Why become a member? ×

Thunderfunk 550

Dazzlovski

Hi guys 'n gals..

Ever had one of those situations where the more you twiddle with something the worse things appear to get ? :)
Well, that's me at the minute.

The Thunderfunk amp I currently use has an "infinitely variable" parametric EQ where you have the opportunity to cut and boost frequencies of your choice within quite a broad range.
I've read the owners manual and the advice is to "experiment" and that it will take time for the user to get used to making the minor tweaks necessary to enhance the overall tone/sound.
Having been previously used to Bass/Mid/Treble shelving controls or a graphic EQ this is giving me a headache..... :huh:

I'm determined to get the better of this but would appreciate any advice or tips that you bass-chatters can give on either the Thunderfunk EQ or paramateric EQ generally.

I play fingerstyle most of the time ( with a wee bit of slap thrown in now and then) , using an active jazz as my primary bass, and a Thumb.

I suspect any answers will suggest the correct settings for my EQ will depend on the room, the speaker enclosures I use (2 x Aguilar GS112's) and how aggressive I play the bass .........but as I say, any assistance with this would be great !

Heeelp !! :huh:

Edited by Dazzlovski

[quote name='Dazzlovski' post='91141' date='Nov 19 2007, 10:02 PM']I suspect any answers will suggest the correct settings for my EQ will depend on the room, the speaker enclosures I use (2 x Aguilar GS112's) and how aggressive I play the bass .........but as I say, any assistance with this would be great ![/quote]

Yep! What works well in one room may not work well in another. I always treat the settings I usually use as a starting point and it can change considerably depending on room and even where I put my gear on the stage.

Not familiar with the Thunderfunk (great name :) ) but there are two types of parametric - one has frequency and cut/boost and the other also adds a control for Q or bandwidth. Using a really narrow bandwidth can work as a notch filter for situations like every time you play an A the whole stage vibrates.

Like all EQ extremes are best avoided and max cut or boost at the frequency extremes is probably gonna sound sh*t (although useful for experimenting). The best advice I can give is f*** about with it until you learn what works and what does not.

hmm summit i do on PA to make things sound good.

persuming you are going to scoop (cut) the mids to a certain extent.
boost one of the parametrics to almost the top. as you play sweep across all the frequencies untill you find the nastiest most horrible sound you can find. then leave the frequency control and use the other control to cut the nasty frequency a bit viola!

Otherwise just fiddle with the amp with the graphic to try and find which specific frequencies you want to cut/boost and then go hunting for them on the parametric.

The Thunderfunk has a great EQ but TBH the best thing to do is start with it flat and try using the Enhance and/or Timbre controls first. If you look at the EQ on my amp in the pic' below it is exactly as used at a gig the night before and I've rarely had to tweak the EQ for rooms more than a nadge either side of 0. The advice to identify the problematic frequency is valid and often done like this to eliminate feedback.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5113"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5113[/url]

I did have an Eden WT550, which has a very similar semi-parametric eq. Well, don't be confused! If you're used to bass/mid/treble setups, well then leave the frequency at the center and use the cut/boost knobs as you would usually do. The only difference is that now you can change the frequency. So, let's say you wanna boost the mids a bit. Boost the mid parametric and then play with the frequency until you find the one you like the most - that's all.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='91382' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:08 PM']The Thunderfunk has a great EQ but TBH the best thing to do is start with it flat and try using the Enhance and/or Timbre controls first. If you look at the EQ on my amp in the pic' below it is exactly as used at a gig the night before and I've rarely had to tweak the EQ for rooms more than a nadge either side of 0.[/quote]
+1..... this is the usual advice given on TalkBass and the Eden forum for Thunderfunk and WT amps. I am in the early stages of using and finding out about my TF550B and I am running everything on 12 o'clock and adjusting from the bass.

Hey Guys..
Cheers for the advice. :)
Thats how I like it...nice and simple.

WarwickHunt......thanks for the Pic. That'll be my starting point,
Chris B and the rest of you guys.... thanks for the tips !

I was lucky enough this week that FedEx brought me a new toy. A beautiful Sadowsky J4-NYC baby-girl :huh: ! She has the Vintage tone control and even more potential to either bugger-up or enhance my current tone, so it's time to lock myself away and get tweaking.

I know the perfect tone is in there somewhere , I just need to get busy with it !

Thanks again guys.... keep 'em comin.

Daz :huh:

[quote name='largo' post='93066' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:32 PM']Out of curiosity, why did you not just buy an amp with a graphic EQ or similar ?[/quote]

mmmm... good question! :huh:
A combination of things really. I had an Aguilar AG500 and there wasn't enough versatility with the basic EQ, and I'd heard and read so much about the TF that I needed to try one out. The guy I bought my TF from was an accomplished player and really new his way around the frequencies and the thing sounded really sweet. I thought "I'll have some of that...how hard can it be ?"

To be honest , its great. It's powerful has fantastic tone width, the only problem I have with is it ME (currently) :)
The advice above has been great. Everything set flat and then tweak ever so gently with the cut and boost, ...some 'enhance' and cut the 'timbre' and voila !... its getting better.

I'm convinced when I get a little handier with this thing , It'll probably be the best all-rounder I've played through.
The Thumb sounds good through it, but the Sadowsky sounds a-w-e-s-o-m-e ! :huh:

Hi RIM basses, what frequencies do you cut on the mids for the best slap-tone ?... do you cut from the 12-o'clock position ?

Cheers fellas

Daz