Why become a member? ×

Poll: Which Fender Jazz would you buy & why?

OutToPlayJazz

Just aquired a second hand USA vintage 75 reissue Jazz and am totally blown away by how it really sounds and feels awesome. When playing with a band it cuts through brilliantly, has IMO the perfect jazz bass sound and is so simple. I've owned a handful of Jazz basses and most have failed to deliver but this is exactly what I'm after so it'll be my main bass from now on.
The only other J I've kept hold of is my Japanese Marcus Miller which is not only a really great value back up to the 75 but also a lot of fun and has some really unique sounds. Generally used in passive mode but I really couldnt bear to let this go as a whole line of very expensive basses have come and gone over the last 4 yrs and none have outshone the MM which always puts a smile on my face. I also think the finish in the MM is spot on.
My two penneth! :)

It's a bit obvious that since I own a US '75 reissue that my vote would go there.

The quality is superb and the looks are what finally sold mine. Natural ash body with the rarer rosewood board and those beautiful block inlays.

The range of sounds is enough for the music I play although I'm usually very partial to active basses for the more focussed type sound.

The downside is the price. They are way overpriced when compared to other Fender models.

Perhaps the best all-round value for money is the 2008 onwards models?

Frank.

[quote name='molan' post='850930' date='May 29 2010, 09:38 AM']Although I think there are so many nice Fender Jazzes out there my vote goes into the 'super' category I'm afraid.

Alleva Coppolo who somehow manage to out-vintage an old Fender (and with 5 strings if that's your thing) but with far greater flexibility of tonal options[/quote]

Who'd have thought it - my comments on the Alleva Coppolo magic obviously put some positive vibes out into the ether & when the post arrived this morning there was a note to say my latest aquisition was awaiting payment of custos cuties and would be delivered on Wednesday.

With a bit of quick thinking I managed to get across to the postal storage depot and pay the duties in person & bring it home with me right there and then :)

It's actually a P bass body with J pickups in it and it's just so nice to play. In passive mode & tone rolled off it has a great vintage tone and the neck, with vintage tint, and rosewood board are just lovely to play.

Anyway - it's technically a P bass so I'll stop going off topic and post some more notes elsehwere :rolleyes:

I would seriously urge anyone thinking of a high end J to try out an AC though, very, very nice basses that, IMHO, do live up to the hype (in fact I like them so much I've already ordered another. . .)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='851013' date='May 29 2010, 12:02 PM']Ill take your 50th Rich.. :rolleyes:
Other than that i would go for a Custom Shop to my spec....

Leaving Fender behind (which i would for this) i would go for a Pensa Jazz...I would have one of these over a AC, Celinder...i nearl bought this once but it fell through for various reasons

Awsome awsome basses....[/quote]

That's interesting BB5 - where did you get to try out a Suhr?

I've only ever seen them for sale in the States but, like pretty much everything these days, I guess some have made their way over here.

They seem to 'only' sell for about $1,500 on the used market so not that expensive at all :)

I am amazed the vintage pre-CBS option is scoring so low; but then I guess they're not easily available for peops to try. I've only ever played one - a Lake Placid Blue 62 and it was truly out of this world. I would've loved to own it.

Having said all that, I recently bought a Sandberg California JM4 Deluxe; whihc is actually a better Fender Jazz than any Fender Jazz I've ever owned or tried, apart possibly from that Pre CBS.

it depends, are we paying? if we're not paying, so if money wasn't a problem, i'd go for the pre CBS, just because i've always thought it'd be cool to have one, and besides, its always going to go up in value.

if we had to take money into consideration, which i assumed we were when i voted, i'd go for the japanese standard, but since that isn't on the poll i'd go for the american standard. the fact the pre CBS is vintage and interesting isn't enough for me to pay the extra two grand i'm afraid.

American Standard. When I was looking for a Jazz in 2006 I tried the Mexican standard, the Japanese '66 reissue and the S1. The Mex jazz didn't inspire me at all, the Japanese jazz was very nice and I would have bought it if I hadn't tried the MIA. I also have an Aerodyne which is very nice but it doesn't fit me the way my American Standard does.

However, i do have GAS for a Sadowsky Metro RV4.

Second hand prices of a Sei jazz ( for example ) on this forum has been around £1000-1400 in the last 6 months, I think...that is a staggering amount of bass for that money and makes some prices for some jazzes look absolutely mid-numbingly crazy, IMV.

I sold a 70's jazz well before the market put its price at around £1450 and I have to say that that figure is insane for that pile of crap.
You might have to weigh the individual bass on merit or what the market will bear, but you really really really have to laugh.

A friend on mine has a 60's P bass which is also dog poo, IMO.. but he is going to keep it for the moment..but nothing will make that a good bass.
Passable, average and wholey useable, but not a great example of a good bass by any stretch, IMHO.

OK, just voted for the Squier as I've just got the VM fretless and it would have felt dishonourable to have voted any other way (as I'm really enjoying it and it is such amazing value for money), but, loyalty aside, I think a Japanese re-issue would have to be the one.

Very interesting so far...

It would seem that the nirvana for many in Jazz-bass-land would be the American Vintage series, which I would agree with in a lot of ways. A nice new Stack-knob 62 or natural 75 RI is a lovely thing to behold. Many of you still subscribe to the Super Jazz theory & quite rightly so, as there are so many great top end basses out there. And a lot of people seem to love the quality and value for money factors with the Japanese basses as well. Nice to see that the American Standard has got a good solid following - Proves they definitely got it right this time.

Surprisingly, not many have gone for the Road Worn (I voted for it, having had one). I wonder if it's the concept of the relicing that puts people off, because we all know they're seriously good instruments. I'm also very intrigued by the lack of votes for the 2010 Am.Dlx model. Did they get it so wrong this time, or is it the price tag that puts people off?

So it would seem so far that classic cool and value for money wins the day. Keep 'em coming :)

Hmmmm.......I've just bought a 2002, Indonesian built, Squier Jazz Bass standard from a fellow basschatter for £95. I gigged it last night........and I hate to say it but.........it sounds great :)

The neck (after a tweak) is excellent. I haven't checked the pickups but I assume they're standard. The electrics are a bit supect (but nothing a squirt of cleaner can't sort).

And here I am, the guy with a beautiful Geddy Lee Jazz, the guy who was lusting after a US built Jazzer or a road worn for £700/800 more than this cost me. Wondering how a bass, made out of plywood and tin, can sound so good.

It just excentuates the fact that just because a bass costs £1000 more than the one you have isn't going to, necessarily, make it sound any better.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='852065' date='May 30 2010, 08:02 PM']Not sure on the Highway One. They were very popular a couple of years ago, but you don't hear much of them now. I know WaynePunkDude has one up for sale at the moment...[/quote]

Indeed I do in part to fund a MIJ 75RI.

I'm more than happy with all of my MIM Jazzs. As I am a tinkerer and replace bridges, pickups etc., I don't see the point in paying more for parts I'm likely to replace anyway. As long as the neck is comfortable and it has a good neck/body pocket, it's a winner. Maybe I've just been lucky with my MIMs.