Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact on tour

I'm leaving for Oslo on Wednesday, so looks like I'll have to pass for the time being. I've no gigs lined up either so it actually makes no sense for me to even try it despite how much I'd like to.

Stephen, pass it on to razze06 although if you feel like popping into the shop with it for a demo, then that's cool.

D.

[quote name='largo' post='878104' date='Jun 26 2010, 12:58 PM']....The shape/size is perfect for carrying but again, as a gigging bassist I found my amp rack didn't sit on the top of the cab properly, a real pain. If I went for one these cabs then I'd properly change my rack too to a gig bag but I'd lose the protection of putting my amp in a flightcase for transport. Oh if only it was another inch wider....[/quote]
My SKB rack currently hangs over my Bergantino AE112 cabs and used to do the same with my Aguilar GS112 cabs when I stacked them on end.

OK, two choices....

I wouldn't mind keeping the cab until next weekend where I've got a couple more gigs at different venues. I would then have had the cab just over a week !
Doing this might mean that DekSawyer is back from Oslo, and then after his few days with the cab it would also mean Razze06 is back.

Otherwise, who is next on the list and I'll arrange a courier delivery to them in the next few days?

[quote name='largo' post='879622' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:14 AM']OK, two choices....

I wouldn't mind keeping the cab until next weekend where I've got a couple more gigs at different venues. I would then have had the cab just over a week !
Doing this might mean that DekSawyer is back from Oslo, and then after his few days with the cab it would also mean Razze06 is back.

Otherwise, who is next on the list and I'll arrange a courier delivery to them in the next few days?[/quote]

Your first option is ideal for me, i'd rather get it when i'm back instead of letting it lie in my house, unused, until I get back.

I'd expect the sender to pay postage to keep things simple. However last time round almost all the exchanges went hand-to-hand so hardly any postage was involved.

By the way, you can have a second Speakon added at the build stage but very few people have opted for that. I prefer not to daisy chain cabs because it only takes one poor connection to kill the sound from your rig, plus daisy chaining also opens the possibilities of series wiring to solve impedance problems but that opens another can of worms if done with dissimilar cabs.

If the guys in Fife/Edinburgh let me know when the cab is ready to make it's Southward journey I may be able to pop up to get it... if that's awkward (and our Edinburgh and Fife bolt-holes are let out for the Open) then the courier option may be required... unless someone fancies meeting up halfway? I guess that would be around Wooler/Jedburgh/Berwick depending on your preferred route!

[quote name='Bottle' post='856940' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:29 AM']Might be worth popping yourself after 'waltsdog' - seems like a sensible route from SW London - N London/Essex - Cambridge then

HTH, Ian[/quote]

An eminently sensible suggestion, Ian.

waltsdog, will be contacting you via PM.

I will be up in Edinburgh and Fife in a couple of weeks time (up on July 30th back down on 4th August), so if we could arrange a hand-over around then, that would save you a bit of cash!

• 2 weeks later...

Only tried at house volumes through the puma 350 and a variety of basses (squier CV jazz, Epi et280, CMI ned callan), and obtained interesting results A/B'ing it with the TecAmp s210 cab.

Both cabs are very light, the handle on the compact is nice and simple and balances well. The metal corners could have been more flush with the sides, and the screws that hold them in place would have been better flat-headed. The rubber feet are a very nice touch, and I personally like both the logo and the silver cloth grille.

At house practice volume, the differences are already obvious: the compact pushes out far more low end that the 2x10, but is less crisp and defined in the mid range. In essence, to my ears the compact sounds a lot warmer throughout, and my ideal solution would be use the tecamp AND the compact together. Alas, that can't be easily done, since the 2x10 is a 4 ohm cab...

I will put it through its paces tonight at practice at higher volume and in a band setting. I'm also interested in checking out how it performs with the old and trusty Peavey Mark III. More tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to those on the waiting list...

The Compact is still in Edinburgh. Marco (razze06) sustained some serious injuries recently and has not yet been able to arrange delivery of the cab. We are working on it so hopefully people can be patient and understanding in the meantime...

More news as and when it becomes available.

Geoff

[quote name='alexclaber' post='842345' date='May 19 2010, 06:31 PM']largo - Fife, Scotland.
razze06 - Edinburgh
Conan - Newcastle, travels to Edinburgh/Fife
wateroftyne - Tyneside-ish
bassfunk - Manchester
skychaserhigh - Stockport

Protium - Runcorn
Bass Culture - Chester
daz - Chester
tonyf - Solihull
xzodar - Bristol
baixo - Reading (or Slough)
chris_b - Kingston upon Thames
waltsdog - SW London
Bottle - Cambridge
freefaaall - Crawley[/quote]

Couldn't wait so bought a 2nd-hand Compact. Have removed myself from the list. Will post review in due course.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Conan' post='916716' date='Aug 6 2010, 09:39 AM']Quick update to those on the waiting list...

The Compact is still in Edinburgh. Marco (razze06) sustained some serious injuries recently and has not yet been able to arrange delivery of the cab. We are working on it so hopefully people can be patient and understanding in the meantime...

More news as and when it becomes available.

Geoff[/quote]

Should finally be collecting the Compact and returning it to England this weekend!! Rehearsal on wednesday to put it through its paces at decent volume and then will pass it on to WoT....

