Why become a member? ×

Bass Fuzz

E sharp

Apologies if this has already been done .

After a Bass Fuzz in the near future .
I'm currently using a G5 for a couple of Muse songs , but would like something a bit smaller .
I was thinking , a fuzz might do the trick to cover the synthy type sounds .
I've done a search on Talkbass , and the ZVEX Mastotron seems to tick all the boxes . They seem to have a choice of loads of pedals over the pond , with The Wooly Mammoth getting good reviews , unless you use active basses , which I do .
The Mastotron has good reviews , and is small , which is a good thing .

Anyone had any dealings with them ? Or any other pedals of the ilk ?

The Mastotron is ace, currently my fuzz of choice. Works very well with bass and has the impedance buffer so is ok with actives too. Can do synthy fuzz to full on heavy fuzz, tiny little box too. Guitar Village currenly do it for £89, that's who i got mine off

Also consider a Russian Big Muff and MXR Blowtorch, although you'll have to use a 9v battery clip adapter with the Muff and an 18v power supply with the Blowtorch, both sound great though and the Blowtorch may be just what you're after. There's quite a few fuzzes you should try out as they're a matter of personal taste.

There's loads of fuzz pedals out there.

Best site to help you:

www.bassfuzz.com

I got the Malekko assmaster silicon and its a wickid sounding pedal, but each to their own and all pedals are sound sampled on the site.

ZVEX = grossly overpriced

(insert verbal abuse HERE from zvex owners, with extra abuse for me in particular for owning a mammoth clone which cost very little to build)

Hope bassfuzz sorts you out!

Rich

The Mastotron isn't all that expensive, i got mine for £76 new and they're £89 now. Some Zvex pedals are stupidly expensive (£220+ for a Wooly Mammoth? no ta!) but the Mastotron is IMO opinion reasonably priced, especially considering it has features most other fuzz pedals lack suck as impedance, wave shape and the 3 way sub switch

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='827001' date='May 3 2010, 11:54 PM']The Mastotron isn't all that expensive, i got mine for £76 new and they're £89 now. Some Zvex pedals are stupidly expensive (£220+ for a Wooly Mammoth? no ta!) but the Mastotron is IMO opinion reasonably priced, especially considering it has features most other fuzz pedals lack suck as impedance, wave shape and the 3 way sub switch[/quote]

havn't seen these looks much more reasonably priced! any bass videos/demos anywhere??

rich

[quote name='richrips' post='827027' date='May 4 2010, 12:28 AM']havn't seen these looks much more reasonably priced! any bass videos/demos anywhere??[/quote]

And here's the official ZVEX Video:

[url="http://media1.zvex.com/mastotron.mov"]http://media1.zvex.com/mastotron.mov[/url]

[quote name='richrips' post='827027' date='May 4 2010, 12:28 AM']havn't seen these looks much more reasonably priced! any bass videos/demos anywhere??

rich[/quote]

They're part of Zvex's cheaper range, made overseas and the final assembly is done in the USA. There's a review here with some clips too:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48041&hl=mastotron"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=mastotron[/url]

Because it has the impedance knob it likes active basses, i used it with a passive Jazz and my Zoot (18v Aguilar pre) and it was happy with both.

[quote name='burno70' post='827941' date='May 4 2010, 09:53 PM']Me too. Have you tried one? And can I have you super collider should you decide to invest?[/quote]

I also would't mind the Supercollider, eheh! I had a ODB-3 and found it interesting but it wasn't what i was looking for. Now i have a Markbass Distorsore and it gives a great sound, the ol and high pass filters are very helpfull.
Now i'm going to add a Bass Big Muff to the collection but as soon as i can save some more i'm going boutique with the Pickle Pie B, the best fuzz i've ever heard :)

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='827928' date='May 4 2010, 09:40 PM']I am currently gassing for a Blackout Effectors Musket v2, it could potentially replace my Supercollider and Bass Big Muff.[/quote]

what's the diff between v1 and v2, any idea?

I'm using a v1 and it sounds pretty good.

yeah the Mammoth is horribly expensive; but IME nothing touches it for synthy gated fuzz and it is equally delicous with the gate and synthyness rolled off. Yeah, I know it doesn't like active....so shouldn't everyone have a P Bass somewhere in their arsenal, even a budget one or maybe a clone?

I've got the Mastotron too and it is a great pedal for the money, very versatile and covers quite a good impression of a Mammoth too.

I GAS for a Pickle Pie B and a silicon Assmaster, wouldn't mind a tasty Muff too.
Would love to try The Goose as well, that sounds very synthy on demos and has some nice features.

The only other dirt I use is a Catalinbread SFT and that is truly I great pedal too IMO.

However, if i could only take one dirt pedal to a desert island, i wouldn't even blink before choosing the Mammoth.
If you get one and learn how to get the most out of it, you'll find it really is worth the money. If it's too expensive new, look out for a used one on TB, they come up for a reasonable price from time to time.

; but if I couldn't only take one to a desert islan

I guess noone ever heard of an experience pedal? Here is one on ebay:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Prescription-Electronics-Experience-Pedal-/180507776066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a071a1442"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Prescription-Electroni...=item2a071a1442[/url]

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='834731' date='May 11 2010, 09:38 PM']I GAS for a Pickle Pie B and a silicon Assmaster, wouldn't mind a tasty Muff too.[/quote]

The PPB is the best bass-friendly Muff ever, IMO. I ended up trading mine for a Mammoth because I didn't really need a Muffy fuzz, but if I did want a Muff I would get another PPB. I don't like the new green he's using now though, the original dark green ones were beautiful.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='834731' date='May 11 2010, 09:38 PM']However, if i could only take one dirt pedal to a desert island, i wouldn't even blink before choosing the Mammoth.[/quote]

It's a bit of a one-trick pony though TBH. It's a great sound but it really only does that one sound.

But then you could say the same about all my favourite pedals. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='839771' date='May 17 2010, 02:09 PM']The PPB is the best bass-friendly Muff ever, IMO.

that's good to know, it makes me GAS even harder for a PPB

re Mammoth
It's a bit of a one-trick pony though TBH. It's a great sound but it really only does that one sound.

Fair comment; although I think you can get a bit more out of it than one sound by mucho tweakage of pinch and other controls. However in truth, the non-extreme-gate-synth sounds are probably done better by other pedals.[/quote]

Edited by Bassnut62