Why become a member? ×

Valve Preamp or Pedal (BDDI,Valvedrive).....

nottswarwick

Hi

Right, current rig is:

Littlemark II
Markbass Traveler 2*10, and/or
Markbass Std 210 (the bigger one).

Main bass - G&L USA L2500. I am now back in love with this bass, and it can do a great P-Bass sound in passive mode, whcih is good, as the reason for my posting is as follows:

Above rig is great for my Function band - deep, clean, clear, versatile. However, I am starting to do some work with a powerful Indie Pop/Rock outfit, and I need the SVT style sound, using the passive P-bass mode on my G&L.

The Littlemark cannot really do the "edge of tube distortion" thing, so I am wondering what to do.

Options seem to be:

1. New amp head for the new band - SVT / SVT Pro. But not keen on this - heavy!
2. Valve preamp driving the littlemark power section via effects return.
3. Pedal type thiny - BDDI / EBS VAlvedrive...what else is there.

So, what would you do, ar what DO you do?

Anything you could recommend?

Cheers

Chris

I've used a Sansamp for 10+ years (with SWR, GK, Eden and now EA amps) to give a bit of added "warmth" or "edge"when needed. Its easy to overdo it, but with a bit of messing around you can use it in subtle ways (as well as full blown fuzzzz). The blend control is the key, a well as being careful with the eq.

I've also got an old Alembic preamp - its fantastic, as valve as valve can be etc but there are plenty of times when I don't want to be carrying 19" racks about.

BB

I've been here before myself...

And here's the result...

I own an Ampeg SVP-pro pre-amp, a Hartke VXL bass attack, A Peavey MAX pre-amp and a Trace SMX head (plus a busted QSC power-amp)

Nothing but nothing sounds like slightly edgy tubes.
With the Pre-amp >> Power amp (or head driven via FX return), you don't get the power tube crunch and compression as the power stage is almost invariably going to be Solid State. You DO get lighter weight, though.

I'd keep the LM, and drive its power stage via a pre-amp (be it rack or pedal based) That gives you the light weight, and the versatility of being able to use the LM via its own internal pre-amp. If you bought an SVT, you'd not have that option.

I've come to appreciate what the Peavey is trying to do... Even if it is a jack of all trades (master of none!) It has switchable & Blendable SS and Valve Stages, each with separate gain / output level controls and a separate EQ for each. This (theoretically) gives you the best of both;
Flick a switch on the G&L, dab a footswitch, and your entire sound can change between two separate settings. Unfortunately, it's no match for the subtle to brutal ability of the Ampeg, is noisier than my Trace or Hartke, and thumps when switched from SS to Valve and vice-versa.

For alternatives that offer this degree of flexiblity (racks brain...), check out the Ampeg SVP-CL, The Sansamp BDDI (programmable), MXR 80, EBS Microbass and The Sansamp Rack mount units (RPM, RBI and PSA)

In my experience, The SVP-Pro works well with American made/ designed basses;

Fender, Musicman, G&L etc. and can readily tame any top-end excess without sounding dull, yet retaining warmth and allowing you to dial in as much OD as is desired, either by overdriving the input AX7, using the soft drive AU7, or both. It doesn't allow you a "clean" sound, though. There's just the one channel.

Hi Chris, I've just bought an EBS Microbass II and I think it's brilliant. You can do all sorts of things with it including adding 'drive' and 'edge' to you sound but it is subtle. I used to have an EBS Valve Drive too and that added some nice drive and warmth without compromising on articulation.

Both expensive to buy but IMO worth the outlay.

I have settings on my line 6 XT pro for this kind of sound, and they shape up really well in the studio and live. I found some valve pedals to be a bit too fuzzy sounding, whereas I wanted a more clanky subtle grind. [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Line6%20Bass%20Pod%20XT%20Pro%20samples/svt%20Rendered.mp3"]Here[/url] is a short and shabby sample of one setting. This one beefs up really nicely through the PA. The nice thing is with the pod you have so much control over the sound, you can really create whatever you want if you have the patience!

Cheers
ped

I think that a BDDI is by far the best way to go - you don't need to be 100% accurate with the sound, just something to nail it on gigs. Don't bother with the Behringer, it's a false economy as it's a noisy chunk of plastic in comparison with a less noisy lump of metal that will last years in the case of the sansamp.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='90803' date='Nov 19 2007, 01:41 PM']I think that a BDDI is by far the best way to go - you don't need to be 100% accurate with the sound, just something to nail it on gigs. Don't bother with the Behringer, it's a false economy as it's a noisy chunk of plastic in comparison with a less noisy lump of metal that will last years in the case of the sansamp.[/quote]

Absolutely. :) :huh:

Hey chris hows things? When did you get that traveler cab hows it going?

I have been after that tube sund for quite awhile now I can quite happily say I've been through and have in my possesion a number of ways of acheiving it.

First port of call I tried a DHA VT2 Dual thought it was ok nothing to write home about (later to be told it must have been damaged before I got or during transit as the person after me had it fixed and said it sounded stunning, I should have spent more time with it)

Then moved onto trying a trave V-type pre amp into the markbass LMII sounded nice gave the valve warmth but never realy gets the power tube overdrive edge of distortion sound. I also at the same time got a DHA VT1 Purist now this was a lovely little pedal and did in my view a better job than the V-type pre so I sold the V-type and kept the Purist.

Then I spotted a Mesa boogie walkabout on ebay snaped that up and that became my favorite tone over the LMII and purist. But it wasn't quite on the edge of distortion tone I'd changed my mind slightly and favoured solid again but ti was a short lived thing. But Purist went with my big pedal clear out (silly move no job and a summer ment it had to happen)

Then I went in search of a valve power amp to drive things an a new preamp failed couldn't find anything. As a result of searching got put onto DHA again so I ended up ordering a DHA VT5-400 which is his new amp.

Im hopfuly about to write a full review after this weekend and sit down and look at the amp in more depth and do some proper comparisons between the LMII, MB walkabout, a Trave elliot V6 and the DHA VT5-400.

But it does the valve drive and power and pre drive better than anything else I have tried at low volumes you dont have to push it super hard to get the drive. But the DHA purist was a good way to get 70% there without changing amp. Im told the EBS valve drive does the same job with more powerful EQ. Also the warwick tubepath 10.1 is ment to be of similar design and idea.

So thats my path to where I am now on my search for valve drive/warmth with a sweet clean tone. Lovely story resulting with this in my living room: