Why become a member? ×

perfect bass for functions band

lojo

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='830880' date='May 7 2010, 06:02 PM']I'm all for the banning of "second" or "rhythm" guitardists. :)[/quote]
Two of the bands I'm in (well, three, I suppose[1]) have two guitarists - in fact, the vocalist in the rock covers band also plays guitar on about 50% of the band. Somehow or other, we cope.

[1] The originals band has spawned a covers band which is the originals band plus a couple of vocalists

My Fender Jaguar has an enormous range of sounds available to it - my band #1 do 50s stuff through some slightly heavy 70s tracks to some 'modern' poppy rock type stuff and there's a sound there for everything. Well, except maybe I have never been happy with it for heavier rock, don't know why - but we don't do much of that. The other band does, but I use my new Westone Thunder which lives up to it's name rather.

I don't think I've had a bass that wasn't used in a function band that I've been in. My East equipped Spectors are very versatile for the smorgasbord of songs played but I'm tending to favour passive basses at the moment for these kind of gigs as it's one less thing to worry about. My Yam BB2024x has P/J pups, a three-way selector and a very responsive tone pot and gets me all the sounds I need.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='830590' date='May 7 2010, 12:46 PM']I agree with Bilbo, any decent set up will do the job. A simple passive Fender style bass will be reliable and cover most of what you need

I'd advise against getting a Status unless you're over 46 and don't need to appear attractive to women :lol:[/quote]
and all that from a warwick/stagg/aria(even fender?) owner!!!
:) :rolleyes:
handbags aloft vic&bob/shooting stars style "OOOOHHHH!!!!!"
W
(Status owner & 45 and a quarter years old)

Status owner and 47 years old...

I've played in a functions trio for over 10 years. I've found the best alrounder to be, well a Status.
The Streamline is nice and light for long gigs, balances well, never goes out of tune and can cover all the sounds my previous Fenders and current MM. The looks aren't to everyones taste but hey...

[quote name='witterth' post='831529' date='May 8 2010, 03:44 PM']and all that from a warwick/stagg/aria(even fender?) owner!!!
:) :rolleyes:
handbags aloft vic&bob/shooting stars style "OOOOHHHH!!!!!"
W
(Status owner & 45 and a quarter years old)[/quote]

:lol:

They look like Fisher Price Alembics! :lol:

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='831120' date='May 7 2010, 11:21 PM']Two words - the first one is 'Rolling'...

:lol:[/quote]
Second, stones? perchance? :)
aye, but they were shiyt£ werent they?
(dons tin hat, "in coming!!")
:rolleyes:
no Hijack intended btw!!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='831558' date='May 8 2010, 04:23 PM']:)

They look like Fisher Price Alembics! :lol:[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol:
God they DO!! dont they?

you know..ya bugg*r ya!! :lol: :lol:

I suppose I should confess I use a stingray nearly all the time now though.('cos of what the 80s did! but the status sounds SO much better)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='830590' date='May 7 2010, 12:46 PM']I agree with Bilbo, any decent set up will do the job. A simple passive Fender style bass will be reliable and cover most of what you need

I'd advise against getting a Status unless you're over 46 and don't need to appear attractive to women :rolleyes:[/quote]

I usually say to women, "Look at the carbon fibre weave on the neck of my bass, it's like a Formula 1 car. Do you like Formula 1?"

It's funny watching them fall over things trying to run away. :)

But pretty much any good bass will do the job for a functions band, it's more about the playing.

Kubicki with the 6 way switching option

Position 1 = off - saves needing a mute on the amp
2 = something close to an active Jazz with decent onboard tonal options as well
3 = a bit like the above but with some lower end bass boost & mid scoop, ok for a solo or when you need a bit more oomph
4 = passive Jazzy sounds
5 = passive mid cut
6 = passive treble cut for a decent P sound

Gives you enough range to cover a lot of cover band needs without a pedalboard or lots of amp fiddling :)

It's also light, small bodied and virtually no headstock for those tight spaces on cramped stage, lol

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='830590' date='May 7 2010, 12:46 PM']I'd advise against getting a Status unless you're over 46 and don't need to appear attractive to women :lol:[/quote]

Obviously needing to appear attractive to women is a problem you're having - How long have you been buying the single man's tin of beans & sausages, then? :rolleyes:

In answer to the OP, many basses will do the function band setup really well. Make sure you get something that cuts through the mix well, though. I don't know about you, but I hate my sound being buried alive! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

In a functions band, you're going to be playing an awfully long time every gig, so whichever bass you go for make sure it's not too heavy and has a neck that's comfortable to you. Don't get too hug up on the tone, the only people actively listening to you are yourself, one or two of your band-mates (if they know what they're doing) and the very few bassists in your audience.

[quote name='clauster' post='831830' date='May 8 2010, 11:15 PM']In a functions band, you're going to be playing an awfully long time every gig, so whichever bass you go for make sure it's not too heavy and has a neck that's comfortable to you. Don't get too hug up on the tone, the only people actively listening to you are yourself, one or two of your band-mates (if they know what they're doing) and the very few bassists in your audience.[/quote]
Too,...Too true!!
A good "heads up", Mr C

Got to agree with the weight thing....

However, what I will suggest is buy the most expensive bass you can. If you get regular gigs in a function band you can justify the most expensive bass you like, offset it against tax and those "very few bassists in your audience" will be green with envy :) Maybe even buy a couple, just to sit in the spare guitar stand, a Wal, Alembic and a 60's Precision for starters !!!

Edited by largo

[quote name='molan' post='831655' date='May 8 2010, 06:29 PM']Kubicki with the 6 way switching option[/quote]

***Christ, I had my first Status Graphite bass when I was 18! A Stealth 6 string!

But I'd go for a Kubicki as my ultimate function band bass. It's light and super comfy, just sits perfectly on me! The fact that it doesn't ssound like a P or a J bass doesn't really matter, because I bought it because it sounds like a Kubicki! I had a 1989 Kubicki when I was 16 and I traded it for the Status when I was 18. Now I've got another 1989 Kubicki Ex Factor. Those Ex Factors, they look incredible and can also fool people into thinking you can really play, saying as Stuart Hamm and Victor Wooten play them!

I also believe you should always have a fretless bass for functions bands, and my Alembic fretless 5 covers this.