Why become a member? ×

So I finally caved - Matamp GT200

tayste_2000

Been spending the whole week looking at all sorts of amps everything from Fender Bassman 135, Soundcity 120b, Soundcity PA200, Simms Watt PA200 and everything in between, not for any real reason I already have 5 tube amps and then I realised I was just trying to fill a Matamp void just working off I can't afford a Matamp, well the truth is if I don't buy 3 vintage amps I can afford a Matamp :) plus I've sold 4 basses in the past 2 months or so and got another 1-2 selling now.

So I'm on the build list which is currently around a 12 week wait however, they do already have the headcase made for me in lovely red tolex to match my 3 Matamp cabs so I might be able to sneak in and get it sooner (never know if someone puts a hold on a head or decides they don't want it)

So today I'll be nailing down my spec I've got most of it sorted in my head but there are a few special requests that I need to see if they can do.

So there it is, in the next 2-3 months I should have a brand new custom Matamp GT200.

Edited by tayste_2000

Mainly if possible

6 or more click gain knob (current is 4)
Linkable inputs to provide more gain (You know if it does provide more gain)
Red lit front panel
Slave output
Some form of jack speaker output for connecting to my Avalon U5 or I might just get them to do a really good line out to the U5

Spoke to matamp finalised my spec as in found out what is and isn't possible and what actually makes a difference.

Basically they can do anything but jumpering the inputs makes no difference what so ever to the gain available so scrap that.

I'll write up the full spec later and let you all know

As sent to Matamp

[b]Amp internals[/b]

Slave output (I’ll provide db,v and ohm shortly, unless we can tune this around completion)

Standard output on DI with a view to possibly removing the pot and resistor.

Preset switch to switch depth, bass, treble and presence controls to internal trim pots. Gain and volume to stay controlled on the front panel

Preset switch to be labelled as TaySte

If possible I’d like the preset switch to be a big heavy duty one like the power switch located next to either Power or Standby

Switch to turn front panel light off

Standard depth control but extra caps to allow for more bass from the Low A I play.

Gain is to be a pot not 4 position click

[b]Aesthetics[/b]

Red headcase with chrome hardware inc front handles (This should be sat around from before Bassday)

Blackface plate with red writing

Glowing Green Matamp logo (The 3d cinemascope one [url="http://file017b.bebo.com/4/large/2006/09/27/12/12216502a2118822541b795756287l.jpg)"]http://file017b.bebo.com/4/large/2006/09/2...795756287l.jpg)[/url] But it only has to glow in 2d.

Custom made for Ste “TaySte” Taylor

Circles around inputs to be red

Hi Lo inputs to be renamed Active Passive depending on which one has the resistor on it

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='837316' date='May 14 2010, 03:52 PM']As sent to Matamp

[b]Amp internals[/b]

Slave output (I’ll provide db,v and ohm shortly, unless we can tune this around completion)

Preset switch to switch depth, bass, treble and presence controls to internal trim pots. Gain and volume to stay controlled on the front panel

If possible I’d like the preset switch to be a big heavy duty one like the power switch located next to either Power or Standby

Standard depth control but extra caps to allow for more bass from the Low A I play.

[b]Aesthetics[/b]

Red headcase with chrome hardware inc front handles (This should be sat around from before Bassday)

Glowing Green Matamp logo (The 3d cinemascope one [url="http://file017b.bebo.com/4/large/2006/09/27/12/12216502a2118822541b795756287l.jpg)"]http://file017b.bebo.com/4/large/2006/09/2...795756287l.jpg)[/url] But it only has to glow in 2d.

Hi Lo inputs to be renamed Active Passive depending on which one has the resistor on it[/quote]

intresting sounds like quite a reworking you've gone for!

[quote name='umph' post='837349' date='May 14 2010, 04:17 PM']intresting sounds like quite a reworking you've gone for![/quote]

Nothing that will change the tone there other than the gain pot which will allow for more gain that the click switch does.

Maybe the caps on the bass but they mentioned that they tried it and it didn't add anything but no one needs 30hz I said well I use a low A so can we try it.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='837351' date='May 14 2010, 04:20 PM']Nothing that will change the tone there other than the gain pot which will allow for more gain that the click switch does.

Maybe the caps on the bass but they mentioned that they tried it and it didn't add anything but no one needs 30hz I said well I use a low A so can we try it.[/quote]

personally i quite like the staged gain control. Most speakers dont get down to 50Hz let alone 30 so your not gonna hear a huge difference soundwise. Most of what you hear in your bass sound is the 2nd harmonic theres not a whole lot of fundemental in there!

[quote name='umph' post='837419' date='May 14 2010, 05:38 PM']personally i quite like the staged gain control. Most speakers dont get down to 50Hz let alone 30 so your not gonna hear a huge difference soundwise. Most of what you hear in your bass sound is the 2nd harmonic theres not a whole lot of fundemental in there![/quote]

I do like the staged gain control and could have it expanded to 6 stages but we just figured a gain knob would be easier.

Like I said with the caps we're going to try it and see what comes through, I don't need to hear a huge difference but some difference is some difference and I'm all for making my sound even fatter.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='838207' date='May 15 2010, 03:53 PM']Good god I don't even understand half of those specs! I can only just about handle gain, bass, mid and treble knobs :rolleyes:

That said, I'm sure it's going to absolutely annihilate anything it comes near :)[/quote]

Pffft there are like 600 controls on the 400+ yours even has an extra graphic eq slider than mine

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='837316' date='May 14 2010, 04:52 PM']As sent to Matamp

[b]Amp internals[/b]

[b]Aesthetics[/b]

Hi Lo inputs to be renamed Active Passive depending on which one has the resistor on it[/quote]
Cool!
Congratulations.
So,as said i think,you're getting the standard voicing of the sound then.(Not the more bassy version)?

Hmmmm at this point not sure it may be the more bassy voicing, they are quick mods that can be done when I collect it so I'll wait and see.

I've had a lot of involvement with Matamp so they know what I'm after.

I am so excited right now between this and my new bass :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='840899' date='May 18 2010, 03:30 PM']Hmmmm at this point not sure it may be the more bassy voicing, they are quick mods that can be done when I collect it so I'll wait and see.

I've had a lot of involvement with Matamp so they know what I'm after.

I am so excited right now between this and my new bass :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]
Well,you are getting what you want then,so you don't have to care.Perfect! :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...