Why become a member? ×

Speaker Replacement ideas?

seymourfluid

HI, I need some advice please.

I’ve got one of those small Ashdown perfect 10 minirigs and I want to replace the speakers.

I’m thinking of replacing them with a pair of 250-300 watt 10” jobbies but I don’t know what to buy. I may use a superfly through the cabs as a small but powerful 500watt rig. It’ll scare the sh*t out of the rest of the band if I don’t tell them before hand. :-)

I was looking for Celestion orange label BN10-300S for the "clarity and punch" until I realised they are trade only.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Seymour

Sorry, my fault. I have a propper rig, I've got a full Ashdown rig, 500watt head, 4x10, 1x15 and line6 bod xt pro. The idea is the band I play in, John Otway big band, are going to go out and play small venues. This means keeping gear sizes down for both the stage sizes and transport costs. I have a trace elliot that I could use but the ashdown has visual impact for smaller gigs but not quite enough head room. The speakers cant handle the bass end of the 60 watt amp as it stands and so an upgrade would help, but if I upgrade to larger power speakers, i have the option to use 60 watt small rig, 500watt small rig with not much throw or a full rig for most of the larger gigs. Just would give me some flexibility.

I think.............Anyway, thats the plan. :-)

Seymour

[quote name='Stewart' post='92558' date='Nov 22 2007, 09:36 AM']Unless the cabs are sealed (not ported), I'd agree with bass_ferret 100% - don't waste your time and money.[/quote]
They're not sealed, or ported. There's a hole in the back that you use as a carrying handle.

I've got one of these rigs too, and I don't think they're suitable cabinets for putting 250w drivers into, without going anywhere near WinISD.You'd be better off to get bassthing68 to build a couple of Omni 10.5s, or look at the smaller Epiphani/EBS/EA/GK/Insert your favourite boutique cab of choice here.