Why become a member? ×

Problem with my new UL212. Need advice

dave_bass5

Glad to see that you've got everything kinda sorted out at last.

Someone has probably already said this, (it's a bit of a long thread to read through all of the replies), but you can't beat buying from this country.

The service from the Gallery, who I believe are the only UK distributor of Epifani, has always been superb, at least in my experience. I doubt that you would have had the sort of problems that you've encountered if you'd have bought from them.

I just bought an Epi UL310 from them, I had to wait a few weeks for delivery, but it's a superb cab, and I got an excellent deal from them pricewise.

[quote name='kjb' post='22021' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:39 PM']Glad to see that you've got everything kinda sorted out at last.

Someone has probably already said this, (it's a bit of a long thread to read through all of the replies), but you can't beat buying from this country.

The service from the Gallery, who I believe are the only UK distributor of Epifani, has always been superb, at least in my experience. I doubt that you would have had the sort of problems that you've encountered if you'd have bought from them.

I just bought an Epi UL310 from them, I had to wait a few weeks for delivery, but it's a superb cab, and I got an excellent deal from them pricewise.[/quote]

Thanks for the support.
Im planing on soldering tomorrow and then all should be up and running.

Yes it has been pointed out but i dont think it 100% true.
For a start, i got mine in under a week, you waited a few weeks. If your driver goes down then The Gallery would still have to get a replacement from Overseas if they dont keep stock and i have had contact with another 212 owner who had a very similar problem and the Gallery had to order a new driver for him (i cant of course confirm this) and so that then goes thruogh two companies. I dealt direct with the Distributors in Italy as well as W&T. This went on longer than it should because of a cock up over sending the wrong driver. These things happen but i also got the wrong leads from Epifani. If they can get that wrong then all sorts can happen now matter where you buy from. and this is without talking about the poor quality of the cab, something else i fixed.
If i had been a bit more assertive in the first place i think i would have sorted this out quicker but i have had time on my side, still got a week before i need it.

The Gallery quoted £750 for a UL310 or a 212NYC, W&T was £740 inc delivery. Not a great saving but W&T had them in stock and i needed it by a certain date.
While i agree shopping local can be easier, if spares are not on site or the gear has to be ordered then it can be just as much a pain in the ass IMO.

Im not knocking The Galley at all by the way. I have had dealings with them and Alex has been great to deal with. They are my first port of call for gear but if its not in stock ill go elswhere if i have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys
Just what i hope is a final update.
Just got back from the gig. I cant believe how loud my rig was. I have played this a few times with the SA450, last time was with my 1210 and thats a loud cab but this seemed to be even louder. Im not 100% on the tone but compared to the last time i used this cab with the other drivers tonight it felt faster if that makes sense. We were playing on a wooden stage but my tone was good out front and again, like my 1210 seemed to be very middy on stage but nice and full 20ft away. I had the master on 2 and even then it was a bit too loud. I think im going to have to play with the EQ more before in tottly happy but i think the cab is now working ok. We have our Holiday camp gigs next weekend and i have a feeling these will be the biggest gigs this band does this year so that will be a good test. Still very paranoid though. Every little crackle or pop (no snap) or rattle on stage and im fretting.
I have a feeling i wont be lacking volume any more. I would also say the SA450 sounds nicer and louder with this cab than my GK head.

I also want to tell you this is the first gig i have ever done where my bass cut out. I couldn't believe it. What happened was the lead in the back of my receiver had pulled a mettle ring out of the jack socket. At the time i hadn't noticed it was still on the lead and i found i couldn't put the lead in to my bass. spent a while trying to get it in. Had to get the singer to go and get a spare guitar lead for me (we had a guest singer on stage at the time). That worked ok going from the bass to the amp but when i plugged the receiver back in it kept cutting out. Luckily it was near the end of the night. I didnt realise what had happened until after we had finished. The lead i had used was one of those that have a special jack plug that has springs to stop it from coming out of the socket and i guess this had caused the mettle ring to be pulled out of the receiver.
so now im going to have to super glue that part back on to my receiver and hope it doesn't happen again.

Guess its not been my year for gear.

Anyway, thanks for all the support over the last month.

[quote name='machinehead' post='25658' date='Jul 1 2007, 05:26 PM']Glad to hear it's all ended well Dave.

BTW, if it's metle you're joining then araldite is an excellent adhesive. Superglue is best for a porous surface or semi-porous. If I've misunderstood what you're glueing, just ignore this.

Frank[/quote]

Thansk guys
Franks, its a mettle ring that i guess has to be clipped in to the jack socket. I have a feeling i pulled it because of the lead i was using but if i stick it in it will be to plastic.