Why become a member? ×

Bass Lessons

JackLondon

Just had my second lesson with Johnny Copland ( www.johnnycopland.com ) and I love it. We looked at my right and left hand technique and so many things came up that I didn't realise where holding me back and making my bass playing crap.

To anyone considering lessons, do it, you will not regret it, I've been playing for 13 years but I never learned so many things as I did today. Absolutely brilliant.

Cheers
Jack

I took some lessons with Gareth Morgan (he of Guitar & Bass Magazine fame) when I first returned to playing bass and it was totally worthwhile. For those who have a pretty good grasp of the instrument, it's the tiny things that creep into your performance which are actually a hinderance to your playing that these guys can highlight so quickly and help you eradicate. Definitely worth going back occasionally as a kind of MOT or to work on something specific that you'd like to improve.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='823755' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:08 AM']Steve Lawson is in Catford, not really next door but well worth it and reasonably priced.[/quote]
Thanks David but a bit far for me - was thinking of a one hour lesson on a Saturday morning. Catford on a Saturday would probably be an hours drive each way and Mrs Clarky would not approve of a three hour absence (kids homework and all that), especially if I then disappear off to the match in the afternoon !

[quote name='Clarky' post='823731' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:50 AM']Does anyone know of a good teacher in SW London (I am near Hammersmith). I seriously need lessons![/quote]

Dave Marks teaches in Acton which ain't too far: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79181&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79181&hl=[/url]

i spent too long ignoring people who said i had a weird technique and that i needed to read music. 6 months at acm and im completely different, a whole new right technique and the left is now solid (for such small hands)! And i think im at quite a good level of reading.

So yh bass lessons. Worth having with anyone who's good enough to teach!

[quote name='Clarky' post='823759' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:11 AM']Thanks David but a bit far for me - was thinking of a one hour lesson on a Saturday morning. Catford on a Saturday would probably be an hours drive each way and Mrs Clarky would not approve of a three hour absence (kids homework and all that), especially if I then disappear off to the match in the afternoon ![/quote]

I would kill for a teacher that close!

And since when has a child's education been more important than yours? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='823731' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:50 AM']I [b]seriously[/b] need lessons![/quote]

Don't get yourself down about it, everyone needs lessons from time to time. I'm with you on the time. Where I am it's a veritable desert for any tuition. (I'm hoping someone will say I'm wrong at this juncture :) ie that there are no bass tutors in North Devon).

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Clarky' post='823731' date='Apr 30 2010, 09:50 AM']Does anyone know of a good teacher in SW London (I am near Hammersmith). I seriously need lessons![/quote]

Hi Clarky, I teach and am currently based in Acton. Please feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any info.

[quote name='Stickman' post='826996' date='May 3 2010, 11:47 PM']Hi Clarky, I teach and am currently based in Acton. Please feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any info.[/quote]
Hi there, thanks but another nearby teacher (in Chiswick) contacted me after seeing this thread and I will see how that goes. All the best, Clarky

Clarky, if you don't get alright with the Chiswick one, a very good friend of mine is in Acton, excellent player and even better guy, lemme know if you want his number!
I'm pretty sure he does privates, he teaches at one of the schools

Si

[quote name='Pixel Pirate' post='828501' date='May 5 2010, 03:03 PM']Anyone know of any guys that teach around the midlands area? I live In Stoke on Trent. I'd love to have some lessons to get me moving again, seem to have lost all momentum. Must be great to get feedback from real pro's![/quote]

That'll be me then.

PM me if you're interested.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='823264' date='Apr 29 2010, 07:13 PM']Just had my second lesson with Johnny Copland ( www.johnnycopland.com ) and I love it. We looked at my right and left hand technique and so many things came up that I didn't realise where holding me back and making my bass playing crap.

To anyone considering lessons, do it, you will not regret it, I've been playing for 13 years but I never learned so many things as I did today. Absolutely brilliant.

Cheers
Jack[/quote]
hey man! thanks for the great tip, looks like great material
Good luck Richard :)