Why become a member? ×

perfect bass for functions band

lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='830260' date='May 7 2010, 06:28 AM']What do you guys think the perfect bass is for a 5 piece pop style functions band, music from your nan's favorites, to disco through Kylie to modern x factor winner type pop acts?[/quote]

My weapon of choice for this is a Status Kingbass 5 String Graphite in my avatar. It's light, 32" scale and headless so great for tighter spaces.... Never goes out of tune (often left on the stand between sets in Garden Marquees and outdoor stages) and has a great range of sounds.

I was gonna say Status too! Never played a KingBass, but my series II headless is the most versatile sounding bass I have ever played. OK, it can't do a perfect J or P tone, but it gets damn close and does many more too. Not that it's a mimic or soundalike, but with the combination of the graphite neck/body section for sustain and stability, the warm tone woods, Status pups and 18v active circuitry - it does the lot. Never goes out of tune, takes the knocks and comes back for more.... I can never understand why they are still a "niche" instrument - they are brilliant!

Oh, and it looks really good with a suit too!!

EDIT: And they were much more commonly used in the 80s, so a lot of the sounds you are trying to capture may well have been played on a Status! Status Quo (of course!), Tears for Fears, It Bites, Marillion, Level 42....

Edited by Conan

Nearly every bass I've owned has been used in my wedding band from my 8 string to my 6 string fretless, Warwick, Modulus Flea, loads of Fenders, Squiers, Bass Collection, Rickenbackers etc.

The way I see it, as long as you're happy with the sound on stage and you can be heard clearly with the rest of the band through the PA then go for whatever you like playing.

I'm currently using a Squier VM Jazz bass and loving it. My HB 5 string fretless will be along any day so once I get it set up the way I like it, I will be using that as well.

If my Aria doesn't sell then I'll have it out next weekend

[quote name='Delberthot' post='830300' date='May 7 2010, 08:10 AM']The way I see it, as long as you're happy with the sound on stage and you can be heard clearly with the rest of the band through the PA then go for whatever you like playing.[/quote]

This.

I use a Precision, Jazz and Stingray in function bands. They all sound great, but I find the Jazz easier to play so it gets more outings.

Agree with the others, anything YOU feel sounds good and plays well will do.
I guess a Fender would be playing it safe if you are trying to sound authentic but with so many different basses used on the originals its pointless trying to get it spot on IMHO.
I might add that maybe a 5 string will help if your changing the keys for some songs but i dont think its necessary.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='830345' date='May 7 2010, 08:57 AM']Agree with the others, anything YOU feel sounds good and plays well will do.
I guess a Fender would be playing it safe if you are trying to sound authentic but with so many different basses used on the originals its pointless trying to get it spot on IMHO.
I might add that maybe a 5 string will help if your changing the keys for some songs but i dont think its necessary.[/quote]

Thanks for the replies

Fortunately the singer sticks to original keys so I am hoping to get away without having to go 5 string this time round

I am a fender guy at heart, but its nice to see what you guys consider versatile enough to to this range of stuff

Edited by lojo

I've used a 5 string Lakland for practically every gig I've done in the last 10 years, from acoustic duo's to a Led Zep tribute and recording sessions. Everyone else uses something different and we all sound good enough.

What Bilbo said.

Lately, for function work I've been favouring my Fender deluxe Jazz 5,but to be honest it's because
it's a pretty new purchase rather than it being the 'best'.
If you've got a good,working instrument it doesn't matter what brand it is.

my "new" band are aiming at being a function band with a good mix of music.
my stingray is ace for disco/funk & general pop but i find it a bit harsh for the soul songs we're doing, so i've recently switch to a Fender Jazz & that suits everthing we do.

[quote name='lojo' post='830260' date='May 7 2010, 06:28 AM']What do you guys think the perfect bass is for a 5 piece pop style functions band, music from your nan's favorites, to disco through Kylie to modern x factor winner type pop acts?[/quote]

Just get any old bass.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='830590' date='May 7 2010, 12:46 PM']I'd advise against getting a Status unless you're over 46 and don't need to appear attractive to women :)[/quote]

Ouch! :lol: :rolleyes:

I've done the function band bit. Masonic functions, working men's clubs, dinner dances, the whole bit. The lead guitarist in the band hated what was my all-time favourite bass at the time, because it was too ballsy and too deep for his liking. I used a Fender Precision Lyte and they are just great. Basically all he wanted to hear was his guitar.

Any bass with a good all-round range of tones that you can switch between easily would do the job. Never had one myself, but seen and heard several - I'd reckon a MusicMan may be the very thing.

Good luck.

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='830650' date='May 7 2010, 01:40 PM']The lead guitarist in the band..... all he wanted to hear was his guitar.[/quote]

No! Really? Do guitarists like this exist? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='830653' date='May 7 2010, 01:44 PM']No! Really? Do guitarists like this exist? :)[/quote]

Ha, one band I play with has 2 guitarists, I suggested having one song in each set where we only feature one guitar, meaning he'd drop out for one song! he went mad, cant even drop out for a bar, fortunately my other band has better dynamics or Id go mad

"Just get any old bass" I agree anything would work, its how well you play etc, but as someone else said "trainspotting" is fun for some

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='830826' date='May 7 2010, 05:07 PM']Ha, one band I play with has 2 guitarists, I suggested having one song in each set where we only feature one guitar, meaning he'd drop out for one song! he went mad, cant even drop out for a bar, fortunately my other band has better dynamics or Id go mad

"Just get any old bass" I agree anything would work, its how well you play etc, but as someone else said "trainspotting" is fun for some[/quote]

I know exactly where you're coming from here - I played in a functions trio for many years & suddenly the singer/guitardist wanted to add his mate into the mix as a second guitar. It was horrible. Like trying to play against a wall of nonsense noise & I actually had to play less! Most of you who have played in trios will know that you have to play a lot more when there's only the one guitar.

I'm all for the banning of "second" or "rhythm" guitardists. :)