Why become a member? ×

Guaranteed Dancefloor Emptiers

ianwild16

Any slow song, no matter how well played.

We've dropped When A Blind Man Cries, When September Ends & Behind Blue Eyes.

Lots of folk liked listening & some young bucks would sometimes say Blind Man was our best song, but no-one else seemed to give a rat's shoe.

Mark

We tended not to play real "floor emptiers" more than twice as someone in the band would more or less refuse to play it again as it had gone down so badly at the previous gig ! So couldn't say for sure if there were any consistent ones or just ones that didn't appeal to particular audiences.

Like Phaedrus, we found that anything slow would empty the floor unless played at the very end of the night.

And to get our own back I would alway put a CD of "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" (Monty Python) once we'd finished and the lights were about to come back home :) That way everyone would go home whistling....

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='90663' date='Nov 19 2007, 08:53 AM']Rock N Roll Star - Oasis.

On paper, it should work fine: well known song, glam rock feel but people don't go for it. They're at the bar before the vocals start. Maybe it's how we do it. It's on the subs bench these days. Only for emergencies.[/quote]

When you absolutely, positively gotta make every motherflippa leave the room...

Blood and Thunder at an Indie gig :) A band dropped out so my band who were there to support mates and were slightly drunk came on stage and bashed out this tune...We played it amazingly, however the guys in skinny jeans were as a member of the audience said later a bit 'scared'

Edited by E_MaN

We've never cleared a floor before, we usually start off with a stand-off-ish crowd (que singers joke about the space on the floor in front of us) and by the end of the set we have folk all over us - that's just the way we work the set list I think. But at practice if I get bored and do a bit of Sunn O))) I usually get a few WTF looks and the offended have been know to leave the room. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='92195' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:02 PM']We've never cleared a floor before, we usually start off with a stand-off-ish crowd (que singers joke about the space on the floor in front of us) and by the end of the set we have folk all over us - that's just the way we work the set list I think. But at practice if I get bored and do a bit of Sunn O))) I usually get a few WTF looks and the offended have been know to leave the room. :)[/quote]

Bu if you did it in front of me I would sit floorcenter and smile all evening!

[quote name='ARGH' post='92293' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:05 PM']yeah I met her in Farnham a few times....

She has a close cousin in Otley[/quote]

and rest of her family live in teesside. love the thought mind.

Dance floor killers been along while I feel I can read a crowd quite well so kinda steer away from this might be a bad Idea. but daaddy brother mister big was a real emptier ironically when we finished a big party arrived asking for mister big tunes argh and where were you lot earlier. Twas in Pickering if memorory serves me right

• 4 years later...

Breathing life into an ancient thread that perhaps should have been left alone...

Played at a wedding on Saturday. Most of the audience was 30ish and stuff from Ziggy Stardust to Comfortably Numb [1] via She Sells Sanctuary and Use Somebody all went down well, but at some point we played Underdog by Kasabian and the dance floor was clear by the time the guitarist played the intro riff the second time.

[1] The guitarist kept saying it wasn't a wedding song and wouldn't play it, then right at the end they wanted another song and I persuaded him to do it. Went down a storm.