Why become a member? ×

Broken Eden Metro

Jim

Hi

I have an eden metro combo which appears to have developed a fault. The channel lights turn off and the amp cuts out. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes I get the fault, regardless of how long it's been on.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? Could it be the valve going altough it doesn't sound funny when it's working.

Any assistance gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Jim

[quote name='Jim' post='92142' date='Nov 21 2007, 02:03 PM']Hi

I have an eden metro combo which appears to have developed a fault. The channel lights turn off and the amp cuts out. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes I get the fault, regardless of how long it's been on.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? Could it be the valve going altough it doesn't sound funny when it's working.

Any assistance gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Jim[/quote]

Certainly doesn't sond at all like a failing valve fault. I'm sure even with the best will in the world the Basschat community are going to solve this problem over the net, you really need to get this in to a repair shop. There is a sticky in repairs and technical of some recommended repairers.

[quote name='Jim' post='92746' date='Nov 22 2007, 01:56 PM']Thanks, I'll check out the list.

I was just wondering if any other metro users had come across this probelm.

Cheers

Jim[/quote]

I've moved this to DHA's forum, he might be able to assist too?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='92775' date='Nov 22 2007, 02:39 PM']I've moved this to DHA's forum, he might be able to assist too?[/quote]

I agree with Warwickhunt on this one.

Needs to go into the shop for repair as it sounds like a dry joint somewhere in the amp, could be anywhere but my guess would be to look around the power supply first.

This needs to be fixed by someone that understands valve amps as poking around in there might be the last thing you do.

Dave

I had an Eden Metro which cut out once or twice but this seemed to get resolved when I took out the fuse and reinserted it. Maybe the fuse contacts can be a bit iffy?
I had an attenuator go on an Eden cabinet once and took it to the Bass Centre wher it was fixed by their very helpful repair man called Chris. Not handy for you but you could extract the amp from the combo to reduce the bulk for shipping. If it needs technical expertise he seems to know his stuff.
Hope you get it going - its so frustrating when these things go wrong.

• 12 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting a long-dormant thread, but I'd like to call on da Basschat massif, innit.

Last night, my Eden Metro started cutting out during a gig. The sound went completely, and though it came back intermittently, I ended up using DI into the PA. I'm now pondering the options, as the combo is now over 20 years old and it hasn't had the easiest of lives. Should I

a) Get it checked by a technician and hopefully fixed, but knowing that something else could conk out next time, or

b) Get it fully refurbished, which would likely be far more expensive than option a), or

c) Remove the amp, fit jack and Speakon sockets to the back, thereby transforming it into a 210 cab and buy a new head?

I'm inclining towards c) at the moment, so I'd be most grateful for any advice on which option would give the most reliable rig.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Apart from a Tech21 VT500, Ive yet to play through anything I like the tones of more than my Metro plus ext cab at 4 ohms.

Aye, I know exactly what you mean. I was raging and almost crying in equal measure when it conked out. The combination of Metro plus 118 extension cab gave me a sound I really love, and I'm hoping - hoping - that the WTP600 will be a near-enough direct replacement. It's only single channel, but being able to turn the valves off should give similar flexibility to the Metro's twin channels.

The Bass Gallery have a Metro for sale that looks like it's had a much easier life than my old workhorse and I was very tempted to snap it up, but it's still a few years old. They're wanting £650 for it, which seems quite reasonable, but for £350 more I can have a spanking new amp with warranty, and I can still use the Metro as a 210 cab.

• Like 1