Why become a member? ×

Valve Distortion...

JackieMoon

Hi All,

Currently trying to get a 60's/70's distorted tone (Jack bruce, Geezer etc) My amp at the mo is a Marshall MB4210, and there is no way I could afford an SVT or the like. So I am on the hunt for a pedal that can go some way to providing a *similar* sound. I have watched the video on the MarkBass distortion pedal but I would like to hear your opinions on the subject.

Look forward to responses, Many thanks , JM

I have a MB Distorsore but haven't much time to play with it. I've searched lots of valve drive pedal before deciding to go for the MB. First impression is that is a awsome pedal. A little too big though. The high and low pass filters sculpt your tone very nicely. You can get anything from a cool soft drive to huge amounts of fuzz. I recomend it if you have a big empty space on your pedalboard. One problem is that it is 12v powered.
I'm curious in trying out the Behringer VT911 and see if i can mod it to suit the bass. In a near future i'll open a topic for that.
Cheers

Im currently tinkering with one of [url="http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html"]these[/url]:

Its quite good but as its a guitar pedal, its going to need a little more work to get the tone REALLY nailed. Im very pleased with it so far though!

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='837615' date='May 14 2010, 08:57 PM']I'm currently tinkering with one of [url="http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html"]these[/url]:

Its quite good but as its a guitar pedal, its going to need a little more work to get the tone REALLY nailed. I'm very pleased with it so far though![/quote]

Just got one of those earlier, played it in anger half an hour later at practice, Christ it sounded so good. I love this pedal.

Zach

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='840379' date='May 17 2010, 11:45 PM']As others have said, the Tech 21 VT Bass is a great pedal for this sort of sound. I'd also suggest trying the EBS Valvedrive.[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to say. Either that or one of the Dave Hall pedals.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='837615' date='May 14 2010, 08:57 PM']Im currently tinkering with one of [url="http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html"]these[/url]:

Its quite good but as its a guitar pedal, its going to need a little more work to get the tone REALLY nailed. Im very pleased with it so far though![/quote]
Got one, Sold it on fairly swiftly. For me it took to much out of the bass, but then it is a guitar pedal, that and the staked pots were a bit fiddly.

Had a lend of Johhnylagers DHA VT3 which was a rather marvellous thing - & still on the shopping list for the future.

[quote name='nash' post='840950' date='May 18 2010, 03:06 PM']Didn't all the guys you mention use marshall superleads/bass? You could pic one up for 400-600 notes. I have one and it's amazing.[/quote]
Fired up my old Superbass at the the SE/LA mini bash recently. For a forty year old amp (admittedly a bit of a Triggers broom after its overhaul) and it still sounded great. Shame it weighs a ton & bigger cabs than I have, or my knackered body could manage nowadays

Edited by WalMan