Why become a member? ×

Wireless In-Ear-Monitoring

DrVet

Hi all,

I am looking for a Wireless In-Ear-Monitoring system to gig with. Often I had encountered the problem of not being able to move and hear myself all over the stage since not all the floor monitors had bass from the mix, and it was very frustrating for me since I could literally jump of the stage and play with my Wireless guitar system.

What are the very best options am I looking at, besides the SHURE PSM-200 - SCL2?
Any suggestions?

tnx,
F.

Edited by DrVet

i use the Senhieser iem300 (i believe its called that anyways??) with ACS T2 moulded ears..

i absolutely love them!!! altho,its hard not to get dependant on them...

i just bought 2 sets of the T-BONE iem100 systems from Thomann for my brother (guitar) and our Singer..and they too are amazing..and i believe there is a half price kinda deal on at the mo, they rrp at 300euro ish but i got them both for 300euro..
great systems..

Forgive my ignorance but I am really interested in looking at an IEM system and just checked out the T-Bone system at Thomann.

How does that integrate with an existing PA and desk?

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='850286' date='May 28 2010, 01:17 PM']i use the Senhieser iem300 (i believe its called that anyways??) with ACS T2 moulded ears..

i absolutely love them!!! altho,its hard not to get dependant on them...

i just bought 2 sets of the T-BONE iem100 systems from Thomann for my brother (guitar) and our Singer..and they too are amazing..and i believe there is a half price kinda deal on at the mo, they rrp at 300euro ish but i got them both for 300euro..
great systems..[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='850699' date='May 28 2010, 09:38 PM']Forgive my ignorance but I am really interested in looking at an IEM system and just checked out the T-Bone system at Thomann.

How does that integrate with an existing PA and desk?[/quote]

You have to use a dedicated AUX output, so it would help if you have one spare on your desk at the moment. Aside from that, it should be pretty simple - just route whatever mix of channels you want to your desired AUX, plug in the wireless transmitter to that output and it'll send the signal to your receiver so you can hear it in your earphones.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='acidbass' post='854162' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:29 PM']You have to use a dedicated AUX output, so it would help if you have one spare on your desk at the moment. Aside from that, it should be pretty simple - just route whatever mix of channels you want to your desired AUX, plug in the wireless transmitter to that output and it'll send the signal to your receiver so you can hear it in your earphones.[/quote]

Can anyone tell me, is it possible to run more than one reciver from a single transmitter, as both my drummer and i wish to go down this route. we will both use the same mix and thought that this might be a good money saving idea... :)

[quote name='jumper' post='870183' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:15 PM']Can anyone tell me, is it possible to run more than one reciver from a single transmitter, as both my drummer and i wish to go down this route. we will both use the same mix and thought that this might be a good money saving idea... :)[/quote]

AFAIK, yes you can on all of them.

I know for definite you can on the Shure PSM200, so all you have to buy is an extra receiver!

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='870190' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:20 PM']AFAIK, yes you can on all of them.

I know for definite you can on the Shure PSM200, so all you have to buy is an extra receiver![/quote]

Many thanks you have just saved us much red faces and shuffeling of feet (not to mention cash), as we both go and order the very same thing and the local music shop. :)

just wondering if i'm the only person to try them and not like them?? i felt i just lost all the atmosphere, even if everything is going through them! and if something is missing, you lose your cue!

plus i move around that much on stage, plus the headbanging, they never stay in, no matter how well moulded or how much tape i use!

personal opinion is its fine if its a big budget thing where you stay pretty still, otherwise, dont bother!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='870306' date='Jun 17 2010, 10:30 PM']just wondering if i'm the only person to try them and not like them?? i felt i just lost all the atmosphere, even if everything is going through them! and if something is missing, you lose your cue!

plus i move around that much on stage, plus the headbanging, they never stay in, no matter how well moulded or how much tape i use!

personal opinion is its fine if its a big budget thing where you stay pretty still, otherwise, dont bother![/quote]
That's why I tend to use one plug in / one out so as not to feel too isolated.

There is at least one system around where the receiver has an input for a lavelier mic that you can mix in for some ambience.

As for plugs coming out & losing the bass in the phones as a result I have been through various things with the Shure plugs I use. The most recent & successful is to change the tips for etymotic (christmas tree) plugs that seem to stay put well.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='870190' date='Jun 17 2010, 08:20 PM']AFAIK, yes you can on all of them.

I know for definite you can on the Shure PSM200, so all you have to buy is an extra receiver![/quote]

how many recivers can one Shure PSM200 transmiter-unit, handle at once?
can it work properly with more than 2?

Edited by DrVet

You can have as many receivers as you want as they are only receiving a signal.... so they only have to cope with one frequency (as opposed transmitting several 'mixes')

I've been using IEM for a number of years now and it's my preferred monitoring solution..... yes it is obviously different to stage monitors but a dedicated ambient mic off stage will help with this. Don't expect to get used to using them straight away... give it say a months trial....

As for the ear pieces falling out.... you do have to get decent moulds custom made to avoid this generally

+1 for IEM. My setup isn't wireless (yet!) but it's really made a difference to how much I enjoy playing at gigs. A good way to get used to playing with IEMs is to practice through them at home to get used to the general feeling.

Can you give any rough idea of total costs for a good system including wireless receiver and moulded ear plugs?

[quote name='crez5150' post='875270' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:14 PM']You can have as many receivers as you want as they are only receiving a signal.... so they only have to cope with one frequency (as opposed transmitting several 'mixes')

I've been using IEM for a number of years now and it's my preferred monitoring solution..... yes it is obviously different to stage monitors but a dedicated ambient mic off stage will help with this. Don't expect to get used to using them straight away... give it say a months trial....

As for the ear pieces falling out.... you do have to get decent moulds custom made to avoid this generally[/quote]

Looking into buying an IEM system sometime soon too - is it worth going for a cheaper wireless transmitter/bodypack (that Thomann one for example) and forking out for a good pair of earphones, either custom moulds or Shure SCLs?