Many thanks to Conan for his patience and understanding, and to Gavin (krispn here) for arranging pickup.

I have spent 2 1/2 weeks in hospital and the same again at home recovering from severe burns, caused by burning oil. It was a very nasty cooking accident that happened at home, and is going to leave me with scars and a piece of advice: never ever lose sight of the pan when frying something, even when completely sober. Burning oil explodes when it hits the ground or anything else, and it sticks...

Fortunately most of the damage is to my lower legs, so playing bass has not been affected too much (would have been a good excuse for my poor skills)

[quote name='razze06' post='906915' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:01 PM']The handle on the compact is nice and simple and balances well. The metal corners could have been more flush with the sides, and the screws that hold them in place would have been better flat-headed. The rubber feet are a very nice touch, and I personally like both the logo and the silver cloth grille.[/quote]

Totally agree with Marco on these points. The quality of construction is great, but a few of the details of the finish do slightly let the package down IMO. Having tried the previous touring Compact I think I prefer the metal grille plate to the "Fender-style" cloth (which could also be a bit tighter...). The painted coating on the cab is a bit "slippery", so you may need a non-slip mat or something to stop the amp being accidentally pulled off the top...

Anyway, I used the Compact with my LH500 at rehearsals on wednesday evening. I enjoyed the sound a lot, and the best thing of all is that my 12 year old son could carry the cab in one hand into the studio!! How cool is that?!

Once it was set up, it did look a bit small compared to the Ashdown stack that I am used to (No sh*t, Sherlock!) but the sound soon showed that size does not matter. Punchy but deep. Rounded and warm. Smooth but biting. Clear but raunchy... It certainly brought the mid-range to the fore far more than the 410s do, which was nice as I like a rather "mid-heavy" tone. Volume wise, it had no problem at all - even though at 8 ohms the amp would only be putting out around 300w. It would be great if the Compact was available as a 4ohm version as well.

Our keyboard player (who is also a sound engineer) was very impressed with the sound. The guitarist thought the tone was great, and cut through well - but as he put it, he could "hear me, but not feel me". Which I take to mean that some of the real low end was missing. Not sure I agree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion I guess!

If nobody minds (I think WoT is next in line) I'd like to use that cab again this wednesday as we try to nail some new tracks. The style of music, BTW, is mostly eighties rock and "hair-metal" kinda thing (Van Halen, Winger, etc), so fairly straightforward bass lines that really need to cut through and provide a sound foundation to the guitars and keys.

So, all in all, a great cab that does exactly what it says on the tin. One or two minor drawbacks (finish quality and 8ohm impedance chiefly), but it's main advantage is it's mass. I just can't believe how light it is! And that quality pretty much outweighs the minor niggles.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='952808' date='Sep 11 2010, 03:24 PM']Totally agree with Marco on these points. The quality of construction is great, but a few of the details of the finish do slightly let the package down IMO. Having tried the previous touring Compact I think I prefer the metal grille plate to the "Fender-style" cloth (which could also be a bit tighter...). The painted coating on the cab is a bit "slippery", so you may need a non-slip mat or something to stop the amp being accidentally pulled off the top...

Anyway, I used the Compact with my LH500 at rehearsals on wednesday evening. I enjoyed the sound a lot, and the best thing of all is that my 12 year old son could carry the cab in one hand into the studio!! How cool is that?!

Once it was set up, it did look a bit small compared to the Ashdown stack that I am used to (No sh*t, Sherlock!) but the sound soon showed that size does not matter. Punchy but deep. Rounded and warm. Smooth but biting. Clear but raunchy... It certainly brought the mid-range to the fore far more than the 410s do, which was nice as I like a rather "mid-heavy" tone. Volume wise, it had no problem at all - even though at 8 ohms the amp would only be putting out around 300w. It would be great if the Compact was available as a 4ohm version as well.

Our keyboard player (who is also a sound engineer) was very impressed with the sound. The guitarist thought the tone was great, and cut through well - but as he put it, he could "hear me, but not feel me". Which I take to mean that some of the real low end was missing. Not sure I agree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion I guess!

If nobody minds (I think WoT is next in line) I'd like to use that cab again this wednesday as we try to nail some new tracks. The style of music, BTW, is mostly eighties rock and "hair-metal" kinda thing (Van Halen, Winger, etc), so fairly straightforward bass lines that really need to cut through and provide a sound foundation to the guitars and keys.

So, all in all, a great cab that does exactly what it says on the tin. One or two minor drawbacks (finish quality and 8ohm impedance chiefly), but it's main advantage is it's mass. I just can't believe how light it is! And that quality pretty much outweighs the minor niggles.[/quote]

The 8ohm issue is worrying me too, as my amp classes as "totally weedy" according to the website. Good marketing there :)

[quote name='Protium' post='953122' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:34 PM']The 8ohm issue is worrying me too, as my amp classes as "totally weedy" according to the website. Good marketing there :)[/quote]

True. And as two Compacts comes in at nearly a grand... it's an expensive way of getting the full 300 "Ashdown" watts out of it! :rolleyes:

Question for Alex - would it be difficult or inadvisable to market a 4 ohm option on the Compact?