Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact on tour

[quote name='Bottle' post='842947' date='May 20 2010, 11:32 AM']Cheers Alex

Looking forward to trying the cab out when it gets here!

On a related note, if there's anyone else in the Cambridge area who fancies meeting up at any point to have a noodle and chat about basses, then PM me!

HTH, Ian[/quote]
Yes, count me in. It's the closest it's likely to get to Suffolk. I waited 6 months last time after it was routed the opposite way round the country and it got recalled before it made it this far. Cambridge mini-bash?

[quote name='pete.young' post='843579' date='May 20 2010, 09:39 PM']Yes, count me in. It's the closest it's likely to get to Suffolk. I waited 6 months last time after it was routed the opposite way round the country and it got recalled before it made it this far.[/quote]
I'm happy to hand it off to you after I'm done, if that meets with Alex's approval. I'm often over in Bury/Newmarket, so can meet there if more convenient

[quote]Cambridge mini-bash?[/quote]
For sure - I've had some interest from other BC'ers about meeting up in Cambridge at some point. I'll let you know how that pans out. Stay tuned

HTH, Ian

Hi Alex - I'd like to test the cab out too, if it wasn't too much bother to get it across the water to me in Northern Ireland. Postage shouldn't be that much more expensive depending on courier.

[quote name='Bottle' post='843647' date='May 20 2010, 10:53 PM']I'm happy to hand it off to you after I'm done, if that meets with Alex's approval. I'm often over in Bury/Newmarket, so can meet there if more convenient[/quote]

OK, you're 16th on the list, so assuming that no-one else inserts their name ahead of yours in the meantime, you should get it around January/February 2011. :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='844448' date='May 21 2010, 06:03 PM']Hi Alex - I'd like to test the cab out too, if it wasn't too much bother to get it across the water to me in Northern Ireland. Postage shouldn't be that much more expensive depending on courier.[/quote]

You're welcome to try mine Danny. And my Midget if you like?
Let me know.

Frank.

Hey Alex

I know I'm (hopefully) already on the "Midget T" tour but can I stick my name down for this one too? As you know, I have one of the first compacts and would love to hear for myself what a two compact stack will sound like!

Am in the north London and Essex areas, if that helps put me on it's tour path, anyone....

[quote name='largo' post='842840' date='May 20 2010, 09:51 AM']I'm OK with that if eveyone else is. If it helps, if I get the cab before next weekend I've got 2 gigs over that weekend so will only keep hold of it for a week before passing it to Deek.[/quote]

Has the cab made it up to the Kingdom of Fife yet? I'll be up there later this week so that it can continue its journey to the Toon if everyone is OK with that?

Nope, I was hoping to have it for last weekend but it didn't happen. I've got a gig this weekend in Edinburger, with PA support so fingers crossed will have it for then and will pass it on from there.

[quote name='largo' post='852886' date='May 31 2010, 08:06 PM']Nope, I was hoping to have it for last weekend but it didn't happen. I've got a gig this weekend in Edinburger, with PA support so fingers crossed will have it for then and will pass it on from there.[/quote]

No worries! We leave Edinburgh on sunday afternoon, so I'll PM you the details (address etc). If it doesn't happen this weekend, so be it - I have another cunning plan! :)

[quote name='deksawyer' post='842713' date='May 20 2010, 12:12 AM']Alex, stick me in between Largo & razze06 as I'm logistically between them both.

Also, I'm still waiting on you sending me a Barefaced badge that I designed!! :)

cheers

D.[/quote]

Is this still valid? Is Largo going to get it first, then deksawyer, and then me?

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='852785' date='May 31 2010, 05:41 PM']I know I'm (hopefully) already on the "Midget T" tour but can I stick my name down for this one too? As you know, I have one of the first compacts and would love to hear for myself what a two compact stack will sound like!

Am in the north London and Essex areas, if that helps put me on it's tour path, anyone....[/quote]
Might be worth popping yourself after 'waltsdog' - seems like a sensible route from SW London - N London/Essex - Cambridge then

HTH, Ian

[quote name='alexclaber' post='857001' date='Jun 4 2010, 11:14 AM']Just to update y'all, we've had a sudden flurry of orders so this is on the backburner until they're sorted![/quote]

Which has reminded me, Alex - you better take me off the Compact tour seeing as I am looking forward to taking delivery of one of that flurry of orders in a few weeks!

