Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro2 SB's

bassatnight

Here's my much abused Aria:
[attachment=49284:Aria1.jpg][attachment=49285:aria2.jpg][attachment=49286:aria3.jpg]
[attachment=49287:aria4.jpg]

It's the second bass I ever bought. Part-ex'd an Aria Cardinal bass, a flanger and a vesta fire distortion +£80 for it in 1989.
I'm considering getting it restored back to how it should be.
Just need to find someone who can do it.

No apologies required, good to see the marque recognised.

Nice looking basses. :)

I think Aria of this period, made some truly great basses and I have a few of them.

First up is in my opinion, a very good bass - one that is never put on anyone's want
list, probably skip by it when reading the ads but when I got mine, I went and bought
another, just to make sure. :lol:
Punchy, is the best description.

The Red one. Just Luvverly

The Grey one. Just as Luvverly

SB Special II

These are nice to play. Stacked Volume and Tone, Series/Parallel - Some great tones
and weighs next to nothing.

I have some other Classic/Rare Aria but never took any pics.
Will try and sort it.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to taking a pic of my Series 2 SB1000.

I've never seen another on except for the ones on Graeme Fyfe's exellent Aria Site.

[url="http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/sb10002s.htm"]Aria Site[/url]

[i][/i]

[i]Very[/i] different to it's older brother.

Also, while I've still got the green fur up :lol:........... pics of the TSB 650, medium scale thumper. :)

That's all for now. :lol:

:rolleyes:

Mmmm :wub: Watched the TOTP2 Duran prog the other night (woeful miming, incorrect facts and nasty spiteful narration by Mark Radcliffe [what a dick he is]) and was treated to much SB visual loveliness.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just acquired this Aria Pro II SB Special II:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/38357939@N02/5875982555/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/38357939@N02/5875982555/"]DSCF5610[/url] on Flickr

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/38357939@N02/5876542782/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/38357939@N02/5876542782/"]DSCF5612[/url] on Flickr

Thumb rest is obv. not original but generally the bass is in pretty good nick apart from a few cracks in the lacquer.

Can anyone tell me more about this instrument? It was made in Japan and I'm guessing early 80s but catalogues I have seen on-line don't picture this exact version with the 2 matching pickups.

TIA :).

ETA: @FlatEric: looks like the same model as your last 2 pics in post #5.

Edited by muttley

[quote name='muttley' post='1283765' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:04 AM']Can anyone tell me more about this instrument? It was made in Japan and I'm guessing early 80s but catalogues I have seen on-line don't picture this exact version with the 2 matching pickups.

TIA :).[/quote]

The first digit of the serial number is generally the year of manufacture; 0=1980, 1=1981 etc. - I'd expect to see a 3 or 4 at the start of yours.

There are variations to this rule of thumb however, & it all goes to buggery once production moved to Korea.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1283877' date='Jun 27 2011, 11:27 AM']The first digit of the serial number is generally the year of manufacture; 0=1980, 1=1981 etc. - I'd expect to see a 3 or 4 at the start of yours.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Serial number starts with a 4 so it's a 1984 then.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add a couple of pics of my SB. A 1983 model I acquired last December & it was in an un-loved state. Not through abuse, but it had seen virtually no use at all by the previous owner for about 10 years. The bass also had a broken pickup coil on the bridge pup. After much cleaning & polishing (particularly on the frets) it went for a set up at my local music shop.They sent the broken pick up to Kent Armstrong to be fixed. Once I got it back, I added a little bit more foam under the bridge pup to get it closer to the strings & then put on a new set of DR handmades.

After all of that I've now got one of the best basses I've ever heard & played for an outlay of around £250!! More than a little pleased & this is now a gigging bass.

Like Muttleys post above, I have found little info on this pickup arrangement. I've been told that is model was probably a limited run of specials - sounds plausible given it's model name of 'SB Special 2'.

Anyway - it rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my SB-R80, my first ever bass - a 1982 build I bought 2nd hand in 1984. It's actually the third time I own it, have been daft enough to sell it twice, but also lucky enough to get the chance to get it back both times - though the first time it took about 18 years... It's not going anywhere anymore though!! :) Totally awesome bass!!

Oh, and it's been played by Jonas Hellborg at a Swedish bass bash. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

[i]Hi Guys and Gals :) [/i]
[i]Good to see Lots of love going on for these amazing beasts :gas: [/i]
[i]I'm Lucky enough to have two,, A 1981 SB700,, Great sound , lovely to play, Sexy supermodel curves and lovely grain. [/i]
[i]and a 1984 Black'n'gold 1 ,, 'none more black' [/i]
[i]Havnt got a favourite apart from the last one I picked up !![/i]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68173]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:38205]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68172]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68171]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mitchallica' timestamp='1327965883' post='1519792']
@ Muttley and Wilco

Guess What Guys!

I do get sound but im not sure if both pickups work!

Two switches broken :0(

No. 4061574
Made In Japan

[attachment=98729:IMAG0105.jpg][attachment=98730:IMAG0108.jpg]
[/quote]

For the pickups, try the screwdriver test. Turn your amp way down low & the vol/tones on the bass all the way up, then tap the pole pieces with the tip of a screwdriver - you should get a pop or thud. No pop could equal a dead pickup.

Those switches can be prone to breaking if they get a hard life - [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/electronics/switches/mini-switch-dpdt-on-on-2-p-4055.html"]Allparts[/url] do the correct pattern replacements (or as near as you're likely to find).

I'd expect the wiring to be the same as my factory stock RSB Deluxe-5 where the toggles are a series/parallel switch for each pickup:

Pete.

[quote name='Mitchallica' timestamp='1328300479' post='1525293']
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately it looks like only one pickup is working (The upper)
Your pictures look a lot (If not the same as) my wiring like you said

Cheers
Mitch[/quote]

That's a bugger. But just to double check - Did you have both volumes & tones wound all the way up? They interact on mine, so if one's down you get nothing.

Also... Is that the Jack Socket next to the bridge, or what's left of a pickup selector toggle switch?

Even if all the above check out, all may not be lost... If it's the same as the ones on my TSB-400, they're not potted so a repair or rewind is likely to be an option.

Pop the strings off, take out the four bolts (DON'T LOSE THEM!) & have a gander at the underneath - if you see a brass plate you're in luck. Prise it off (mine were glued in with Evo-Stik) & the pickup bobbin will be revealed. It ought to come straight out, but might be Stikked down as well.

If you're really lucky it's just a pickup wire come off & that can be reattached - if not then it could be a rewind.

However... if it turns out the pickup [u][i]is[/i][/u] potted (with epoxy, the swines), disconnect it from any switches, bung a multimeter across the wires & measure the resistance - use a low scale (less than 100 Ohms). Could be the switch is well 'n' truly mullered and that's what's causing it.

If all else fails, contact Aaron Armstrong through WD Music. He can supply a drop-in replacement. They're not the same tonally, but there's not much wrong with them.

Also, if you do end up having to get a replacement, PM me as I'll gladly have the dead one off you for a reasonable sum.

Pete.

[quote name='Mitchallica' timestamp='1327965883' post='1519792']
@ Muttley and Wilco

Guess What Guys!

I do get sound but im not sure if both pickups work!

Two switches broken :0(

No. 4061574
Made In Japan

[attachment=98729:IMAG0105.jpg][attachment=98730:IMAG0108.jpg]
[/quote]

Just seen this!

My bass was in worse condition than that when i first got it - well worth putting the effort in to get it back to its former glory.

I'm now gigging with mine & couldn't be happier with it!!