Why become a member? ×

Poll: Which Fender Jazz would you buy & why?

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='852104' date='May 30 2010, 08:37 PM']I'm more than happy with all of my MIM Jazzs. As I am a tinkerer and replace bridges, pickups etc., I don't see the point in paying more for parts I'm likely to replace anyway. As long as the neck is comfortable and it has a good neck/body pocket, it's a winner. Maybe I've just been lucky with my MIMs.[/quote]

I hear that I have 12 basses always gig with my modded MIM Jazz.

[quote name='Johnston' post='851718' date='May 30 2010, 10:32 AM']Noticed no one has voted for the highway one. Any particular reason why??[/quote]

something always "missing" with those basses. construction,feel,sound,look;
one or two or even three of above mentioned are always a prob.

Edited by dr1

I bought an American vintage 75 Ri jazz,and changed the bridge for a badass ll,and strung with DR MM fat beams.The sound is unbelievable.Didn't want to change the original tone and just bought an Aguilar tone hammer (still testing it so finger crossed).Amazing combination!
Few weeks ago tried a new american deluxe jazz 2010 and its playability and sound very nice I want one!I wish i had the chance to try the 50th anniversary too.I guess that 50th ann would be the point in my life when I lose my mind

Edited by Hoffbass

I've got an unlined fretless MIJ 1989 Jazz which is a great bit of kit. I rescued it from a grubby student's flat last year for 150 quid. I tend not to like Jazz sound (but I love how they look), but this is an exception.

Edited by Jerry_B

If I was going for an active jazz bass and had no budget restrictions, it would have to be a 'super jazz' like a Sadowsky or the like, because I have never been that impressed with Fender's attempts at active preamps.

Saying that, for a passive bass again with no budget restrictions, I would go for the US standard, though probably a Precision rather than a jazz. Much as I love jazz basses, for the type of music I like I need a bit of a low end thud that I can't get from a passive jazz.

Other than that my choices would depend on budget. I ended up buying the Affinity Squier Jazz a couple of years ago for a back up bass and I must say I am very pleased with how it plays and sounds.

[quote name='MythSte' post='850777' date='May 28 2010, 11:22 PM']Hmm - Good poll Rich!

I own the Classic Mexican series and love it to pieces. Its my bass and I really can't see myself letting it go (which for me is a big step!).[/quote]

Likewise, but I'd go for an American Standard Jazz or a Vintage if I had the money.

I've got an american standard which I only see as a good quality tool but, if money's no object, I'd like something with a bit of history...early 70's, lightweight & resonant with rosewood, blocks and binding.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1276327357' post='864909']

And mine....... :)
[/quote]

BigJohn and Stacker, where did you find your Japan white Bass ?
I have a crush on these Japan JBs :)
As the 2013 Limited JB66 vintage white (pearl blocks) they are really cool. Twins

I voted American Standard as after months of deliberation that's what I'm in the market for at the moment - feels like I've tried a lot of the Fender range in the last couple of months!

Where are people buying these Jap re-issues? I've not seen any in the shops but people keep talking about how good they are...

Edited by Lw.

CIJ Geddy Lee sig for me please! I stupidly sold one and have been trying to find another bass as good for a while now...

I think J basses are very personal. They may all look (and too a certain degree sound) the same, but they feel so different. Or they do to me, anyway.

I've played loads and owned quite a few now - but the only one that didn't have an issue of some description was the Jap GL. B)