Why become a member? ×

Re-Sale Value

No1skewenjack

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='840748' date='May 18 2010, 12:32 PM']Im about to buy my first semi expensive bass. Im currently using a cheap 'Black' bass which I bought for £80 bargin but time for a upgrade. I've tried a few and feel that a Fender P bass japanese 1995 for £495 and wondering will it keep its value well?[/quote]

Seems a tad expensive to me unless it is very minty or otherwise special. However, I've got one (a 1996) and I'm very pleased with it. It's ridiculously light, sounds the part and isn't so special that I can't take it anywhere.

Regarding keeping its value - after 15 years, I don't think it's ever going to worth much less than it's actually worth now but, as I say, that sounds about 100 quid too expensive in the first place.

Buy from here and it will retain value. To Joe Public, anything Fender in the £300-350 is a safe bet for a MIM.

£325:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88458"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88458[/url]

[quote name='merello' post='841800' date='May 19 2010, 10:25 AM']Get searching on here!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88247"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88247[/url]
£350![/quote]

Just to note that the OP is talking about an MIJ not a MIM. The snob-o-meter seems to put them somewhere in the middle I think. Money-wise about the same as MIM just harder to find.

Having said that, the bass you point out looks like a bit of a bargain if you like all the extra knobbery (can you say that on here?)

Edited by thepurpleblob

I've been looking at Ps and the jap ones with dings in seem to be 450-600, perhaps a bit more for mint, seen higher in shops trying there luck

After some considerable time looking around Im just trying to finalize buying a Jap P bass for 450 (not mint) and that seems to be about right based on what i've seen, or at least I've accepted that I'll pay that for what I want

Re MIMs, I put my 2009 MIM P bass up for £260 quick sale and it just slipped down the thread with no interest, I never got round to doing pics which did not help, but no one enquired about the "bargin" either

Having said that I think it will go on ebay for more than 260, so I will put it on there soon (unless i decide to keep it, cause it is a great bass for small gigs where you don't want to worry about your gear)

Edited by lojo

At that price you aren't far off the price of a USA bass. If you can stretch your budget a bit I have a 2009 USA P bass with added pup upgraded to Nordstrand pups AND a Badass III (inc' case and candy/tools etc.) admittedly maybe £200 more than the bass you are looking at but that 'certainly' won't lose its value!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='841803' date='May 19 2010, 10:29 AM'].....the OP is talking about an MIJ not a MIM. The snob-o-meter seems to put them somewhere in the middle I think.[/quote]

The Fender Japan stuff is still almost the guitar/bass world's best kept secret. They will not lose value - especially as they are now getting much harder to acquire (and the prices are rising).

Have played many Mex/Jap/US and there is no contest. There may be 'iffy' Mex's and US's, but never an iffy Jap. Rock-solid reliable and beautifully made (as you would expect).

Anyone happy to pay hundreds more for a 'Made in USA' decal on the headstock (that's the only difference) needs their head examined (IMO).

[quote name='Starless' post='843802' date='May 21 2010, 08:18 AM']The Fender Japan stuff is still almost the guitar/bass world's best kept secret. They will not lose value - especially as they are now getting much harder to acquire (and the prices are rising).

Have played many Mex/Jap/US and there is no contest. There may be 'iffy' Mex's and US's, but never an iffy Jap. Rock-solid reliable and beautifully made (as you would expect).

Anyone happy to pay hundreds more for a 'Made in USA' decal on the headstock (that's the only difference) needs their head examined (IMO).[/quote]

Even with Japanese instruments - where all manufacturing was outsourced by Fender - there are some divisions. Before the mid nineties they are marked "Made in Japan". After then (and a change in manufacturing contract) they are marked "Crafted in Japan". No doubt the cognoscenti have an opinion as to which is "the one to have" :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='843847' date='May 21 2010, 09:23 AM']Before the mid nineties they are marked "Made in Japan". After then (and a change in manufacturing contract) they are marked "Crafted in Japan". No doubt the cognoscenti have an opinion as to which is "the one to have" :)[/quote]

I can't tell any difference, but if it helps bump up the value of my MIJ, then long may the cognoscenti spread these desirability myths....

[quote name='Starless' post='843802' date='May 21 2010, 08:18 AM']Anyone happy to pay hundreds more for a 'Made in USA' decal on the headstock (that's the only difference) needs their head examined[/quote]

Being the owner of both a Japanese and an American Precision I need my head to be seriously examinated, because I hear and feel a huge difference

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='843537' date='May 20 2010, 08:47 PM']At that price you aren't far off the price of a USA bass. If you can stretch your budget a bit I have a 2009 USA P bass with added pup upgraded to Nordstrand pups AND a Badass III (inc' case and candy/tools etc.) admittedly maybe £200 more than the bass you are looking at but that 'certainly' won't lose its value![/quote]
On its way out again already? What have you spotted now? :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='843904' date='May 21 2010, 10:29 AM']On its way out again already? What have you spotted now? :)[/quote]

I'm in the process off fixing up my Warwick and I'm likely to get a cheaper Squier CV P (possibly with a pup upgrade) to fit in with my latest project! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='844321' date='May 21 2010, 04:21 PM']I'm in the process off fixing up my Warwick and I'm likely to get a cheaper Squier CV P (possibly with a pup upgrade) to fit in with my latest project! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Well, after owning it for five months, I'll vouch for what a fabulous bass this Fender is. They're really at the top of their game at the moment, and with the upgrades this is an absolute belter. Well worth the extra outlay.

It just ultimately lacked a string for my liking, and it had these metal things going across the fingerboard that kept getting in the way... oh, yeah, frets, that's what they're called. :)

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='840748' date='May 18 2010, 12:32 PM']Im about to buy my first semi expensive bass. Im currently using a cheap 'Black' bass which I bought for £80 bargin but time for a upgrade. I've tried a few and feel that a Fender P bass japanese 1995 for £495 and wondering will it keep its value well?[/quote]

I just brought a CIJ P for 450, the seller had others waiting behind me, I feel confident if i dont get on with it (unlikely) I could get my cash back

Also its nice to know that you can effectively hire something using its value as a deposit only, wish amps where the same

Anyway I cant promise you this, there are better bass value economists on here than me, but I was happy with the 450 I paid today

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='845371' date='May 22 2010, 09:50 PM']Makes me wonder what price my somewhat battered 1989 MIJ unlined fretless Jazz would fetch nowadays...[/quote]

check the for sale, i think a fretless Japan was just sold