Why become a member? ×

Mute Switches etc

nottswarwick

I use an active DI from Orchid Electronics in Exeter. Very clean active DI box, with a mute footswitch, red light, tuner send, amp output - plugged into a Boss floor pedal tuner. Very easy to use, runs on battery or phantom power and it gives me a choice of DI from pedal or amp.

BB

If you want to DI your bass through a proper PA, use a BSS AR-133. Best sounding DI box I've ever used. Seriously!

As for muting, you could probably just buy one of those little alu boxes and get the switch from an A/B box, simply wiring the second side of the switch to nothing. Exactly the same effect as a mute switch...

This may be a stupid question but would this work....?

The Korg DTR-1000 rack tuner has a mute button on the front panel. If this was in the effects loop of the Little Mark:

i) would you be able to use the tuner?
ii) would pressing the mute button mute the sound to your amp for silent tuning?

Thanks,

Jim.

Edited by jimbartlett

[quote name='tauzero' post='94965' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:48 AM']Incidentally, the PW one looks as if it has that dreadful spring arrangement on the sleeve which I avoid like the plague as it makes such a noisy and unreliable connection.[/quote]
Dreadful? :huh::):huh: Not in my experience, in fact just the opposite.

Whilst I have experienced a noisy and unreliable connection on one of my basses, this was due to using a cable with standard plugs and was caused by the socket.
Using a Planet Waves cable in the same socket actually cured the issue. The bass that sufferered from this problem was a '71 musicmaster that had the socket replaced with a cheapie one before I got it. The socket's contact was very thin and had lost its springiness and the jack seemed loose in when plugged in with a normal cable. Replacing the socket with a switchcraft cured the problem.

I always use planet waves cables as do the guitarists I play with. None of us has ever had any problems with them.

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='95952' date='Nov 29 2007, 08:13 AM']This may be a stupid question but would this work....?

The Korg DTR-1000 rack tuner has a mute button on the front panel. If this was in the effects loop of the Little Mark:

i) would you be able to use the tuner?
ii) would pressing the mute button mute the sound to your amp for silent tuning?

Thanks,

Jim.[/quote]

The effect loop on the mark bass amps is wired in parallel so no it wouldn't kill the sound.

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='95979' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:15 AM']The effect loop on the mark bass amps is wired in parallel so no it wouldn't kill the sound.[/quote]

Ah.......thanks! :)

Thinking about it a bit more....you could go from your Bass into the Input of the Korg, then from the Korg Output into the Little Mark Input. This way the mute button on the Korg will work and hey presto, silent tuning! :huh:

Edited by jimbartlett

(Planet Waves springy jack plugs)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='95965' date='Nov 29 2007, 08:50 AM']Dreadful? :huh::):huh: Not in my experience, in fact just the opposite.

Whilst I have experienced a noisy and unreliable connection on one of my basses, this was due to using a cable with standard plugs and was caused by the socket.[/quote]

The guitar I was using it on was a brand new Variax - for some reason, a Planet Waves stereo lead was supplied (it runs power up from the splitter box as well as taking the signal). Crackled dreadfully. Used a stereo lead with standard plugs, problem solved. After that, I won't touch the things.