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='857001' date='Jun 4 2010, 11:14 AM']Just to update y'all, we've had a sudden flurry of orders so this is on the backburner until they're sorted![/quote]

In which case , if its not too late, could I add my name to the list. I,m in Chichester, so could collect, .................. and hate carriers, so would deliver in person to the next nearby trierouterist !

Thanks Mike.

[quote name='largo' post='873303' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:36 AM']Superb, if I have these for this weekend I've got gigs Friday & Saturday. Deek are you OK for getting this next week if it arrives to me before Friday?[/quote]

I'm still up for it, Stephen although I've no immediate gigs lined up....

D.

Compact has left! Included is a sample badge for deksawyer, as he designed it, and a couple of Auralex blocks for tilting/isolating the cab. Please keep all the packaging (flat-pack the box and stick the corners in a bag so they don't get lost) and pass it onto the next user in case it has to be couriered between two tourees (tourettes?) Expect it to reach its Scottish destination tomorrow.

OK, the Compact "On Tour" model arrived yesterday and not one to hesitate I had the chance to gig it last night for the first time. As asked for by Alex, I've taken a couple of pics with my phone (apologies but not the greatest) and have included a review below.

BUILD/QUALITY/APPEARANCE: 7

The cab arrived well packed, and the first thing I noticed was how light the package was.
Straight out the box, the cab looked great and again, I can't stress enough how light the thing is. Close inspection showed the finish to be the paint-on job that Alex uses. I'll be honest and say my preference as a gigging bassist has always been carpet or Tolex as I feel it's the hardest wearing of all finishes, but the paint-on stuff seems to work OK although it makes an otherwise quality built cab look home made. The chrome corners give it a vintage-vibe but again, if I'm critical they weren't flush to the corners. Again I'm going to nit pick, but hey it's my review ! The side handle is great, and I had my reservations before hand but it works a treat. However, why put chrome screws in a black handle. Again, it gives the cab a slightly home made feel to it.

Comments from fellow band members were, the cab looks home made, the badge doesn't look right for the vintage-vibe and reminded the drummer of an Iron Maiden logo. Style was like a bassists cab from the clubs back in the 70's ! Let's just say I took a fair bit of stick over the way it looked.

FEATURES : 7

Not easy to score this, it's only a bass cab but again, here's my honest review/opinion. The cab has a single speakon jack and as an 8 ohm cab I think there should be the option of 2, even if it's at the build stage. The shape/size is perfect for carrying but again, as a gigging bassist I found my amp rack didn't sit on the top of the cab properly, a real pain. If I went for one these cabs then I'd properly change my rack too to a gig bag but I'd lose the protection of putting my amp in a flightcase for transport. Oh if only it was another inch wider !

Weight is the biggest factor (as well as sound, read on!) and it really is unbelievably light, so a big plus on that one.

SOUND: 10

Amp: Markbass SA450
Bass: Shuker Jazz 5
Playing style: Mostly finger style, some pick and some (very poor) slap.
Effects: None.
Music: Wedding band material typically
Current Cab: Schroeder 410L 4 ohm

Wow! An amazing sounding cab with a really even response, and with a good clear "bite" to the sound. I've only played this cab once, but this is the sound I've been trying to achieve from my gear for years. You won't get a glass-like treble but this cab really let's me hear my bass from low B through to the highs. It's a very precise cab as well, which I liked.

SUPPORT: 10

Alex is a great person to deal with. Also a one month trial, with your money back if you don’t like the cab. Can't say fairer than that.

GENERAL COMMENTS

For the sound alone I want one. Still not the greatest looking cab and had a home made look/feel to it. However, for the weight, and specifically the sound I'll be getting in touch with Alex soon to place my order.

That's me done it, I'll be gigging again tonight (same venue unfortunately) and will then get this to DekSawyer who is next on the list.

S

Edited by largo