Why become a member? ×

So I finally caved - Matamp GT200

tayste_2000

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='899647' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:34 AM']Finished

I jammed with it for 2 hour tonight with my 8x10 and man I can't believe I waited this long before pulling the trigger on it.

The Tayste switch works perfectly even has a bit of boost on it so it sounds better than the front panel setting.

Got band practice tomorrow which will be fantastic, really looking forward to it.

So at the moment the front panel doesn't light up, this is due to me wanting red and they use a white electro iluminessence or however you spell it panel with a film across it, so 1 red film looked pink, they got it to red at about the 4th layer but then you couldn't see any light out of it. So they are sourcing a red plate but it will be a month, tbh I'm not fussed it looks stunning as is. I've ordered new black and red cinemascope badges for the 4x10 and 8x10 cabs.

I'm just so happy now, it's been a really great birthday.[/quote]

Which drivers are in the cab? Neo or Ferrite?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='billyapple' post='1107156' date='Jan 29 2011, 01:08 PM']Which drivers are in the cab? Neo or Ferrite?[/quote]

Sorry man missed this.

Ferrite, and ported cab it's a very aggressive sound not for everyone and the weight is insane :lol: the standard Neo sealed model is a bit more middle of the road good for everything if you get me, not quite as loud, much smoother and actually liftable as a single person :D

This cab in the right place in a venue (ie a corner) will get as loud as my 8x10 :) and sound a bit rattier doing it :)

I would personally recommend the neo version over mine, mainly due to weight and the fact there is a constant aggressiveness in my cab that can't be dialled out, which is perfect for me but won't be for most.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Me too :)

I never thought it would be possible but my GT200 actually killed my amp gas and made me sell 3 of my amps (Would have been more but its not a sellers market at the moment)

I still toy with the idea of getting 15-30w amp made to replace my 1957 Dynacord tube amp I use for home practice.

It always makes me laugh, especially on some of the more fruity US forums when people talk with reverence about the "Matamp Factory" like it's a scared, holy place, bathed in clean white light where tonez are made.

I wonder if they could see that it's a run-down shed, up a little lane, behind a Tesco, that's completely disorganised with fag ends everywhere, that reeks of smoke with projects that started between yesterday and 40 years ago littered around if they would have the same reverence?

I'm not knocking Matamp's product at all but they are very much a case of the British Inventor's Shed, not Googleplex.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1191446' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:50 AM']It always makes me laugh, especially on some of the more fruity US forums when people talk with reverence about the "Matamp Factory" like it's a scared, holy place, bathed in clean white light where tonez are made.

I wonder if they could see that it's a run-down shed, up a little lane, behind a Tesco, that's completely disorganised with fag ends everywhere, that reeks of smoke with projects that started between yesterday and 40 years ago littered around if they would have the same reverence?

I'm not knocking Matamp's product at all but they are very much a case of the British Inventor's Shed, not Googleplex.[/quote]

you want the british inventors shed though. I was gutted they wern't smoking pipes

[quote name='Toasted' post='1191446' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:50 AM']It always makes me laugh, especially on some of the more fruity US forums when people talk with reverence about the "Matamp Factory" like it's a scared, holy place, bathed in clean white light where tonez are made.

I'm not knocking Matamp's product at all but they are very much a case of the British Inventor's Shed, not Googleplex.[/quote]

LOL. Sounds interesting!

Id like to visit.

Hah, too true Joe. When I first went, the 'Green' sign outside was all smashed and I just walked in to a room full of fag ends and amazing gear. There wasn't even anyone in there, I just walked around for 5 mins looking at everything. Then Geoff came out and said 'c**t' a lot whilst slagging off every other amp maker. I loved it!

I must strongly disagree with this assessment, it is infact a Morrisons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drive is the gain, on mine it's a knob, on the standard model it clicks through various positions of set gains.

Depth is like a thickness control or as it sounds a depth control, basically I have it on full and most indie player who use my amp at gigs knock it down a setting or 2.

Presence is like a brightness control, it's all very interactive really and if you like a bright clicky sound you can get another chunk of headroom out of the amp by cranking this.

Hope this helps

Just to add, the depth setting kind of works like a high pass filter. The leftmost setting lets most bass through, and as you turn it clockwise, the cutoff point of the high pass filter is moved higher. So it almost feels like you're turning the knob the wrong way until you're used to it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find standard pot gain instead of 4-position one very useful? Especially for lower gain settings?

I've read a lot that it's a low mids monster, but can you scoop mids or set them flat.

Does it have bandaxall tobe stack?

Thanks!

Edited by jetofuj

[quote name='jetofuj' post='1242626' date='May 24 2011, 09:16 AM']Do you find standard pot gain instead of 4-position one very useful? Especially for lower gain settings?

I've read a lot that it's a low mids monster, but can you scoop mids or set them flat.

Does it have bandaxall tobe stack?

Thanks![/quote]

What mine has is a load of knobs that I turn all the way to the right, apart from the one on the left that I turn all the way to the left. Then I hit the bastard as hard as I can. And when I'm finished I let the police in.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1191939' date='Apr 7 2011, 04:47 PM']Similar experience :)[/quote]

+1

I loved it, then they offered me a GT1 at a very reasonable price and I agreed there and then. Then I worried about how I was going to get the money for it. Wouldn't buy an off the shelf amp again.

Great customer service too, bad power at a venue took out one of the tracks on the amp and they fixed it while I went upstairs at the factory and played through the speaker wall. No charge either. They did charge me for a re-tube but it was half the price you'd pay elsewhere. One of the bonus points of living an hours drive from the factory I guess.

Thought I might add, if anyone in the US is getting GAS pains from this thread, [url="http://www.midwestmatamp.com/"]Midwest Matamp[/url] can hook you up. [url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Matamp-Ltd/181588148532510"]Also on Facebook.[/url] Any of the Matamp users here can hit him up and get a band bio page maybe.