Why become a member? ×

2008 Stingray 4H Fretless

martthebass

[quote name='witterth' post='838711' date='May 16 2010, 11:09 AM']Another bump
thats a REALLY GOOD PRICE!!
Mrs W paid £850 for my one (birthday present)
so someones getting a real bargin I'd say at £650!
Edit
and its a 1990/91 model[/quote]

Cheers W.

If it's a 1990/91 then it sat in it's case for 20 years and the price goes up as it's nearly vintage LOL.

According to the EBBM site the serial places it as most likely mid 2008 or less likely 2007 tho I could be wrong.
I had a 1990 Ray and it was very different - satin lacquer neck, bridge with mutes, serial on bridge and no quick battery change cover.

I waited for a while for one as nice as this to come along.....I'm gutted it hasn't worked out (sniff)

A few more images (all courtesy of the Wife's Lumix G1 - just goes to show with this picture quality it certainly isn't idiot proof) to show the excellent condition this bass is in........go on you know you want it :)

Edited by martthebass

if only this was up a couple of weeks ago i have just bough a 3eq ray in the same colour combo courtesy of bassbora. mine is a '99 and is in great condition but that looks great if your considering this then dont even think about it-they are great i paid 670 without the original case so this is a great bargain

[quote name='thebuckets' post='840127' date='May 17 2010, 08:12 PM']this is painfull! how can i be really happy with the one ive just bought (identical but in 3eq) and still want this?
this is as good as it gets for me
someone buy it you will be very happy i promise[/quote]

Cheers tB.

I can understand how you would still want it. The 2EQ sounds a lot different to the 3EQ on my other Ray, seems to suit fretless somehow.....never really found as much difference as some find between 2 and 3EQ on fretted. The thing I'm struggling with is the natural (oil) finished neck, I prefer the gloss on my other Ray and Status. I'd prefer to sell this and get something that suits better but if necessary I'll pay some cash to get this one sorted to my liking.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='840801' date='May 18 2010, 01:16 PM']+1

I share your pain Mart :)[/quote]

One day I'll have my 3 bass 'set' that I'm completely happy with. On that day; hell will freeze over, pigs will fly and the Conservatives will form a coalition government with the Lib-Dems (oh...scrub that last one).

Fortunately Mrs MTB never quizzes me too much, she just rolls her eyes when she sees one leave/enter the building.

Are you sorted now Nick?

[quote name='martthebass' post='840812' date='May 18 2010, 01:25 PM']One day I'll have my 3 bass 'set' that I'm completely happy with. On that day; hell will freeze over, pigs will fly and the Conservatives will form a coalition government with the Lib-Dems (oh...scrub that last one).

Fortunately Mrs MTB never quizzes me too much, she just rolls her eyes when she sees one leave/enter the building.

Are you sorted now Nick?[/quote]

Would you mind if I don't answer that question? I'd hate to make myself look silly :)

I've definitely got 1 in place, possibly 2. It's the elusive third one that keeps changing regularly.......

The bass is now with the Tech will be getting a neck scrub and re-oil, new strap locks fitted and even the ding on the lower edge filled/smoothed and re-touched. So for the moment this bass is withdrawn. If It doesn't feel right when it comes back then it may go back up for trade/sale......but hopefully it won't be.

Edited by martthebass

Good man you won't regret it I'm sure, though I personally like the neck finish give it six weeks and you will probably never go back to sticky gloss.
Once it comes back with the stralocks and the (minor) ding finished you won't wnt to let it go rays rock fretless rays sing! Someone just missed the steal of the century

[quote name='martthebass' post='842032' date='May 19 2010, 01:37 PM']Thanks tB.

In some respects I'm glad this wasn't snapped up. This way it's sort of getting a second chance. If I can get used to the neck finish when it comes back then this could well be my 3rd bass 'keeper'. If not, someone will get the opportunity to own a very nice, lovingly pampered fretless Ray.[/quote]

Bugger, my Classic Ray is now cancelled due to a few problems, and this was tempting. I hope it works out for you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had this back for a couple of days. The ding has been touched up, not perfect but much better (no pictures - sorry). The neck has been rubbed down and re-oiled and feels better but unfortunately it's still not doing it for me (think I'm happier with Jazz/Sterling profile necks on Fretless - strangely I'm the opposite with fretted) so I'm putting this back up for the last price I quoted - £650.

Still interested in trade options (4 string fretless only). I'm having a couple of days at the seaside so it may take me a day or two to respond to pms - but I will respond, honest...

Edited by martthebass

Hi W. As you probably know modern Rays have an oiled natural finish to the back of the neck. To make this one a little smoother it's been rubbed down with plastic wool and treated with TruOil (as recommended by EB). Doesn't look any different to before - just feels a little less dry.

[quote name='martthebass' post='854471' date='Jun 2 2010, 09:09 AM']Hi W. As you probably know modern Rays have an oiled natural finish to the back of the neck. To make this one a little smoother it's been rubbed down with plastic wool and treated with TruOil (as recommended by EB). Doesn't look any different to before - just feels a little less dry.[/quote]

If this worries a prospective 'buyer' just pm me - happy to provide photos, but really doesn't look any different to before. Feels pretty much like my old 2005 fretted Ray felt now, just finding that for fretless I prefer a satin/gloss neck. Any concerns - always happy for a visit and play. Might even throw in a cup o (Yorkshire) tea.

gotta give this a bump,
I've got one and its one of the things I'd go back in for if there was a fire!
ABSOLUTE steal of a price!! if I had the "spare" I'd have another (this one).....dont know why but I would!!
good luck M.
watching with interest
W

Edited by witterth