Why become a member? ×

Any proggers out there?

Progman

Looking to hear from any fellow prog-rockers out there, who are into the wierd and wonderful world of 70's progressive rock. If you're one of the lost souls, have a look here: www.theprognosis.co.uk

We are keen to find gig anywhere in the UK - just let us know!

I've listened to all or part of Fragile by Yes nearly every day for the past 5 years. Siberian Khatru and South Side of the Sky are in my all time top 10 along with I know what Like and Carpet crawlers by Genesis

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='yorick' post='851523' date='May 29 2010, 11:29 PM']Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack :), In The Court Of The Crimson King, 2112, Script for A Jester's Tear, Fugazi[/quote]

I have all of them (on vinyl of course!). I was a BIG fan of the Nice back in the day.

Saw Pendragon in Newcastle last night. Terrible venue, mediocre sound - but the band were brilliant! definitely well worth seeing if you get the chance!!

Peter Gee is a very tasteful, talented and under-rated bass player.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Golchen' post='851625' date='May 30 2010, 09:15 AM']I have all of them (on vinyl of course!). I was a BIG fan of the Nice back in the day.[/quote]

Me too! Don't have any of the vinyl anymore (sob) - used to have it all! Must replace it it with CDs at some point...did some practicse/noodling to Brandenburger just yesterday!

I was very much a prog man (well - boy actually!) back in the early - mid 70's. Yes, Genesis and Gentle Giant were probably my favourites at the time.

I used to go and see anyone who might play locally and discovered all sorts of little gems like Greenslade & Fruupp, drifted into Gong and Steve Hillage for a while, struggled with King Crimson & Mahavishnu type bands who were just too 'technical' for me & never really got ELP who I just found too pompous & just a little dull.

I've never really listened to enough modern prog to have an opinion - need to try a bit harder I think!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='851834' date='May 30 2010, 02:43 PM']Myself and a few mates have had a couple of prog rock evenings. Bring your favourite albums, favourite beer, sit down and listen and tell some good yarns. Bliss. Fantastic.[/quote]

That sure sounds like great way to spend an evening! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='851655' date='May 30 2010, 09:57 AM']Saw Pendragon in Newcastle last night. Terrible venue, mediocre sound - but the band were brilliant! definitely well worth seeing if you get the chance!!

Peter Gee is a very tasteful, talented and under-rated bass player.[/quote]

Yeah I'd agree with that its interesting to note though, he ended up playing bass by default.
Have followed the band for years.

Edited by bozzie

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='851834' date='May 30 2010, 02:43 PM']... someone dug out some genuine 70s [b]NMEs[/b] for us to pour over. Fantastic.[/quote]

Surely [b]SOUNDS[/b] was the paper of choice for the discerning progger???? As it happens I have a pile of then in the loft from late 70s/early 80s (~The wife keeps threatening to ditch them)

Pendragon - great band!

As it happens, they have written one of my favourite ever instrumentals - EXCALIBUR - Which I am trying to learn right now (as in bass, guitar and keyboard parts - the drumming is WELL beyond me but I shall thump along never the less ...)

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='Golchen' post='856430' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:11 PM']Surely [b]SOUNDS[/b] was the paper of choice for the discerning progger???? As it happens I have a pile of then in the loft from late 70s/early 80s (~The wife keeps threatening to ditch them)

Pendragon - great band!

As it happens, they have written one of my favourite ever instrumentals - EXCALIBUR - Which I am trying to learn right now (as in bass, guitar and keyboard parts - the drumming is WELL beyond me but I shall thump along never the less ...)[/quote]

excalibur - thats a blast from the past but still a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Progman' post='850381' date='May 28 2010, 03:25 PM']Looking to hear from any fellow prog-rockers out there, who are into the wierd and wonderful world of 70's progressive rock. If you're one of the lost souls, have a look here: www.theprognosis.co.uk

We are keen to find gig anywhere in the UK - just let us know![/quote]
Oh yes, well actually into prog right through to the current day really. There's still a lot about.

Had my first gig with Epsilon, the prog side project I joined at the start of the year, in Horsham last Friday, which was fun. Funnily enough your band was mentioned to me by a mate at the gig as another band in a similar style it would be worth us trying to hook up with for joint gigs - though as syncing diaries for r/h let alone gigs means they are a bit few & far between at the mo :)

Been a massive Rush fan for 30+ years.

Spocks Beard have really done it for me in recent years.

[url="http://thebusbybabes.webs.com/apps/photos/"]http://thebusbybabes.webs.com/apps/photos/[/url]

Some fanboy pictures of me and other band members with the beard. Im the one in the Neil Young tee shirt. :)

Edited by Mr Fudge

I am in the Scottish Prog rock band [b]Abel Ganz[/b], the band have been going for about 30 years (I'm not the original bass player) we are currently working on a new album and our next live gig is at [url="http://www.balticprogfest.com/"]The Baltic Prog Fest[/url] in Lithuania.

Some of the guys did an acoustic set supporting Pendragon at their recent Glasgow show, sadly prog gigs are hard to find in the UK.
[url="http://www.abelganz.com/"]http://www.abelganz.com/[/url]