Why become a member? ×

Slap

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1354578607' post='1887767']
I learnt how to slap watching Les Claypool.
[/quote]

^This. Never quite got the whole "flea" influence, Les was the man for me. Also why I have no qualms slapping my fretless basses.
I saw him attack his bass on "My name is Mud", and so I copied his movements, as you did before the Internet...Hurt like hell because I kept hitting my knuckle, but I got there. :-P

When it came to Victor Wooten it was a big change, because I'd gotten used to double slapping strings (not double thumping) ala Claypool with great stamina...To go to Wooten who uses less movements.
These days I combine the two.

I know there's controversy about the technique and true, it seems it's all some players do. But to each their own, one man's thumb is another mans pick. Weapons in the arsenal and all. :-P

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1354661634' post='1888966']

They had some boss tunes given that they were just kids. Lots of talent in that band.

I still love the fact that they got that 'What the **** was that?' sample broadcast on Radio 1 every day for f***ing ages! Kudos. :)
[/quote]

Actually there was one talent,Ian himself,which is why he's now a very wealthy man living in the States and the rest (apart from Zac,poor sod) are working for a living.I had a hint of his genius when we were in a few of our youthful punk pands.And Ian was 26 when he started EMF,not quite a kid!