Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT2-PRO Flight case question(s)!

shiekaa

I'm looking to get a flight case for my SVT2-PRO Head and am trying to look at my options.

I've narrowed it down to;

- needing space for ventilation due to the intake through the left of the head

- needing wheels (anyone who has one knows how heavy that son of a bitch is)

- probably needing shockmounting for two reasons
1. for the ventilation it would give!
2. wanting the best protection for an expensive head!

The problem I have is I'm not sure whether to go for 4U and take rubber mounts off or 6U for extra ventilation

I'd really appreciate any advice people could give me on where to get a flightcase, If I'm missing out any information and whatever else people have to say!

Cheers,

Sam

I used to house my SVT2 Pro in either a wooden 4u rack case OR a normal 'plastic' rack case (SKB variety). I found that the internal fan in the SVT wasn't really sufficient - however, I bought a 12v 12cm computer fan and I had a 12v DC power adaptor already to power it. I mounted the fan to the grill on the back of the SVT using cable ties. (I also used 4 fat nylon washers to hold the fan away from the grill as well.) So - no screws and no damage to the amp itself - removeable and won't leave a mark either.

The fan's air flow sucked hot air away from the amp - and it made a HUGE difference to the temperature of the surrounding case. i.e. - without - bloomin' hot - with - just warm to the touch! I think Ampeg missed a trick with this one. You only have to look at other maunfacturers who put a fan on the back of their valve amps to see it's a good idea!

Try it it really does work and a lot cheaper than having to choose a rack based on ventilation!

[quote name='shiekaa' post='836555' date='May 13 2010, 08:10 PM']Ahhh i see thats a pretty good idea! So did you put the cable ties through the washers on the back? You would reccomend just getting a 4U then based on your fan idea and removing the rubber bottoms?

Cheers

Sam[/quote]

yup, cable ties through the washers then round the gril and back to meet the other end of the cable tie. it was a bit fiddley with the grill left on! But that was just me being lazy!

Yup, I unscrewed the rubber feet so the amp could slide into the case. That's not unusual though - I think I have had to remove feet from all my amps before racking them!

Certainly the method worked for me and given that the fan is a good one with a strong flow, there's no reason why it won't work for others.

If you do try the method, don't forget those computer fans must be wired with the correct polarity. The wrong way round and they won't spin at all! (+=red -=black).

[quote name='shiekaa' post='835609' date='May 12 2010, 07:47 PM']I'm looking to get a flight case for my SVT2-PRO Head and am trying to look at my options.

I've narrowed it down to;

- needing space for ventilation due to the intake through the left of the head

- needing wheels (anyone who has one knows how heavy that son of a bitch is)

- probably needing shockmounting for two reasons
1. for the ventilation it would give!
2. wanting the best protection for an expensive head!

The problem I have is I'm not sure whether to go for 4U and take rubber mounts off or 6U for extra ventilation

I'd really appreciate any advice people could give me on where to get a flightcase, If I'm missing out any information and whatever else people have to say![/quote]
Hi!
Side ventilation for these amps is a must and adding a fan at the rear to draw away heat will ensure that they don,t let you down by overheating.
Mine are housed in a shock mounted rack where the inner rack is surrounded by foam in a larger outer case, there are holes cut in the side of the inner rack adjacent to the amp air intake on the left that line up with sections of the foam that has been cut out forming channels for air to be drawn from the front of the rack and then there are rack fans at the rear.
If you do go for an skb type rack case then make sure that the recessed handle of the rack doesn,t foul the amps air intake or it,ll cook.
:-)
Cheers,

Sam

[quote name='wizbat' post='837031' date='May 14 2010, 11:42 AM']Weird!
My post ended up in the quote box!! you can tell I don,t post much!![/quote]

I've fixed it for you ma man!

I have a Mesa Boogie shock rack for my SVTII

There's some pics here : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86917"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86917[/url]

I did get one offer for the amp without the rack so there's an outside chance I might be able to sell the rack on its own. Doesn't have any wheels though so maybe not any use for you. I can lift it on my own but it's a 2 man job ideally - especially if any sort of distance is involved!

They are pretty bomb-proof though - which is very useful with all those valves to protect :)

• 2 months later...

I got an SKB case for my SVT 5 (A hot amp) and didnt realise the fan out vents were at the side (Yes I know, I am an idiot). Needless to say said amp got very very hot indeed and now needs a service. It did survive a whole gig though, amazingly. Toying with the idea of cutting some big holes in the side or getting a more lightweight rack with better ventilation - im not sure I have the expertise or inclination to go creating a fan system for a case...! (unless you want ot come and do it for me Dan hahahahaha)

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump this, but it is relevant. I'm getting a live in flight case for my Matamp head and a couple of rack bits too, and I have a question regarding the fans. The Matamp has an air vent on the top, but this doesn't seem to stop a lot of people from racking their Orange/Mesa etc heads in the same way. I'm going to have a gap in the foam where the vent is to allow some air flow, but I'd like to strap a fan to the back regardless.

So here's my question. I was going to set it up so that there is fresh air blowing onto the amp, but it seems from the responses here that people are advising using fans to draw air away from the amp instead. Which is a better idea?

Cheers,

Chris

I thought about that. But I just don't like the lift off cases, and I'd prefer it all in one box. I think a fan will keep air moving whichever direction it is pointing at any rate, which is the important thing I guess. I can't afford a case just now anyway, so I suppose it's all a bit moot.