through by the power of adrenalin, walked off stage and passed out almost immediately, spent the next 4 days in bed.
Why do we do these daft things, ploughing ahead with a gig whilst suffering from something that we wouldn't dream of going to our day-job with? Is it just artistic integrity? Fear of breaking a contract? Bulldog spirit? Insanity? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='93623' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:26 AM']Hi all

I've been feeling a bit flaky all day, and things got progressively worse through the first set.

As we got to the end of one particular tune, it all got a bit much. I finished about four bars early, put my bass down, stepped off the stage, and...heeeuuuurrrgghhhh!!!

I don't know why I'm sharing this... probably because it's 4.30am and I feel like crap.

If, by any chance, the staff of the Magnesia Bank read this, thank you for clearing up the mess. :)[/quote]

I blame those "long throw" cabs your using.

[quote name='Rich' post='93657' date='Nov 24 2007, 09:36 AM']Why do we do these daft things, ploughing ahead with a gig whilst suffering from something that we wouldn't dream of going to our day-job with? Is it just artistic integrity? Fear of breaking a contract? Bulldog spirit? Insanity? :)[/quote]

All of the above , I think. 'Show must go on' gene.

Hope WoT's not actually drinking water from the tyne. You need water though , matey , if you're throwing up. Dehydrates you. Hope you're better today.

The worst I had was pieces of glass embedded in my foot, not sure how it works, but the pieces were bigger than the entrance holes!? This was friday night, sat in the emergancy room for 4 hours, so 2am comes along and the doctor says they have to operate on it the next evening...sorry no can do, I got a gig. The doctor understood, he was a fellow bassist!

Couldn't give me pain killers though because I wouldn't stay in the hospital over nignt so had to hobble around and do the gig sitting down. The worst part was when the most attractive girl in there stood on my foot!! Needless to say, I was like "thats ok, it doesn't hurt that much!" Then wait until monday for the op...the show must go on.

I don't think I've ever been physically sick on a gig though, well not without the aid of alcohol! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='93623' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:26 AM']Hi all

If, by any chance, the staff of the Magnesia Bank read this, thank you for clearing up the mess. :)[/quote]

You should have launched into a Sex Pistols number, barfe over the audience and pretend it was part of the tribute :huh:

Hamster

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='93623' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:26 AM']As we got to the end of one particular tune, it all got a bit much. I finished about four bars early, put my bass down, stepped off the stage, and...heeeuuuurrrgghhhh!!![/quote]

That's 'Mustang Sally' for you !!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='93716' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:47 AM']I'm feeling very sorry for myself this morning. :-([/quote]

You poor ol' b*st*rd! Hope you feel better soon ;-)

Remember though, drink lots of water, tea, juice...

Just keep the fluid going in all day... you'll need it!

You're a true pro!

We did a gig in Edinburgh last week and 3 songs from the end of our 2 hour set my right index finger seized up in an excruciatingly tight "L" shape and a little dent appeared in my inner forearm. I thought "bloody hell that's weird" and plugged away using my middle finger instead until it freed itself up again. Then a couple of minutes later the exact same thing happened to my left index finger. I was like "eh?" then my right hand one joined in again and I thought to myself "f***ing hell I'm having a brain embolism right on the stage!" but even though I thought there was a slight possibility of death (I'm not a hypochondriac - I just watch too much CSI :)) I soldiered on and got through the set (it's really hard to play without your left index finger) and happily it's not happened since.

I think probably what had happened was that I'd just over done it that day. I'm known for my overly energetic performances and combined with the long drive down from Aberdeen, practically setting up the stage all by myself (removing all the furniture and cast iron tables, getting all the amps, cabs and monitors up) all because the lead guitar threw his rattle out of the pram coz the stage was too small (it was a joke of a stage) and not acoustically suitable for him so he just sat down and widdled about with his guitar ("warm up" he calls it but it usually gets him out of doing anything helpful) the drummer did his own stuff (fair enough) the singer was delayed at funeral (although he seems to think that as his instrument is his voice that he doesn't have any gear to set up anyway - Hello! PA!) and rhythm was pre-occupied with girlfriend and a bit inexperienced with setting up any way. To add insult to injury I had to pack the van away myself too (although the guys mucked in once they saw it was almost done ie. the singer took [b]a snare bag [/b]from said drummers hand and passed it into the van to me) and I almost passed out at one point when speaking to a satisfied punter.

Rock 'n' roll eh?

If I seem a bit bitter perhaps this'll put it into context - I'm the same age as both our guitarist's combined! :huh:

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='wateroftyne' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:26 AM' post='93623']
Hi all

If, by any chance, the staff of the Magnesia Bank read this thank you for clearing up the mess.

MB1. :)
Unless your Dr Who this is an impossibility "i threw up in the middle of tonights gig?"
anyway....Speaking of doctors!....Get Well Soon! :huh:

Yeah fella,its been going around ..round the north,I had to sit all through the last set of last weeks gig,coz any sudden movements and...well...I'd only packed one pair of pants for that evening and soundly sh*t myself earlier that day....so I was prepared as mother had told me many many years before.

I feel asleep in the WMCs loos for half hour.

AN aquaintence once recounted how he hurled all over the drum riser in the Astoria without missing a beat,but the drummer couldnt use his floor toms for 2 - songs whilst roadies cleared the offence up....

Ive passed out onstage and had to be carried off through exaustion,but that was in my college days (quite nice being woken up by the scantily clad go go dancers in underwear,taking care of me...) at the VERY shows end.

Come on WoT... you know as well as I do that throwing up is part of a normal night out in North Shields :)

Sympathies mate! There is a bug doing the rounds at the moment as I've had a kid chunder in a lesson this week and I felt ill all day Friday (and the trots today). In all seriousness watch for the wee un!

Edited by warwickhunt